Post your most recent Handmade Mod

thecriscokid

Explorer
Post up your most recent homemade, handcrafted, non bolt-on improvement to your set up.

The idea is to share unique ideas.

We all know what a new ARB accessory or set of 255 tires like, so lets not put that here.

Big or small post it!

angusdevil

Adventurer
Post up your most recent homemade, handcrafted, non bolt-on improvement to your set up.

The idea is to share unique ideas.

We all know what a new ARB accessory or set of 255 tires like, so lets not put that here.

Big or small post it!

Mine would be my laptop mount that I did a few weeks ago. I'm in the process of crafting up some radio mounts so I'll have pics of that soon as well.

IMG00088-20090825-2300.jpg

computeruser

Explorer
I needed a way to organize my supplies for UPOverland2009 for two adults in a TJ for a week, with the goal being to not need to obtain anything along the way except fuel. I needed to fit this stuff, plus two folding chairs and two duffel bags, into the Jeep, in such a way that I could get at things without having to unfasten or remove everything else to get to it:

DSCF1955Medium.jpg

A quick trip to the garage netted some scrap OSB and a couple old bedframe pieces. Soon, we had a system that was solid enough for me to bounce on (240lbs), to tie down to with ratchet straps, and to keep stuff underneath in place over bumpy terrain (or worse):

DSCF1961Medium.jpg

Being somewhat lazy, I used existing holes in the bedframe pieces whenever possible, and bolted to factory spots instead of having to drill the vehicle or fabricate intricate brackets.

DSCF1957Medium.jpg

Ultimately, I was able to fit everything in, comfortably. The cross-supports were even positioned to prevent the Rubbermaid ActionPackers from shifting side-to-side. The real test came later, though, over the 1200 mile round trip for UPOverland2009, of which much of the 479 mile official route was bumpy or worse.

DSCF1951Medium.jpg

Damned if it didn't work! Everything stayed in place, no rattles/squeaks, and we were able to get to stuff easily in heavy rains, without having to remove all our gear or spend extended periods of time with the Jeep opened up such that rain could get into the vehicle and into/onto the gear. Total cost...a couple hours, some electricity, a couple 6"/.040" cutting wheels, and some .035" flux core wire.

P1000994Medium.jpg

Windshield.jpg

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Mine is the rear swing out last weekend. Only took an afternoon.
We started by taking a piece of square for the main beam of the swing out. I then cut and bent up a tube of 1.5" for the second piece. I decided to keep the tire under the truck.
I wanted to keep the jerry cans close into the truck and low. We drew up a design on the computer for the plasma cutter and then used the brake to bend up the actual jerry can holder.
I knew that I wanted a table so we took some left over galvanized steel. It was so thin and floppy that we used the brake to add some strength to it with a couple convex bends. We then cut/bent up the sides and spot welded them together. We spot welded the piano hinge to the cross beam of the swing out and riveted the piano hinge on the table side. To hole the table at its "in use" 90 degree angle we stole a used throttle cable from the 1600 race car. Cut it to length and put eyelets on the ends.
We then welded on the locating pin and made two holes. One for 90 degrees open and one for the swing to be at a full 180 degrees. The "close" latch was welded into place once it was adjusted.
We welded up a few tabs for straps to hold the jerry cans in place for now. (next time I'll make a metal strap that will have a padlock on the upper mounting point.)
The license plate was a complete afterthought. Just before heading back to Phoenix I realized it and I used a couple sheet metal screws to "fix" the problem for now.
Check it out:

9-19-09SunflowerMine003.jpg

9-19-09SunflowerMine004.jpg

9-19-09SunflowerMine005.jpg

9-19-09SunflowerMine010.jpg

9-19-09SunflowerMine014.jpg

9-19-09SunflowerMine011.jpg

9-19-09SunflowerMine007.jpg

D

DEEZLPWR

cooking table, hangs off the tiregate. very sturdy and doesnt wobble. im sure it will hold round 50lb easy. when i build the bed storage i will have a 2 five pound propane tanks feeding the cooker.

DSC00644.jpg

mrbishi

Adventurer
Here's my rear storage system - a main slide comes out and then the table folds out. I've done a bit more to it since these pictures and will get some on a camping trip coming up this weekend.

table_open2.jpg

table_open3.jpg

table_closed.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

Here's my rear storage system - a main slide comes out and then the table folds out. I've done a bit more to it since these pictures and will get some on a camping trip coming up this weekend.

Man, thats a slick set up

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Owning a Mitsubishi Montero, almost EVERYTHING i've added has had to be modified to fit...

Jeep TJ Bumpers front & rear: For the front I 'simply' modified the ends of the front frame rails to match up to the bumper & for the rear I created an adapter to mount the rear bumper up to the stock bumper's mounting holds.

Laptop Mount: I simply cut some 1/16" thick aluminum plate to the correct width and bent it to fit under the stock center 3 gauge pod.

Camera Mount: 2 pieces of 3/4" square tube aluminum, some 1/4x20 fasteners, a piece of 6"x2"x1/16" metal plate, & a ball mount equals a great camera mount (so long as someone's in the passenger seat)

Window Screens: for those toasty evenings. A bit of screen material, 4" wide nylon ribbon (@ your fabric store), some magnets, & my sisters sewing machine.

HiLift Mount: made to work with my aftermarket roof basket. Simply 2 (or more) Yakima bar clamps, large flat washers, & longer 5/16" carriage bolts.

pray4surf

Explorer
Optima Battery hold-down and tray
DSC01560.jpg

DSC01562.jpg

Bed mounted hi-lift jack
DSC01559.jpg

Modified 4WD shifter lever
DSC00772.jpg

Aux lighting support bar
DSC00649.jpg

Bracketry for OBA components and Aux Fuse Block
DSCN5086.jpg

DSCN5089.jpg

DSCN5287.jpg

Bracketry for OBA QD's (one per side)
DSCN5289.jpg

more to come...

pray4surf

Explorer
Bed rack for RTT
DSC01721.jpg

DSC01729.jpg

Added later, bed bar / stiffener
DSC01838.jpg

Like many others, I cannot add an aftermarket item without modifying it.

The front bumper - added some filler pieces
Before
DSC00619.jpg

DSC00770.jpg

BumperFiller.jpg

The rear bumper - modified to allow a closer fit - with the removal of some of the material, bumper no longer sticks out like a dock bumper
DSC01016.jpg

dsw4x4

Adventurer
I modified my van with a new roof and made some hardware for it to go up and down, then spent two weeks with my girlfriends mom sewing material fabbed up a roof rack and the end result was this!!!
That was a six month story condensed in to two lines.
Before

IMG_1546.jpg

After

IMG_2342.jpg

interior
IMG_2347.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online