Pop up camper build Oct 2019

Cooper2019

So I started building my own pop up camper in October 2019.

I thought of building one many years ago and the thought went by the wayside until I saw a camper on a back of a Toyota Tacoma in a general store it look awesome .in July 2019 .

I approached the owner who was glad to show me his build, he also sent me some pictures ,his is a hard top though.

I had a rough idea on what I wanted to do and did a rough sketch and very rough planning .

If you plan to build one take extra time to plan it carefully, unfortunately I just found this forum a couple of weeks ago ,but did a lot of research on the internet and watched a lot of Youtube.

I also had to learn how to weld aluminium, I could barley weld steel.

I had a mig welder and bought the wire and switched the gas that didn’t work so well it kept bird nesting.

So I went to Canadian Tire and bought a spool gun, went to hook it up ,my welder wasn't set up for a spool gun.

Off I go and get a welder that will take the gun.( my wife thinks its the original LOL).

With a bit of trial and error I got not to bad at the welding ,thank god for grinders ,spent more time then I should on that.,but that did help find some places where the weld wasn't good so re weld and grind down.

I would have been a lot farther along but did some modifications as I went along, mostly things I wasn't happy with ,( structural) ,but probably could have left alone.

I did curved corners on the bed overhang which was a bit of a challenge but they turned out great ,one thing I should have done is made each end longer so I didn't have to add to the lengths .

I made a jig up to make cuts in where the curve was going and welded all 6 pieces together, I then attach a ratchet strap to each end and tighten it up until I was 90 dig. Then welded in supports to hold the 90.

If you decide to do this use a radial arm saw ,I used a trim saw and cut close to a couple of the outside edges and almost had one split ,but all worked out not too bad

I weighed the frame after completing cleaning up welds, not including the roof it weighed approx178 lbs

I went to Princess auto and bought some snowmobile casters which is great for moving it around, which works great.

I put 1/4 inch mahogany on the exterior with PL construction floor adhesive and self tapping screws, hindsight though I should have just used the glue ,but I sometimes don't have the patients to wait for things to dry and with colder weather it doesn't set up fast and my shop isn't heated .So I am just starting to fill in spaces and the screw divots ,getting ready for the exterior .

I am planning on putting on a bed liner spray on the exterior.

Still thinking on a lift system for the roof and the camper itself, its a bit front heavy and I want something that if we take it off and use it i don't want it tipping ahead.

I posted some pictures and they are not in any typical order and will post more as I move forward .

Hope to work on it tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG-1269.JPG
    IMG-1269.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG-1270.JPG
    IMG-1270.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG-1271.JPG
    IMG-1271.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG-1272.JPG
    IMG-1272.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG-1277.JPG
    IMG-1277.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG-1278.JPG
    IMG-1278.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 138

Cooper2019

Here are more pics,making sure it fits .

Attachments

• IMG-1351.JPG
    IMG-1351.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG-1352.JPG
    IMG-1352.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG-1389.JPG
    IMG-1389.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG-1390.JPG
    IMG-1390.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG-1391.JPG
    IMG-1391.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 109

Cooper2019

Some More

Attachments

• IMG-1411.JPG
    IMG-1411.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG-1412.JPG
    IMG-1412.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG-1413.JPG
    IMG-1413.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG-1415.JPG
    IMG-1415.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG-1416.JPG
    IMG-1416.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 98

Superduty

Adventurer
That looks like a very well made structure. Should handle anything you throw at it.

Thanks for taking us along on this build. Looking forward to the next phase.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Very Cool!! I'll be following along closely.

I've been wanting to do something similar but in a flatbed version. I have a older Miller 211 that will work with a spool gun, but I don't have one yet and have zero experience with using a spool gun. I've tig welded aluminum, but that was 20+ years ago.

Did you use just normal wood cutting blades for cutting the aluminum?
What size/gauge aluminum are you using?

Keep rolling!
-Chris

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Very Cool!! I'll be following along closely.
I've been wanting to do something similar but in a flatbed version. I have a older Miller 211 that will work with a spool gun, but I don't have one yet and have zero experience with using a spool gun. I've tig welded aluminum, but that was 20+ years ago.
Did you use just normal wood cutting blades for cutting the aluminum?
What size/gauge aluminum are you using?

I’m sure the op will share his approach but heres mine: for the amalgamated wedge camper project the aluminum thickness varied from .090-.240 thickness, 5052 & 6061. If you can lay down a nice bead with steel mig you should come up to speed quickly there are notable differences: with aluminum it will take more current and faster wired feeds, unlike tig where you can start hot then back off current the spool mig start cold so your technique will need to develop. Also clean your aluminum well. When buying a spool gun try and buy the higher end qun as the are closer to commercial level

i cut my alum with a carbide 50 tooth blade a 30 tooth will work too. I also use a metal saw so it is a 5 1/2” blade

Cooper2019

I used a non ferrous cutting blade on a Dewalt trim saw,cut good no issues ,used the same blade since I started .
The tubing is 1.5 " square 1/8" thick

Cooper2019

Yes I bought a cheaper spool gun and had to replace ,4 days before the warranty was up .I found that the gas and amp were more critical ,but I did a lot of grinding .
I used both wires 5035 and 4043 ,I ran out of the 5035 and couldn't get any anywhere ,so I talked to my local welding shop and the guy recommended the 4043 ,it has a bit more flex and won't crack as easily ,A bit easier to weld with as well,but believe me I am not expert ,A lot of trial and error

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I am liking where this is going...

Nice work on the frame, looks nice and light and more importantly, strong. Stalking...er I mean, following. ;)

Cooper2019

So I have been busy working on putting the exterior plywood on and preparing it for the exterior,I decided to go with a DIY spray on bedliner on the exterior ,so the pre has taken a bit longer,black on the underside and light grey on the roof and sides.

I found a source for the pop-up material .It's a vinyl material that is used in dairy barns ,a lot cheaper than anything online ,it comes in 43" wide and about $ 3.00 a ft. ,and I found a guy to sew in the windows for 35$/hour .

Now just trying to figure the best way to attach the vinyl to the camper and roof itself ,thinking just a aluminum flat bar or angle but I don't want the screws to rub or wear on the material.any suggestions would helpful.

Also trying to nail down a lifting system,thinking of getting some electric jacks ( missed out on some from Princess Auto that were on sale) and making it so it also acts like the belly bar when raised .

I will post some pictures when I have it turned up right and the roof plywood on.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
This is a fantastic project. Looks great! One comment on welding Aluminum. You can not have too clean a joint! Have a gallon of acetone nearby. whip everything the second before you weld/use it. Be sure to whip the welding rods (if TIG welding) with acetone just before use. Unfortunately with a spool gun, this is not possible. Have a dedicated stainless steel brush at the handy. Do not use it on anything buy your aluminum. Use it on every weld just before you commence to weld. If your welding joint and your rod is crazy clean, your welds will flow much better and you won't have all the black I'm seeing in your welds. Welding aluminum properly is an art form. Too much heat and it embrittles. Too little and there is no penetration. Dirty, contaminated welding area and all bets are off.......Good Luck!

Cooper2019

Thanks Roy, I did wire brush things though,I did keep an eye on thing when I was grinding and if there were any noticeable cracks or poor welds I did clean and hit them again.

Cooper2019

Finished with the plywood on the exterior and getting ready for putting on the exterior not quite done sanding .I rounded off the corners for a cleaner look .
I will post some pictures after I do the first coating ,decide on using Raptor Box spray on liner material .Light grey on the sides and top ,black on the bottom

Attachments

• IMG-1526.JPG
    IMG-1526.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG-1527.JPG
    IMG-1527.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG-1528.JPG
    IMG-1528.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 77

Forum statistics

Threads