Post your tents

Lost Roadie

Looks good. How did you affix the panels? What kind of panels did you get? Contemplating adding solar to mine.

Thanks!
I used THIS tape all around the perimeter and THIS tape over the front and back. The panels on the RTT are Renogy 100w flexible panels I bought refurbished from Renogy.

Good luck!

i-Qs3Q2Qq.jpg

i-2S85nHP.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone used a rtt in a downpour or when it rains for several days. Will it stay dry inside. One spot I go it often rains. We are there for 7 to 9 days and sometimes it rains every day.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Our last fishing trip to the beach it rained for 4 days straight and was nasty but the fishing was exceptional. Things where pretty dry in both tents.
058940bfb1a472ad6ebdf1f200815ce3.jpg

4218390bd6677c53201671be01973483.jpg

935ef13dfc4fcdd23715b129226a9631.jpg

www.yellowskeeter.com

geanes

Smittybilt Overlander 2783. Love the tent, have spent about 20 nights camping in it and find it to be a solid tent with good construction and protection from the elements when in inside. Pic is from Big Bend National Park back in February. I removed the foam mattress pad and replaced with a full-size air mattress (takes about 30 seconds to inflate using my Ryobi 18v compressor). The air mattress makes a world of difference comfort-wise (rivals my bed at home). It deflates in about a minute as well. I typically pull the air release plug and then go "downstairs" to prepare coffee and breakfast. By the time I return, the mattress is completely aired-down and ready to be folded with the bedding at which point I can fold the tent closed.

Having said all that, I am looking at upgrading to the Smittybilt Overlander XL or the ROAM Vagabond. Reason being: exposure. The one limitation of the 2783 is that there is no real overhead/side coverage or privacy when entering and leaving the tent. The XL and Vagabond have "extended" coverings that provide more privacy and weather protection. Additionally, when using the attached annex room (which I will get), you can enter and leave the tent in complete protection/privacy so you can change clothes for instance which is my ultimate goal. My wife actually loves the tent, but doesn't like that she has no "privacy" when getting out and in.

Attachments

• Overland Tent.jpg
    Overland Tent.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 52
Im on my 4th RTT had a tepui softtop, a roofnest hardshell an autohome grand tour and now I have settled on this, its going to become part of the truck permantly after expo west.
if you curious about roofnest check this or the autohome grand tour maggiolina check this review of alu cab exped 3 is comig soon. 512534512535

Nathansharkey80

Im on my 4th RTT had a tepui softtop, a roofnest hardshell an autohome grand tour and now I have settled on this, its going to become part of the truck permantly after expo west.
if you curious about roofnest check this or the autohome grand tour maggiolina check this review of alu cab exped 3 is comig soon. View attachment 512534View attachment 512535

Do you like the Ali-cab tent better than the autohome one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harpersJK

How do you like that Stealth? I’m interested in it, but nervous of the listed weight.

I love it, built like a tank and very nice on the inside. I thought about some of the other name brand fiberglass ones, but I saw too many issues with the gel coat and cracking. With the aluminum shell, this is never an issue and Eezi-Awn and Paul at Equipt are First Class operations! Mine is the latest version with power inside, so there is a light and USB hookup which is nice. Also, driving down the road you don't even know it's up there, very quiet.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Randy

Lucky j

Explorer
In case it ever happen, if you camp in cold climate, like around freezing, an air matress is much colder than any foam matress. The air within the matress will never warm up, it will even cool you down. To counter this, you could use camping foam matress. You will keep the confort of the air matress, but add the insulatation of an evazote type of sleeping pad.

Smittybilt Overlander 2783. Love the tent, have spent about 20 nights camping in it and find it to be a solid tent with good construction and protection from the elements when in inside. Pic is from Big Bend National Park back in February. I removed the foam mattress pad and replaced with a full-size air mattress (takes about 30 seconds to inflate using my Ryobi 18v compressor). The air mattress makes a world of difference comfort-wise (rivals my bed at home). It deflates in about a minute as well. I typically pull the air release plug and then go "downstairs" to prepare coffee and breakfast. By the time I return, the mattress is completely aired-down and ready to be folded with the bedding at which point I can fold the tent closed.

Having said all that, I am looking at upgrading to the Smittybilt Overlander XL or the ROAM Vagabond. Reason being: exposure. The one limitation of the 2783 is that there is no real overhead/side coverage or privacy when entering and leaving the tent. The XL and Vagabond have "extended" coverings that provide more privacy and weather protection. Additionally, when using the attached annex room (which I will get), you can enter and leave the tent in complete protection/privacy so you can change clothes for instance which is my ultimate goal. My wife actually loves the tent, but doesn't like that she has no "privacy" when getting out and in.

geanes

In case it ever happen, if you camp in cold climate, like around freezing, an air matress is much colder than any foam matress. The air within the matress will never warm up, it will even cool you down. To counter this, you could use camping foam matress. You will keep the confort of the air matress, but add the insulatation of an evazote type of sleeping pad.

Good point. I thankfully don't camp in temps below 40 degrees, so the air mattress has worked fine. But, I can definitely see this being valuable if I were to camp in CO or UT in the winter like so many do where temps are in the 20s or lower and there is snow. Definitely will look into a camping foam mattress as an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94