post your Suburban pics

mkitchen

Explorer
Thought I might demonstrate that I am not a Ford only kind of guy

I have been posting quite a bit about my 71 F 250 and I thought that I would mention that I enjoy lots of different makes. In fact my first trucks were Internationals from 1951 on up. Too bad they are all gone now, I would love to have a couple again. But alas, I moved on to Chevy and below is my one and only Suburban. I know, it really isn't a true Suburban, but we always called it that. For those who are from up north, you probably recognize it as a crummy. Crummies were used by the logging companies to haul the workers to where ever they were working at the time. This one was originally bought by the National Forest Service and under that blue and white paint is the original dark green of the forest service. Forest Service was dark green for a long time then they went to the pale green that they have now.
We have had Buster (yeah, we name all of our rigs) since 1980 and it is a 1960. I believe that it was the first vehicle that I was actually able to drive home. I usually got my vehicles through trade and they would normally be towed home, then fixed. I still remember my daughter telling me that we forgot the tow chain when we left to get the truck. She was five at the time and that same daughter learned how to drive in Buster and now her daughter is learning how to drive in it.
Buster is now my daughter's and she still loves it. She has re-built the drive train with a small block 383, with newly built trans, and diffs. She plans to keep it stock except for the engine. Stll lots of body work to be done but it is getting there. She does not want to use it anymore for backcountry use. I am hoping that I can convince her to catch an Old Iron Run some time down the way.

21j6djb.jpg

BPMOU

Observer
Newly acquired 99 3/4 ton. 454.

Was "lucky" enough to find an LT, which translates to worn out leather, a bunch of failed electronic gizmos, and a button to engage the 4x4 that may or may not work every 100 presses, rather than those ridiculous levers that positively engage the transfer case anytime you pull it... Who in their right mind would want one of those? But, and this makes it all worth it, the rear view mirror has a digital compass!

Anyway, it was a score. Finally a "project" that hasn't turned out to be a much deeper pit than I anticipated. Scored it for a song and dumped $3k into fixing all the various leaks, seals, brakes, diffs, encoder motor, tires, dump the cherry bomb exhaust and a new windshield. Now she's a solid ride, and definitely worth it.
View attachment 92237

Sounds like my 2002 2500 Project. I just got done doing all of the tie rods,two front hubs, a new exhaust, new fuel pump and filter, full tune up. Now I need a new water pump and a steering box. Then service the tranny, transfer and diffs and she should be good to go for a while.

sw99

It is, sad looking at that now knowing what was on it when he sold it.

I'm working on that... ORD Shackle flip and crossover steering will be here tomorrow. Getting some new perches in a couple days so I can reset the pinion angle since I'm adding the zero rate's and ORD 4.5" shackles also. That should give me 5.5" in the rear and some new 6" springs up front. Then the new 35's and a few other goodies...

warrior1

my burb??

well, this is my suburban. it started life as a 1991 "phantom" conversion suburban that i got off craigslist for $800. I decided to cut it up and here is my progress so far. i have been working on this since sept. i plan on using it to travel the southwest area of utah and colorado. actually, to travel everywhere. so here are a few pictures of the transformation. i have a 4" tuff country lift kit from ORD,( it rocks, rides so much better) also have swapped out the seats for some from a 2001 truck. ill post more pics later, but this is a small intro.
rear window is from a ramcharger liftgate that i cut in half. it is removeable by a few screws. i intend to remove the doors during summer and run tube doors.

Attachments

• during.jpg
    during.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 160
  • now.jpg
    now.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 166
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 149

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Now that is one cool:Wow1:conversion. What a steal for $800 bucks! Warrior, do you have any more pics of your build?:ylsmoke:

joker_fly

Fellow traveller : do you have any More pics of your rig ? How is the front locker holding up ? Any problems

Posted via iPhone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior