Pop Up Truck camper for a family of 5? Possible?

Bama67

Here is the deal, we have had about every type of camper made, and have noticed they are all getting smaller and smaller and more mobile.

We like the idea of a truck camper, we thought about a new van buildout since you can now get the Transit in AWD, but the idea of $50k plus, just for the van gives me hives.

I have 2018 6.2 gas F250 4x4 Crew Cab with 8ft bed, I like the flatbed camper models for the additional space.

The ONLY problem is there is five of us, my wife and I, both normal sized, and a 10, 8 and 5 year old.
Yes I know manufacturers like Arctic Fox makes models with a pull down bunk that could sleep 5, but I am not interested in those 5,000lb top heavy monsters as we like to get way out there and that would require a dually.

Is there any way I am going to be able to swing a pop up with all of us?

plh

Explorer
are you thinking FWC style or GFC style? With 5 and 3 growing its going to be tight in any option.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I *believe* northstar had an option for a pop up that had a fold out bunk that might be your best option. Last time I looked at their website it talked about it being an option but I couldn't find any pricing info.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Growing up my family had a pop up truck camper that we used in the back of my dads '96 F350 with 8 foot bed. All 3 kids slept up top with plenty of room and the parents slept on the dinette that converted to a bed. Wasn't a ton of roof to stand around and do stuff, but as far as camping in it went there was plenty of room. I think a flatbed version would have plenty of room for you. Maybe even consider going the custom route?

Bama67

I am also kicking around the idea of building out one of the empty fiberglass shells like a SpaceKap or Maranda, although I wish I knew where to look at them in Colorado in person first.
FrankStewart_385P_002.jpg2-385-FO_MYR_004.jpgFrankStewart_385P_002.jpg2-385-FO_MYR_004.jpg

fireball

Explorer
3 up top in the queen bed. You and mom down below in the front dinette.

One of the kids could also sleep in the back of the truck that would let the two older ones sleep down below and give you and mom the nicer upper queen bed.

john61ct

Adventurer
If structural mount points incorporated into the design, hammocks work well for kiddies, slept for years with little ones just inches above, everything easily stowed next morning.

Not so much once the get full sized :cool:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I *believe* northstar had an option for a pop up that had a fold out bunk that might be your best option. Last time I looked at their website it talked about it being an option but I couldn't find any pricing info.

Yeah, I saw one for sale this summer ...an 8 footer with a soft sided tip out at the side dinette that created an extra single bunk.

Pretty cool....M nd D upstairs in the overcab and the three wee ‘uns lined up in the extra wide dinette bed with the side tip out.

mkish

Adventurer
Northstar still offers the tipout bunk (popups only now, sadly). It's not large enough for an adult and it doesn't line up perfectly with the dinette bed so you'd have to use additional cushions to merge the two. It's probably still your best bet (see what Hallmark is doing though--they used to offer some interesting pullout bunk beds). NS isbgood about listing bed sizes and answering any particular questions you might have. And yes, they will tell you where a hammock can be attached.

Keep in mind that you'll have to find places to store everything required for 5 people. Hardsides let you organize stuff better. And look at models like Northstar Laredo, which has a bathroom (good for little ones and old people), over-dinette bunk option, and still is pretty low profile. No basement, only 7' wide. (Lance has a similar model, actually.) If you have the payload, NS has 7.5' models now in the hardsides that are still about as far from a triple slide Arctic Fox as you can imagine, but the 6" gets you a lot of space and a bigger fridge.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
You might be able to find an older Amerigo camper that had the pop out extra bed in the rear.7D5FEFD1-7B5E-45AA-9544-B53EE941804B.jpeg

I believe I may be able to provide some input on this subject..

I have a family of 6, kids aged 9, 8, 5, and 3. we have a side dinette FWC Hawk and we all fit, albeit tight. mom and the kids sleep up top, and I sleep on the dinette. a front dinette or a flatbed camper would provide much more space for us, but at the time of purchase there was only 2 Hawks available in the western US and they were both the same layout. regardless of the model you get, and the length, its going to be tight, and short on storage, the flatbed models have more space available under the bed up top due to the design. If there is inclement weather you are going to be all cramped into a Tiny space regardless of what option you choose, we went out for a weekend trip and it rained for an entire day, wife and I put the awning out and relaxed outside while the kids played on a tablet or watched a movie, we hiked around a little but it started to downpour so we hunkered down in the camper.
Cooking indoors is a little cramped if the kids can’t be outside playing around, but I don’t usually like to do that anyways. Most of the time if we are thru camping our dinners are vacuum sealed precooked stuff from home and we cook up some boil in a bag rice. Super quick and easy and delicious cause it’s still homemade.

My oldest has been complaining about how right it is sleeping, but when we actually camp she loves it. I offered to build her a bunk that folds out above the dinette ala a flippack but she turned it down. I’m on the search for a larger camper, but not sure it will really benefit us until the kids want to sleep in their own beds.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My 10 and 8 yr olds have hit the point they only do well in their own defined sleeping space. I’m a big fan of bunks / aka bunk beds or pipe berths etc. Our setup is likely going to change soon due to this and wanting more weather durable shelter vs our tent on a trailer setup now.

Single separated bunks for the kids make for happy parents and non grumpy kids on longer trips.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I have an outfitter, it has the standard uptop bed, and dinette, it also has a pull out bunk, and massive storage under the bed.

They also make one called the Juno, that has all the above,pop up, side entry and rear pop out room.

Would be really hard to find one used though

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
This just popped up( no pun intended) on Craigslist. 10 ft Northstar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke