Post up your drawer/storage system

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it's fantastic! Doors, drawers, lids, cubby holes, slides, racks and bag systems!
My question is, some of these really have what might be considered "secret storage compartments" not all are obvious being covered in carpet or inside another compartment. So, how do you keep your vehicle from being impounded by the DEA and Border Patrol for having secret compartments as they can assume drug activities or even gun running? Yachts and boaters have having the same issues aboard a vessel! Anyway, great thread!!! :)

Mine has 2 big *** finger hold holes to pull the floor up. It's not very secret.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Don't see how a storage system obviously added to a vehicle could be defined as 'secret'. Now if you cut storage space into the factory body or door panels or such AND endeavored to conceal its hatch, that could be considered a 'hidden compartment'. Especially if it takes a trick or electric solenoid to open it. But a storage system with a carpet covered hatch, containing recovery tools and such? That's just silly.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
With off road bumpers. Lift kits and big tires. I don't think you would be targeted for hiding stuff in the vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

otis24

Observer
I've heard of border crossings taking a closer look at storage and especially auxiliary fuel tanks. I just started this one. Not too worried about it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428551579.517007.jpg

Beamer pilot

Explorer
All you have to say is "I have some hidden compartments on the vehicle if you'd like to inspect them..."
My experience is that most border officers just don't like surprises...

TheSweatyButcher

Adventurer
Has anyone used honeycomb cardboard to make a lightweight raised storage area?

A visual aid. Kinda like this but the whole storage area in the back of a 4runner. With plastic bins rather then boxes.
6P1070941WebSml.gif

coop74

Old Camping Dude
All you have to say is "I have some hidden compartments on the vehicle if you'd like to inspect them..."
My experience is that most border officers just don't like surprises...
Being in the security business I agree. I however would not say hidden. Just say enclosed covered compartment under the larger flat surface in the rear of the truck. If he asks follow up question to that tell him they are covered to maintain a flat surface for storage or sleeping inside.

Always however point out things that might appear suspicious before they ask.

otis24

Observer

A visual aid. Kinda like this but the whole storage area in the back of a 4runner. With plastic bins rather then boxes.
6P1070941WebSml.gif

That's pretty cool. Are there honeycomb card board that is lower profile. I like the idea of light weight.

Dazrin

Adventurer
Seems like they would save weight, but you are giving up a fair amount of actual storage space since those are so thick. I would also be concerned about how well they handle vibration and constant bouncing. Then there is the possibility of water/moisture damage. How well do they hold up to a very humid day, a rainy/windy day where you need to open the rear, or even a water spill? Cardboard just doesn't seem like a great option for a moving, bouncing, and sometimes damp location.

TheSweatyButcher

Adventurer
That's pretty cool. Are there honeycomb card board that is lower profile. I like the idea of light weight.

I'm sure there are but just trying to find them for sale locally is pretty hard.

Seems like they would save weight, but you are giving up a fair amount of actual storage space since those are so thick. I would also be concerned about how well they handle vibration and constant bouncing. Then there is the possibility of water/moisture damage. How well do they hold up to a very humid day, a rainy/windy day where you need to open the rear, or even a water spill? Cardboard just doesn't seem like a great option for a moving, bouncing, and sometimes damp location.
Maybe a good coat of plasti dip would help seal it from water damage. I wouldnt be concerned with it bouncing around as it should be secured/tied down.

If I can find some honeycomb cardboard I'm going to give it a shot.

otis24

Observer
That would be interesting to see a cardboard set up.

My crappy sleeping platform is made from 3/8 particle board and 1x8's. The particle board hasn't held up so well from carrying scuba gear and sleeping on it. It's fairly light at about 40 pounds.

My next version is going to be 1/2" and 3/4" birch plywood with a 6 foot drawer and 3.5' kitchen drawer with built in stove and retractable legs. It's going to be more like 150 pounds. I'm fairly interested in other materials as long as they're durable. Appearance is higher on my priorities on this build. I suppose I could cover it in carpet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94