Possibly buying another Suburban?

Benlandis24

So here’s the scoop. Currently own a 2000 lx470. I got a good deal on it because it needs some work that will cost several thousand. I also just found out my wife is pregnant and we have some credit cards I’d like to pay off. I know I can sell the lx for a decent amount and pay off credit cards and buy a decent higher mileage suburban. My suv before the lx was a suburban so I know them well at this a point. If this was your situation what would you do? We use our rigs for carrying gear and light off road use mostly.

I will be posting in the Toyota forum as well just to hear both sides. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNSG

Just sayin, my 2500 Beastieburban was low miles for the year and carries a lot. In style.

rayra

Expedition Leader
pros and cons on 1500 vs 2500, GMT800 vs GMT900, currently going pretty good in this topic -
https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...urban-yukon-xl-owners-out-there.194380/unread

You can get an older GMT800 k1500 for $6-7k, pricing rises steadily with big steps at each intervening generation. Sweet spots on value seem to be around '03-'06 for 800s, '09- on the 900s. ('07-'14). USED prices on the '09 and up are just crazy, all over the map. $16-24k. '05-06 are $7k and up depending on mileage. All in those price ranges will have over 100k++ mi. IF they are reasonably well-cared for they have a LOT of life left in them

Benlandis24

My wife will only allow another gmt400 as it is the most truck like. I tried to get us into a gmt800 before we bought the lx but she didn’t like how they drove haha. I know there’s a couple nice lower miles 400s out there but there would still be a lot of maintenance that would have to be done right away.

Smileyshaun

Observer
the 400 is a wonderful platform and at least here in the pnw you can find low miles one in fantastic shape for cheap . you get a lot of them that where mostly used to pull a camper or horse trailer so the miles stay low . I would definitely go for a 2500 so you get a 4l80e a ff 14 bolt and a way stronger front end . with some torsion keys you can fit 33s easy and a 1" body lift and a little trimming 35s fit no problem .
maintenance would be the same as any other rig, fluids, brakes , suspension. all super cheap items on a 400

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Benlandis24,

You have quite a dilema. Sounds like you have plenty of experiences with Suburbans. GMT400 and GMT800s cost just about the same right now, GMT900 are all over the board as rayra said above. I personally love the GMT400s 42.5 gal tank and a beast of a 5.7 motor, the 7.4 is awesome too if you are towing and it takes less than $100 to raise it high enough for 33s and under $500 for 35s.

Definitely can't beat the cargo capacity of the full size trucks.

Bojak

Adventurer
My wife will only allow another gmt400 as it is the most truck like. I tried to get us into a gmt800 before we bought the lx but she didn’t like how they drove haha. I know there’s a couple nice lower miles 400s out there but there would still be a lot of maintenance that would have to be done right away.

Ok all this is IMOP. I think the gmt 400 series are awesome, most truck like, and GM's last series of trucks and SUV that stand any chance of becoming collectors or classics. I've owned a 2500 rclb , Tahoe, suburban, and a ccsb all in 4x4. That being said I think the gmt 800 series is superior in so many ways. I currently drive a 2006 2500hd and it's better all the way around. I think the engineers at gm figured alot of stuff out between the two generations. Again, this is an opinion, but having owned with much fondness many gmt 400's the gmt 800 is Superior in terms of engineering and performance. If you are really into the older classics then skip on back to a square body with a solid front axle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The newest GMT400 Suburban is now 19 years old and most are over 20. Everything breaks or wears out eventually.

I think unless you are capable of fixing everything that's likely to be wrong with an older vehicle yourself, a GMT800 might be a better choice, just because it's newer and likely to need less work.

Bojak

Adventurer
The newest GMT400 Suburban is now 19 years old and most are over 20. Everything breaks or wears out eventually.

I think unless you are capable of fixing everything that's likely to be wrong with an older vehicle yourself, a GMT800 might be a better choice, just because it's newer and likely to need less work.
I almost made that point as well. My last gmt 400 was 2000 ccsb in really good condition. But it was crumbling around me. The plastic door handles cracked (2 exterior) just do to sun turning them brittle. Cowl same thing. Lots loose interior bits from years of techs, mechanics, and owners popping them off and on to work on or add things. My 2006 seems new compared and even it is 12 years old. All things are fixable but imop I would recommend a 800 series over a 400. Now if u want to fix stuff, I would go square body and enjoy how super simple they are.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94