popup shadow cruiser

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Just a little up date ranger carried camper with not problem this summer on a few trips .Camper was great ,Held up in rain and shine. All appliances worked great a.Love the under bed storage so you can hide all the stuff you bring with you and all the other storage. I have to say its a great well built camper.I have to rebuild door this year do to some rot before it gets bad. I haven't changed or done anything to it still seeing and testing if any changes are needed a.Sold ranger and bought used 01 tundra because a little one is on way and need more room for car seat and family. Its a trd edition ,will put pic up soon .Havent put camper on yet it will be a little while .I have been working on house getting ready for baby. The ranger is a great truck with plenty of power and breaking never let me down. If I wasn't having a baby I would have kept ranger till it died This is my first Toyota and have heard good things about them ,has new frame and other stuff done under warranty while that was done. Always liked and wanted first generation tundra so here I go . Well everyone have a great camping season and I will keep enjoy reading all the post and builds

Paredneck

Observer
I just bought a Phoenix pop up from a guy who had it mounted on a 2000 tundra. My camper is similar in weight and he said he had to add air bags on the rear and switch to E rated tires. I don't notice it at all on the back of my 2014 f150. cool little camper good luck with the new truck and the future little one.

subterran

Adventurer
Looking forward to photos of the new rig when you get the camper mounted. I'm glad everything works so well in your camper. Mine is almost dialed in like we want it. Enjoy your camping!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I looked at those in 2000. Very nice units. I thought they were better built than the Sunlites of the time.

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Hi everyone. , I installed the wiring on the tundra so it charges battery while driving. The next day installed the happi jack tie downs same as on my ranger after I put camper on . I drove truck to my job today about 20 miles . The tundra holds the weight great no swaying or bottoming out. Plenty of power. I didn't have to change height in order to clear sides or roof. Camper comes out to bumper now . I'm going to Maine camping so we will see how it goes. I will not be adding air bags or anything to hold weight. I will post picks tomorrow of truck and camper.

subterran

Adventurer
Rangerdogg, I would love some details on your battery charging system. Photos and parts, please! Looking forward to "new rig' pix!

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Hey subterran I will take some for ya and give details as soon as I get back . My first outing with new truck , I see your enjoying yours.

rangerdogg

Adventurer
We'll just got back from a 180 mile camping trip . It was mostly highway and half was up hill. I was around 65 -70 mph during trip averaged about 13. miles gallon. The trick had no problem taking off from 0-65 after paying tolls. It was me and daughter and 12 gallons water on board a cooler filled with drinks and ice, fridge stalked and other food . Also had misc cloths , chairs . I have no helper springs or air suspension . The only thing was I hit a hard bump on highway and felt it . The shocks are old and maybe I will replace those and maybe next year do springs I think there original. I took the old set up out of old truck to pier battery. It's a solinoid with a power , negative , and a wire to turn on when key turns on. I hooked it to the 12 volt plugs in cab that turn on when key is turned on. It is under hood fuse panel that you take out fuse and it has a spot to plug into original spot with two fuse in it. Then it feeds to a 4 way like a trailer hitch plug white negative , red , power ,and brown gets spliced into the trailer hitch plug in rear of truck which on mine is for the lights . My camper has a 3 plug but the 4 plugs into it. So it charges the camper battery when on. I bought a new costco battery for camper other one was 6 years old and not charging . I will post pic of that when I can . But here is pic with camper And truck .
me5e2ena.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407110712.125068.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407110712.125068.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

chnlisle

Adventurer
Your set up looks great. Enjoy it. I've tried to stop fixating on my MPG. I am way better than I used to be. I love my truck. I love my camper. And the MPG? As the saying goes, it is what it is.

Have fun!

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Potter John ya I installed them on my ranger and then on tundra. When I orders them from dealer last year he gave me tips on installing. They recommend them for most truck campers under 1500 lbs on the website for most trucks , I had to leave old set on my truck and just re ordered from happy jack the parts I needed. I put a dab of clear silicon on before tightening on truck and bumper . Real easy. And I made a mistak a mistake it was 13.5 . But I use for work and don't really pay attention to it. Thanks guys.

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Hey sub terrain here are pics of my charging set up. The positive side of battery goes to one side and power on other side . When I turn key on it opens up and power goes threw it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408416819.276179.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408416831.775530.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408416843.086588.jpg . So the green is cut off on my plug leaving negative, power and light for camper . If there is anything else anyone want to know let me know. Hope everyone is enjoying there csmper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles