Postponed.... The sequel to the Maya Rally 2012 -> The 2013 Alaska Rally!

matt s

Explorer
Happy to help how I can. I would love to see this happen.

Fall is end of August early September. Subtract from that as you go north. It's also wet. Possible snow as you go north. In south central you can push that timeline till October. Fall is one of my favorite times of year. Remember hunting seasons open then and the amount of company you will have in the backcountry goes way up. On the plus side the trout fishing peaks at this time.

If I had to put money on weather, I'd go with solstice. I know many cant make it that soon, but really many of us can't make that kind of trip regardless of lead time, so I'm not sure that should be the driving force in your decisions. I imagine that with some notable exceptions those who both can and would commit to this will find a way even with short notice.

If you really had to push it back I would look at the last week of July and first week(s) of August. You gain 4-6 weeks lead time and are still in before the cooler weather and hunting season kick off (depending on the game unit that is around August 15) It does put you late for the red salmon and perhaps a touch early for the silvers.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Great guys, thanks for the input so far. Karl and I will talk again over the next days and take a final decision.
It takes a lot of time to organize this, and I have my own wedding to organize in August...stay tuned.

Containerized

Adventurer
Great input here in this thread - keep it coming, particularly route and things-to-stop-for suggestions (it's awfully hard to figure out anything only from Google Maps)!

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
As I read this I think, "How much of a hit can the credit card really take?" I teach school and have the summer months of June and July free. I spent a summer in Alaska and it is my goal to get back. Oh how tempting.

Viggen

Just here...
It takes a lot of time to organize this, and I have my own wedding to organize in August...stay tuned.

Thats not your job, thats hers. And dont fool yourself into thinking that youll have any real input either...

Ill keep watching. My wife and I have been wanting to get to Alaska for a long time. It would be a serious drive but who knows...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
As I said before.. Count me in... I'm still working my way back from the maya rally... But may as merge the end of one rally into the beginning of the next...:)..
Shayne and Sandra young.. Www.YoungRovers.com.
. (2nd place in the 4wd category Maya rally 2012... Lol)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles