Portable solar recommendations

EPO

I have a new camper coming within a month or so and this one does not have rooftop mounted solar thus, portable panels will be required, probably in the range of 140-200W. Any brand and model recommendations that you might have? I have some ideas but would certainly like to hear other's opinions.

There are pluses and minus with portable and rooftop but unless I can find a safe way to mount rooftop, portable it is going to be.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I have two zamp obdesian 100 watt suite case panels. From advise from Randy at Off Grid Power Pack I went with the non regulated and chose the victron solar charger. Then wired them with Furion plugs as apposed the Zamp. I will let you know how the work. Thinking when appropriate especially in winter early spring I will stand them on the roof of trailer for a tad bit more security.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I use Atempower, 200 watt "blanket" but it's a fold out suitcase.

5 Stars! Got this to use with my Bluetti EB3A, solar gen, 268 whr. It also supplements the Bluetti 2000 Watt Gen.

The panels are sturdy and the case is impressive, nylon type canvas is durable and large velcro flap is good, large pocket holds connections and accessories. It's a well made unit.

1674314117228.png

Amazon.com : atempower 200watt folding solar panel

EPO

Thanks everyone, great ideas here. My biggest worry after getting them set up and working is having them stolen. I often leave the site to hike, etc. during the day. Any thoughts on how to prevent theft?

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Placing them on the roof when you leave camp in a way that they lay flat is the only thing I can think of. Maybe a bit of a pain but the Zamp obdesian are really light.

Trail camera maybe bet as Treefarmer mentioned that would likey just leave you an expensive picture of some looser thief stealing your panels.

TGK

I’ve been using a 140w Zamp suitcase setup for about 4 years with our old Airstream. When leaving camp I lock it to the stabilizer feet near the rear of the trailer with a heavy chain and stout lock. The chain is looped through the legs of solar panel. Haven’t had any problems so far. Of course, if someone is motivated they can get it. It would be quicker to cut through the panel's support legs than the chain. Either way, it involves a bit of work, but does deter someone from running up and snatching it.

Attachments

• IMG_4683.jpeg
    IMG_4683.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

DFNDER

I have Zamp Obsidian built in on the roof and got an Acopower 120w portable suitcase to plug into the side plug when I need a bit more juice or am parked in the shade, which is often. Love the Zamp stuff but didn’t want to spend that much on a portable and wanted something lighter and thinner than a hard panel. Works very well, and I just put it in the trailer when traveling. Won’t kill me if it’s stolen either. ACOPOWER 120W Portable Solar Panel,3x40W 12v Foldable Solar Panel Suitcase with USB/QC 3.0/DC/Type-C 4 Outputs for Phones,Camping,RV Car Fridge with ProteusX 20A Charge Controller, (HY-LTK-3x40WPX20A) https://a.co/d/4LOUQNQ

rehammer81

I had a Rich Solar portable suitcase I used for my last trailer and the portable power box I built for it. Will Prowse, a good YouTube solar system resource, recommends Rich Solar panels as good quality bang for the buck products.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Thanks everyone, great ideas here. My biggest worry after getting them set up and working is having them stolen. I often leave the site to hike, etc. during the day. Any thoughts on how to prevent theft?
1674330822760.png

For the hard mounted panels through eye bolts and threads marred so nut won't come off.

Portable, better take them inside, there is no good way to secure blanket or suitcase types unless you have one of these:
1674331362411.png

TGK

If you do choose to lock the portable panel to the rig, I'd use a heavier chain rather than a braided cable lock which is more easily compromised. Of course, if they have the time and tools, they will get it regardless.

DFNDER

Yeah, as a bicyclist, I cringe when I see those cables. I can cut one of those with a hand tool in 5 seconds. Any of them. I used to have a Dobie and she saved my life from an intruder, but now rely on a fox hunting Jack Russell. Anyone coming near my stuff better not smell like a fox cause it won’t be pretty.

Treefarmer

I don't know how you could secure one of these portable solar units from a determined thief. The best way we've found is to just not camp within eyesight of anyone else or a road. Theft of generators, solar panels, tools, and anything else laying around outside is a major problem in Quartzsite in the BLM areas near town. We learned the "easy" way a few years ago. We used to leave a rusty old ball hitch on the truck and never thought to lock it. We were downtown in Quartzsite, left the truck parked for 30 minutes, and were missing a rusty old ball hitch when we returned to the truck. So now we make sure everything we want to keep is hidden and locked up when we're not around. We also camp many, many miles from Quartzsite with no neighbors around.

Does anyone know if there is a resale market for Starlink satellite dishes? We keep wondering when someone will come around and try to steal the one we have. We're hoping they are pre-programmed and non-transferable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online