Post your favorite classic cool rig that is now worth too much to enjoy?

abcab69

From what "age" do vehicles qualify for this thread. Some of us just have older vehicles that we like for various reasons. My main reason is for the simplicity of the oldies without all the electronics. Mine is only 20 years old now, and the biggest reason I have built and done everything myself, is because nobody understands what I want to achieve with it. I rescued it from writeoff after bending it. To "fix" it, is taking some ingenuity I will never be able to afford if I had to commission "proffesional" help. Its also my daily drive, so everything has to be planned to keep down time to a minimum.

The sense of achievement, however, is second to none when things eventually start coming together.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

spikemd

Explorer
I see the logic from both sides of the argument. Either way, just use the vehicle and enjoy it.

I am building my Santana/Defender 110 at a shop that is doing frame off restorations of Defenders. Unfortunately, the 100k+ price tag is actually justified. New frame, doors, top, tub, every nut, bolt, wire, everything. It is a completely new vehicle and takes labor to disassemble and rebuild. I am good friends with the owner and am working on my vehicle as much as I can but need his expertise for 'rover-quirks', welding, suspension and more. He can direct me on next steps and it is slowly coming together but of course taking 10 times longer than expected...

Another argument for using a professional is time...it might take you three months to rebuild that transfer case when u could takr it to an expert for a few days.

I have done a lot of wrenching in my day, but the older I get, the less time I have. Would rather spend the time on the trail than in the garage under the rig.

20181106_152459_HDR-2080x1560.jpg20181106_152511_HDR-2080x1560.jpg

This one accumulated 200 miles this year. It's relegated to actual grocery getter status these days.DSC02936.JPG

In his younger days...

Attachments

• 1953_03_25 Windsor Castle Fire Tender.jpeg
    1953_03_25 Windsor Castle Fire Tender.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94