Possibly selling? Confused.

Benlandis24

So here’s the scoop. Currently own a 2000 lx470. I got a good deal on it because it needs some work that will cost several thousand. I also just found out my wife is pregnant and we have some credit cards I’d like to pay off. I know I can sell the lx for a decent amount and pay off credit cards and buy a decent higher mileage suburban. My suv before the lx was a suburban so I know them well at this a point. If this was your situation what would you do? I know the lx will last a long time. We use our rigs for carrying gear and light off road use mostly.

I will be posting in the domestic forum as well just to hear both sides. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Well I can tell you what the full-size guys will say!

What work does your LX need?

Unless you live somewhere that 100 series are worth their weight in gold (like I do), you are not going to have a substantial difference in money after you sell your 2000 LX and then buy a Suburban (assuming you want a good enough Suburban that you and your family will be safe and comfortable). I’m guessing you still have 6 months or so to get organized before the stork comes? You could use that time to get fiscally andmechanicaly organized and still keep the much safer vehicle.

Benlandis24

The biggest thing it needs is a new master cylinder/abs unit. There are other things it needs that I can probably do.

I would also be selling in Southern California which I know is a hot bed for these things.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Well, the ABS unit is definitely not a cheap repair, and isn’t something you can put off. I got lucky with mine as it was the mc piston that was the issue and there is rebuild kit you can get for that. It’s only about $80.

If you’re playing in the SoCal market you might be good with the Sub. I like the older (K & V series square body ones).

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
x3 on the debt free.

I've been debt free my whole life, with the exception of my house. Feels great.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Sell the LX470, payoff debt, bank some "Mo Money" and do not buy a Suburban.

You will soon have a new FULL TIME and LIFETIME job in your life called your new son or daughter.

They deserve your full time Love and Attention.

Overlanding can wait!

Of course you already knew the answer to your questions so why even ask?

Benlandis24

Is 6500 a fair selling price for a rig that needs a master cylinder? The ranges online for these is ridiculous

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Just look at what similar condition units are going for in your area and deduct the cost of the MC plus $500 or $1000 to make it enticing for someone to buy a vehicle with a known issue? That’s where I’d start.

As for the “do not buy a Suburban” comment above, just because you have a child, there is no reason to stop living YOUR life. Too many people turn their own lives off just to have kids. I see it with some of my friends. There is a happy medium, and including your family in the activities you enjoy is the best of both worlds. Unless of course you’re into skydiving. I hear it’s hard to teach a toddler to pull the ripcord...

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
When your kids are 0-1 years old all you do is haul em around in a bucket. Bouncing em around the trails in their bucket will not be any fun for them or you!

Get used to being a Dad first for the first year and then go look for a Suburban. Yes you need to live your life HOWEVER your child will dictate your life for foreseeable future!

Get used to it!

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Is 6500 a fair selling price for a rig that needs a master cylinder?

"MY" experience is that when seller's are selling a vehicle with a safety problem such as a "Master Cylinder" they are typically broke or lazy that's why they never repaired the problem. I am not specifically saying you are either one just stating my opinion of a seller selling a vehicle with is typically an easy repair.

In either case you need find out what is really cost's to replace a master cylinder on this vehicle and price the vehicel based upon subtracting 3 times the cost of the master cylinder replacement part/labor from what your normal asking price would be if there was no master cylinder problem. That will entice folks to want to buy your truck and make the repair themselves.

If it was that easy or cheap to replace the master cylinder you would have already completed the repair prior to placing the vehicle for sale. When looking at a vehicle with what should be a simple repair like a master cylinder usually means to me there will be several other problems with the vehicle that the seller never addressed. Some of which might just be REALLY EXPENSIVE to repair. Based upon that reality I usually offer a LOT less or pass on the vehicle altogether because of what else might be wrong that I cannot see or hear.

Here is the current market report from Manheim Auction that shows REAL SALES of vehicles and their wholesale value. MMR = Manheim Market Report.

Is $6500 a proper selling Price?

You decide!

2000 LEXUS LX470 4WD 4D SPORT UTILITY

MMR
BASE MMR
$6,150
Avg Odo (mi)
Avg Cond
Typical Range
$4,000 -$8,325
MMR ADJUSTMENTS
Clear

Region National Southeast Northeast Midwest Southwest West Coast

Ext Color Beige Black Blue Brown Burgundy Camouflage Charcoal Gold Gray Green Lime Off-white Orange Pink Purple Red Silver Turquoise White Yellow

Numbers may not add exactly due to rounding
ADJUSTED MMR
$6,150*
*Not adjusted for Region

TransactionsShowing 6 of 6ExportFilter
Date Price Odo (mi) Cond Eng/T Ext Color Type Region Auction 6/8/18$8,800123,388- -8G/- -BlackRegularWest CoastCalifornia6/7/18$8,700110,7112.98G/AWhiteRegularWest CoastSouthern California6/6/18$5,800249,1704.48G/AWhiteRegularWest CoastSan Francisco Bay6/5/18$4,100230,3072.58G/AGoldRegularSoutheastStatesville5/31/18$4,800252,9243.58G/AWhiteRegularWest CoastPhoenix5/8/18$4,200210,212- -8G/- -GrayRegularMidwestArena Illinois
Showing 6 of 6

Historical Average
Past 30 Days
$6,450
193,300 mi
6 Months Ago
$4,450
211,159 mi
Last Year
$5,125
166,549 mi
Projected Average
Next Month
$6,250

Estimated Retail Value
Based on Advertised Retail Prices

$11,450*
Typical Range
$8,550 -$14,350
*Not adjusted for Region

Last edited:

MarcusBrody

When your kids are 0-1 years old all you do is haul em around in a bucket. Bouncing em around the trails in their bucket will not be any fun for them or you!

Get used to being a Dad first for the first year and then go look for a Suburban. Yes you need to live your life HOWEVER your child will dictate your life for foreseeable future!

Get used to it!

With my son (now 2), bouncing around in his bucket was basically the only thing he liked for a good period of his life. If you have fire/backroads near your house, you might end up spending a good number of hours exploring them just so the little guy will take a nap. If your kid is like mine, your only problem with either a Suburban or the LX470 will spending $10 in gas per nap. ;)

We also found basic camping really easy when he was really small. He only breastfed, wanted to be held and bounced all the time, and if you sat him somewhere, he wasn't going anywhere. I'd put him in a soft chest carrier and hike with the dog almost every day. Obviously extended, hardcore expeditions are out, but camping isn't something that is impossible with a baby.

Now that he's a toddler, things are a bit more complicated...(though more fun in other ways).

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste