Post up your drawer/storage system

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Thanks for that info, MagicMtnDan. I just bought a new JKU a few months ago and have been contemplating how to set up storage in the back. Reading these threads really has me jonesing to try my hand at wood working, but I was thinking there's no way I could make anything decent (since I have NO woodworking experience). I had no idea that these kinds of places existed! This gives me something to think about....

You can do it. It just takes practice and some tools. Borrow a table saw or, you can even cut the panels with a circular saw and a straight edge (screw it to your panel to cut straight). Seriously, practice makes perfect and there's no such thing as perfect in woodworking unless you're Frank Pollaro http://pollaro.com/

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'm getting a pretty nice 3/4" pine ply that looks a LOT like baltic birch for $28 at my local Home Depot.

Work in progress, lot of fit and finish and hardwood fascias to go still -

storagebuild055_zps1emnmzje.jpg
storagebuild063_zpsbhd8jcgv.jpg

Last edited:

JBThompson

Adventurer
I ended up replacing the MDF in my build. I intended to just seal it with resin, but pulling the box out by myself made me realize just how freaking heavy it was. I looked at the can of resin, decided it wasn't worth the hassle, and went out to get some plywood. I'll use the MDF up building sub enclosures anyway so it's not like I'm out money. At any rate, I got the drawers built but I still need sliders. I also still haven't found latches locally so I'm not sure what I'll do for those, I like being able to look at stuff like that before I buy. I did get the turnbuckles installed, so there's that.

20160812_170219_zpso9gpfrwx.jpg

20160812_170051_zpswerxjq2c.jpg

Don't mind the 2x6s, those are temporary. I need to build a more shallow sub enclosure (gotta have mah tunes) that will let the drawer system sit down closer to the floor. Look closely and you can see the sub under there.

zerskier

Observer
heres my simple sleeping platform I just built for my astro.. I wanted light and simple so built It out of 1" thin wall steel tubing with 3/4" plywood. The main platform is 48"x30" with a 30" section that slides out, this gives me some extra room for when your stuck in the van weathering out a storm.. No drawers I like clear bins and milk crates
IMG_4825.jpgIMG_4829.jpg
IMG_4828.jpgIMG_4808.jpg

grandpa

Another DIY Bed Slide

I built this cheap bed slide with garage door rollers and scraps I had in the shop.

I built a 2x4 frame with plywood sides and the garage door rollers.

The garage door rails are mounted to the side of the slide.

I painted it black and used a cheap door mat that I can remove and hose off.

Uboatcmdr

I've definitely read this whole thread front to back numerous times, initially looking for ideas for my yj, Which is up for sale. I just picked up a 2001 XJ a few weeks back to start an expedition/moderate wheeling build.

During the last 3+ months of searching for a cheap rust free XJ, I had a complete game plan on how I wanted to build my drawer system.

And then this just kinda.... Fell in my lap.
It wasnt designed for an Xj, so the width is a little bit narrower than i would like, but the front of it is angled perfectly to the seat back. The open space on the right side actually just fits my camp chef explorer stove.

Once I bite the bullet and buy a fridge, I will move the left drawer to the bottom, filling that cubby hole. and removing the left half of the shelf to make roof for a fridge slide out.
Ill grab some photos of it opened up once i finish mounting it, but its all full extension 500lb drawer slides and 1/8" aluminum

13903178_10154462485869974_6932465325132485151_n (1).jpg

jswift716

Adventurer
I've definitely read this whole thread front to back numerous times, initially looking for ideas for my yj, Which is up for sale. I just picked up a 2001 XJ a few weeks back to start an expedition/moderate wheeling build.

During the last 3+ months of searching for a cheap rust free XJ, I had a complete game plan on how I wanted to build my drawer system.

And then this just kinda.... Fell in my lap.
It wasnt designed for an Xj, so the width is a little bit narrower than i would like, but the front of it is angled perfectly to the seat back. The open space on the right side actually just fits my camp chef explorer stove.

Once I bite the bullet and buy a fridge, I will move the left drawer to the bottom, filling that cubby hole. and removing the left half of the shelf to make roof for a fridge slide out.
Ill grab some photos of it opened up once i finish mounting it, but its all full extension 500lb drawer slides and 1/8" aluminum

View attachment 361892
It resembles a desk

Honu

lost on the mainland
ditto on the fireball post !!!!

awesome looking and what I kinda want to do keep it wood looking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94