pop - top insulation

southpier

Expedition Leader
how practical is it to fit insulative panels to the pop - top sections of a, well, pop - up style camper? either flexible or rigid panels? at what point does the cold or, maybe more frequently, wind, require the unit to be dropped and life goes "underground"? thanks

sumnrfam

Southpier,, we have an Eagle, along with the factory 'Thermal Pack' (great option), and love Winter camping. I made up an additional 'layer' of insulation to take along on the coldest weather trips, and in the low teens it made a pretty big difference (subjectively).

I used 'Reflectix' double foil/bubble roll insulation. I purchased the 25 foot x 48" roll , and cut it in half to 12.5'. On the Eagle camper, this is long enough to cover front to back and wrap just past the lifting panels front and rear. I then measured from the upper 'edge' of the "pocket" formed behind the velcro panel for the Thermal pack, down to the felt covered horizontal surface at the bottom of the pop up sides.

I used this measurement to rip the width of the rolls, and then lined everything up and cut in just the upper half of the rear windows so I could fold them down for ventilation. The fit is snug enough top to bottom, that we end up with the outer wall, then a small airspace, the reflectix panel, another small airspace, and then the Thermal Pack.

The nice thing is it is really easy to deploy and the rolls (driver/passenger side) roll down to about 8" diameter and weigh next to nothing. Once we get to camp, I install the thermal pack from the front all the way back, and before tucking it in, I unroll the leading edge, and just 'feed' the reflectix roll in behind and push it along to the front until the window opening cut lines up. Then tuck everything in and voila'.....

Removal is just as easy, just untuck the thermal pack and pull out/roll up the reflectix roll.

Obvoiusly the thermal pack could be left in when traveling (and we sometimes will when/if moving camp day to day, but otherwise I remove it and store it in the factory bag.) while the reflectix rolls have to be removed, but the removal/install is probably less than 5 minutes for both sides, so well worth it.

I finally picked up a Propex HS2000 used here on the portal, so excited to get that sorted out and the long wait begins for cold weather to see how it works out.

As far as weather getting ugly enough outside to 'require' us to drop the top,, we have not gotten there yet, including some 35-40+ mph gust winds and heavy downpour rain along the coast, as well as some pretty severe winds last fall in the sierras. Hope this helps a bit,, regards,

Wade

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-...MIvNr_zeOo2gIVBBBpCh0biwdWEAQYBSABEgLxoPD_BwE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz