Potential Off Road Trailer Build / Conversion

Gizzard Stone

Overlander
Greetings,

I have a trailer that has been in the family for 20+ years. It's an Aerotow, which was fairly wide spread back then. We used to see a lot of them in CA. My parents bought it in Bakersfield, CA for towing behind our '83 bronco. We did a lot of camping in that setup and a family of 5. It's seen a lot of use and abuse. 4x4 roads, dirt roads, getting jacknifed, used to haul landscaping rock, loosing a wheel while full of landscaping rock... Still going strong.

gYIcaebl.jpg

Now I want to mod it to run 4Runner wheels and the same tires I run on the 4Runner. (265/75 16) so it can follow us on adventures without having to be super careful about dragging the fenders and the tiny tires.

IMG_4110.jpg

I need a wider axle. Thinking Torsion for economy Timbren if I feel like going big. Pro/Cons of each? The trailer is 700# dry so I don't think I'd need to go more than a 2000# axle.

Also will have to custom build new fenders and add fuel/water can mounts unless there is a pre-made product that would be suitable.

The only mod I've done so far is welding on a receiver at the rear so I can run a bike rack. It works great, but it is hard to front load it enough for the tongue weight to be right so I'm thinking I'll mount a rack on the lid and move extra gear up there. Though mounting a spare tire + water/fuel fore of the axle might be enough.
IMG_2208.jpg

Motivation is because the 4Runner isn't big enough for all 4 of us and gear if we bring bikes or more than just camping gear. Plus, it's more efficient to haul a trailer than run any kind of roof rack mileage wise. Also, for the comparitive costs of racks and rooftop accessories, I think I could make this trailer SUPER rad.

Last question, if I build it out for off road use do you think I'd be able to sell it for what I put into it if it ends up not being something we like using?

-M

Gizzard Stone

Overlander
THE Build has BEGUN!

I've begin the process of building out this trailer into an Overlander.

Getting new springs and axles and hubs with brakes to run 16 inch 4Runner wheels with 265/75R16 tires, same as our 4Runner. Might be done as early as this week. Then I need to add back the fenders and fix a few other things and it'll be ROLLING!

Here's a Walk-Around video I did a while back:

GONNA BE SWEET! Really looking forward to having this back in service. It really makes it easy to get out of town FAST!

-M

rnArmy

Adventurer
Quote: "Last question, if I build it out for off road use do you think I'd be able to sell it for what I put into it if it ends up not being something we like using?"
-
Answer: "Rarely if ever".
-
Build it the way you want it for your use, and you'll most likely end up liking it and using it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles