power panel questions/suggestions

shade

What Verkstad said X2.

A much better choice vs. polycarbonate

I use carbide tooling on Phenoic with the exception of bi-metal hole saws and fine tooth jig saw blades. Cooling the blade from the back side with air makes the blades last longer.

When using hole saws cooling with air and clearing the powder out of the cut is really important.

Phenolic is a laminate. Heat will make it de-laminate.

Drilling may cause the back to chip/blow out. Try a few test holes before doing the real thing.

Edges are sharp enough to cut.
Thanks for more tips. I was discussing the project with a friend, and he fished that piece out of his stock of scrap. Free is much better than $230.

I have thin kerf carbide blades for my table saw, but I can still see the potential for a mess.

I may be better off cutting it with a vertical band saw since I can dial the speed down and feed it slowly. It's a small piece, and I can put a fence on the saw table.

No kidding about the edges. At the least, I'll sand those and the corners a little.

Alloy

Thanks for more tips. I was discussing the project with a friend, and he fished that piece out of his stock of scrap. Free is much better than $230.

I have thin kerf carbide blades for my table saw, but I can still see the potential for a mess.

I may be better off cutting it with a vertical band saw since I can dial the speed down and feed it slowly. It's a small piece, and I can put a fence on the saw table.

No kidding about the edges. At the least, I'll sand those and the corners a little.

If I'm not concernd with edge quality the I'll cut Phenolic with a band saw then soon after toss the blade in the garbage.

shade

no plans for a guard. the aussies run their panels the same way without issue.
It's out of the way, so not much of a problem.

Mine will be in a more confined space with people likely to be stupid around it, so I'll probably add something.

shade

Yeah, I doubt there's much going to get up against it like that. Mine will be in the cab, so I need to keep it out of sight, which is another reason for a cover.

Aren't big side doors nice! With a mid size truck, the entire bed can be easily reached. 3rd gen Tacoma?

blackohio

Observer
Yeah, I doubt there's much going to get up against it like that. Mine will be in the cab, so I need to keep it out of sight, which is another reason for a cover.

Aren't big side doors nice! With a mid size truck, the entire bed can be easily reached. 3rd gen Tacoma?
correct. 3rd gen.

the alu cab canopy is awesome. huge doors, fully opens.

D1C9D369-4554-4994-97DD-218BC092C436.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94