Post Your Montero SPORT Pics!

mires

Adventurer
Glad to see this thread is still going (somewhat). I created it over 6 years ago but have since parted with my Sport. The miles were getting pretty high (just over 200k) and I was tired of hunting down and repairing oil leaks. As cheap as they are these days, I still think about buying another sometimes.

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
They are dirt cheap these days but along with that generally require some TLC to be brought back into reliable shape. Mine just started leaking from the transfer case drive shaft a couple of days ago. I already ordered both front and rear seals and will be replacing them this week. Otherwise mine doesn't leak a drop (it does burn some oil, but it doesn't leak anything externally, lol).

sxharr05

Adventurer
Looking through this thread has me missing my Sport. I had to move it back in the summer of '15 after the bolt holding the lower pulley/harmonic balancer worked partway out then got stuck. It was either rebuild the engine, drop in a reman or take the 2 grand the dealer offered me, sight unseen, as a trade-in. I took the dealer's offer since the Montero needed more than the crank repair (due for full tune-up, front cat replacement, a few other odds and ends) but I sometimes wish I had just had it rebuilt.

Anyway, glad to see them still being posted here.

Simon_

Anyway, glad to see them still being posted here.

Here's one that's still alive and kicking! :)

This is my 1996 Challenger, which was imported into the UK in 2004. It had been left unused for over two years when I was given it, as that saved the previous owner taking it to the scrap yard. Much to my surprise, it cleaned up really well and it had no major faults. It's a 2.8 4M40 diesel with a four-speed auto. The transfer box has Super Select, so that gives it permanent 4WD. For a vehicle that's going to be 21 years old this year, it still looks pretty good. I've stripped off the wind deflectors and side steps, which I think gives it a neater look. Since this photo was taken I've fitted 32mm wheel spacers and 31" AT tires. I've also done some fairly extensive sound deadening.

IMG_20140405_094914_zps0d05ebf8.jpg

Last year we drove it to Spain and Portugal, and had a good time on some of the many mountain roads and trails. I'd like to do a trip to Morocco and the edge of the Sahara desert within the next couple of years.

IMG_20161106_120319_zpsk2uwf0od.jpg

IMG_20161108_143511_zpsvfrryrhg.jpg

I keep the running costs down by running it on vegetable oil mix - 90% veg and 10% petrol in the summer; 50% veg and 50% diesel in the winter.

With proper care and maintenance I should get many more years use out of it.

Last edited:

BryanJGomez

Sup guys, here is My Montero Sport. I've been lurking the forum for a while and finally decided to post. I got 31s Toyos on 15x8 2in back spacing. No lift. I want to see if I can maybe cranks torsion bars and do a custom spring in the back to make it stiffer to handle a little weight.

IMG_8468.jpg

IMG_8469.jpg

IMG_8472.jpg

IMG_8483.jpg

IMG_8485.jpg

Simon_

Sup guys, here is My Montero Sport. I've been lurking the forum for a while and finally decided to post. I got 31s Toyos on 15x8 2in back spacing. No lift. I want to see if I can maybe cranks torsion bars and do a custom spring in the back to make it stiffer to handle a little weight.

Looks good! I like the steel wheels.

I did some mud-plugging in mine over the weekend. Really impressed with the Nexen AT2 tires that I fitted recently. Good both on the road and off it. It was the first time I'd been in heavy mud and the Challenger coped much better than I'd expected.

IMG_20170219_104907.jpg

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
Both look great! It's good to see some sports being posted! What size are those 31's Bryan? I just went from 245/75 to 255/85 (33.1" x 10") and am very happy with them. This is with just 2" OME kit and cranking the factory torsion bars. My Sport also has the 4.90 gears which is important when going to 33" diameter.

Here is a comparison picture showing my truck with stock suspension and 245/75's just a few month ago compared to now with a 2" lift and 255/85's.

bamaexplorer

Observer
This ones mine. Had the change names for what ever reason. (Guess i did somethi g wrong) Looks about the same just painted the hood with rattle can bed liner.
Need a little work. Has the great oil leak that kills the alternator.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
20170429_182201.jpg20170429_182301.jpg

I finally can contribute to this thread. My Sport will be largely supporting the rebuild and repurpose of my 88 Mighty Max. I'm going to scavenge all the running gear front the front and transform the Max to 2-piston calipers, large rotors, and the later CVs. The rear axle supply the matching 4.9 gears for my leaf spring Sport rear axle. The remainder of the Sport will be available as parts for the masses: 3.0L, AWD with full power options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles