Portable Air Compressor Question

rnArmy

Adventurer
I run this Air Armor thing. Works well. Brings my 33" tires back up from 15 to 28 PSI quickly. It is noisy, but aren't they pretty much all? And like all of them, they get warm after use, so let it cool down some before closing up the ammo can.

I like it because it is all enclosed in an easily transportable container, so I can move it between vehicles. I also have a CO2 tank. Works awesome - and quick too! Until you run out of CO2... (ask me how I know).

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Nothing compares to the portable ARB Twin, and they are 100% serviceable with part available world wide, It's a bit hard to buy parts for generic compressors because they have many names depending on where you are in the world,

I bought the Single ARB Portable and within a week I wanted to know what the Twin Portable was about so I bought it too, It will inflate 37" Tyres in under 90 seconds including stopping to check the pressure several times,

The Only ones that are faster will cost you over $2000.00, Warn use to make a seriously powerful V-Twin but they were Mega Bucks but they stopped making them a few years ago. The Down side was it needed 2 people to carry it and it needed about 150-180 Amp Alternator to power the thing and it was the size of a 40Qt Cooler.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Warn use to make a seriously powerful V-Twin but they were Mega Bucks but they stopped making them a few years ago. The Down side was it needed 2 people to carry it and it needed about 150-180 Amp Alternator to power the thing and it was the size of a 40Qt Cooler.

This is the single cylinder version of the big-ass Warn. Delivers 12cfm free air flow, runs like a champ. I don't have to carry it around because it fits between the grill and the radiator on my 3G Dodge gasser. And it's only the size of a 28qt cooler.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Warn use to make a seriously powerful V-Twin but they were Mega Bucks but they stopped making them a few years ago. The Down side was it needed 2 people to carry it and it needed about 150-180 Amp Alternator to power the thing and it was the size of a 40Qt Cooler.

This is the single cylinder version of the big-ass Warn. Delivers 12cfm free air flow, runs like a champ. I don't have to carry it around because it fits between the grill and the radiator on my 3G Dodge gasser. And it's only the size of a 28qt cooler.

View attachment 526700
NICE, I read a review on the single and the V Twin and they are/were the best of the best, I wish Warn still made them because even the single is better than anything else on the market. Your a lucky man having one of those, (y) Major Thumbs Up.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Your a lucky man having one of those, (y) Major Thumbs Up.

Thanks. I came within a fraction of an inch of fitting the two-cylinder in that spot, but to clear the hood latch I would have had to reroute some A/C lines and I just wasn't willing to do that. At the time I did that installation, the only other readily available compressor in the same league was the Oasis, but I couldn't find one at a price I could tolerate. The Warn was under $500 on a Christmas sale. No-brainer at that price.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Your a lucky man having one of those, (y) Major Thumbs Up.

Thanks. I came within a fraction of an inch of fitting the two-cylinder in that spot, but to clear the hood latch I would have had to reroute some A/C lines and I just wasn't willing to do that. At the time I did that installation, the only other readily available compressor in the same league was the Oasis, but I couldn't find one at a price I could tolerate. The Warn was under $500 on a Christmas sale. No-brainer at that price.
The person doing the tests is Mark Allen and he is a member here and he has done a few Compressor Tests n the past few years, this test was done around 8 or so years ago and as newer models have come out he has tested them also and he has done tests on Fridge and a heap of other gear so it is worth keeping an eye out for his Articles/Posts, But the Warn SPI ( your one ) and the Warn VTC are top of the list in the test.

Last edited:

brokenhorn

I have been running a 12v twin tank puma for the last 4-5years. It has not let me down. I bought it originally for my rock crawler running 39" tires and now it it sits in my truck . If i where to to do it all over again, i would have bought the compressor without the tanks for easier storage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

frans

Adventurer
I have been running a 12v twin tank puma for the last 4-5years. It has not let me down. I bought it originally for my rock crawler running 39" tires and now it it sits in my truck . If i where to to do it all over again, i would have bought the compressor without the tanks for easier storage

Please tell me which model you bought. The puma seems to come in different capacities
Thx

brokenhorn

Please tell me which model you bought. The puma seems to come in different capacities
Thx
This one
ab7bfd5abdd8c2df3920c85fd8c1b306.jpg

bluejeep

just a guy
My experience - I went with a 110V unit running off an inverter (1200 watt I think). It spins much slower than the 12V units I have used / seen. So maybe it will last longer, have to wait and see - it's only been 15 years to date (insert smiley face).

Does a great job on my 35's going from 9 psi back up to 24 psi. Not worried about how long that takes so have never timed it, but I seem to be in line with others in the group, I'm ready to go before some and some are ready to go before me.

In addition, I now have 110V in the vehicle, which has been handy.

Price wise, it's much less than some of the amounts I've seen presented in this thread, even after buying the inverter.

gspfunk

I went with the VIAIR 300P. It’s low-mid range, but works really well. I used it multiple times every day we were on the trails this summer. It’s solid construction and comes with a bunch of extras for various uses. The coiled hose is as good as it can be for that style, but it all fits nicely in the bag.

All in all, it did each tire in a minute & a half (20 psi —>37). Highly recommended for a portable, quality compressor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles