Portable propane fire pit

WOODY2

Adventurer
Good point, it all comes down to how long the outing is and how log you burn it. Ask someone else in your group to carry the bottle since you are lugging the fire bowl?

Hummelator

Adventurer
I was considering a smaller bottle but you would burn through it pretty fast and the other thing was that you can exchange the 20 anywhere if you cant find a place to fill it. Lowes,HD,7-11s
Yeah a bigger tank is definitely the way to go. Last year we got about 3 nights out of a 20 pounder with the flame on medium-low.
I bought a 30 pounder for this year as I prefer a bigger flame. I leave for Idaho tomorrow mornings S if they lift the burn ban we’ll see how many nights I will get with the flame on high

FlipperFla

We are leaving for Co. in a week. Think Im going to leave it home this trip. Called a few of the Parks we will be at, propane stoves and fire rings are allowed for now, but they also said that can change at any time. So far none of the wildfires are near where we are going to be. Dont know about the smoke. Have a great trip in Idaho!

krick3tt

Adventurer
I always carry mine when camping. Even if we don't have a fire cause we get to a campground too late to stay up very long. No longer even carry wood. I have two 11 pound tanks, one for cooking and the other for the fire can. Still have two one pound green cans for the camp stove if I don't want to get the big tanks off the roof rack.
No word on the parks not allowing the can fires. They are the same as a propane cook stove as far as the park folks feel. Still I clear an area around them. Replaced the OEM ceramic log with lava rocks. Dispersed the flame better and cool quicker.

bbaker22

I'm in Colorado, too. Most summers we can no longer have open fires. Got the Outland Bowl fire pit. Has worked well. Much better than nothing, can cook smores over it, and can turn off without dousing, etc. Little 5lb cylinder is convenient, but definitely a weekender. Miss the campfire smell, but my wife and kids don't. They get the smell in their hair. I have no hair, so that isn't a problem for me.

bbaker22

We are leaving for Co. in a week. Think Im going to leave it home this trip. Called a few of the Parks we will be at, propane stoves and fire rings are allowed for now, but they also said that can change at any time. So far none of the wildfires are near where we are going to be. Dont know about the smoke. Have a great trip in Idaho!

We've had some crazy moisture recently here in the Colorado Springs area. I'm hoping most of the state has been getting similar precip and we can actually have regular fires for the rest of the year.

This is the go to site for fire restriction info in CO: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dfpc/fire-bans-and-restrictions

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
For the past two years we've been using the Camco, Campfire in a can. And it's been perfect for our use. All its hoses , Lighter and green can adapter all store in the base and with the lid on nothing gets lost. It's taken a fair amount of abuse since it rides on the back of our cargo carrier and other then some scratches it keeps working. We've cooked hotdogs on it once just for the fun of it, but they do sell a grill attachment. I was really wanting the aluminum model to keep weight down but they no longer make/sell it. Wenormally carry a small 2.5 lb tank and it'll runus for 3-4 evenings. Good Luck!

Attachments

• IMG_3294.JPG
    IMG_3294.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 36

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516
Just got back from Silverton. Nice and rainy! For a portable no-frills solution I've been using the Quikfire: http://quikfire.com/

I really like it. Was using the Camco Little Red but it was bulky and I realized the faux logs, etc., weren't necessary. I just want heat, light, and portability.

EddMc

Picked this one up a couple of years ago on sale for $70.

Lowes portable fire pit
034613673801sm.jpg

WOODY2

Adventurer
Just got back from Silverton. Nice and rainy! For a portable no-frills solution I've been using the Quikfire: http://quikfire.com/

I really like it. Was using the Camco Little Red but it was bulky and I realized the faux logs, etc., weren't necessary. I just want heat, light, and portability.
Another vote for the Quikfire, light weight, massive flames if desired and easy to pack and deploy. Only downside they don't offer a smoke follows regardless of where you sit option.

ChasingOurTrunks

We've got a portable ring we picked up at Costco years ago, but we've had to leave it behind on our longer trips simply because of space/weight. I'm intrigued by both the Quickfire option and the Little Red Campfire as they seem a lot more portable.

The other issue if fuel; typical propane bottles are also quite heavy and bulky. I know the easy solution is to bring a smaller tank, but in Canada at least, it's more common to find a place to exchange tanks than it is to find a place that will fill them, so odd sizes are not ideal.

On our last trip, we used a Coleman kerosene lantern sitting on the ground in lieu of a campfire. It was a mid-summer trip so we didn't have a huge demand for heat, but even still there's "hand warming" warmth out of the top of the lantern. The hiss and glow was a pretty reasonable facsimile of the classic campfire -- not a direct replacement, but pretty good -- and it meant we had a small, light option that used the same fuel as our stove.

IMG_0586 (1).jpeg

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
FWIW.....I see my last write-up for our Campfire in a can was 3 years ago. We still use it on every trip/event. We just had it out on our re-supply mission on Stoney Pass a couple of weeks ago. Highly recommend!

7E769E22-673B-4F2C-B64B-5FB496A06C4F.jpeg1D7B0809-A5D2-47D5-ADD5-48480996804C.jpeg234DC7F7-E71D-4534-ADA4-7C924BFDE7C8.jpeg

Alloy

For the most heat while burning the least amout of gas pile 1-3" lava rocks up on the fire pit.

When the lava rock is heated it gives of infrared radiation.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have the larger version of the Campfire in a Can. I eliminated the ceramic imitation logs and put in lava rock and it does heat well and also cools quicker than the logs when it is time to put it away. I did not feel the weight of the rocks was a detriment as has been mentioned.
I do like that it does sit higher than the smaller version on the lid. The handle is in the way on the smaller version and until I got the larger one I did not think the height was an issue.

frans

Adventurer
Make your own….
9A0FAA87-50B5-49D7-8D9B-5D09CDC0D0FC.jpeg

Attachments

• 3FC2DF6A-8378-4C22-B2C4-B166F22072F8.jpeg
    3FC2DF6A-8378-4C22-B2C4-B166F22072F8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 69E27DDA-0DA4-4B9F-A339-FCB37EDCA475.jpeg
    69E27DDA-0DA4-4B9F-A339-FCB37EDCA475.jpeg
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 27

Forum statistics