Power Wagon: Video, Pictures and Love

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
FYI, the Dodge factory Power Wagon rock rails require drilling the frame a whole bunch - 24 holes as I recall. If you can find a set of factory rails, they will not void any portion of the warranty.
I can't find them anywhere.
My dealer never even heard of them.

...barely knows what a PW is too...

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Bill- I gave up two years ago looking for the factory ones as they were discontinued then. Haven't needed them thus far with the 37s :)

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I am going to start a new build thread for the Only Power Wagon specific, Overland Expo 2011 insipred Aluminess Slimline 3rd generation Bumper in existance. .. stay tuned!

RoyJ

Adventurer
How close to a PW's performance, would a diesel Ram running Carli Backcountry kit come? As far as I know, the Backcountry kit offers the most suspension travel of any setup (12.5" front and 13.5" rear if I remember correctly). With a sway bar quick disconnect kit, it should flex close to, or more than the stock PW.

I also heard a locker has become available for the rear 11.5 axle in the last year or two. If so, then it may be easier to build a "PW" from a regular diesel.

kayak15

Observer
Hey guys. Really wanting to get a new powerwagon in the next few months. Problem is that I REALLY want the premium bucket seats that are available in the new trucks but I don't know if there available in the powerwagon. Can anyone tell me if the premium bench seats are available in the powerwagon?

Thanks

Kevin

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
How close to a PW's performance, would a diesel Ram running Carli Backcountry kit come? As far as I know, the Backcountry kit offers the most suspension travel of any setup (12.5" front and 13.5" rear if I remember correctly). With a sway bar quick disconnect kit, it should flex close to, or more than the stock PW.

I also heard a locker has become available for the rear 11.5 axle in the last year or two. If so, then it may be easier to build a "PW" from a regular diesel.
Don Thuren's just released his own swaybar which includes quick disconnects. $499. He's got pics on his facebook page. Good guy to speak to regarding suspension upgrades. His 3" coils are amazing.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I've got a PW, just can't seem to find any type of aftermarket support!:snorkel:

Can't wait to get restoring this beast.

PowerWagon003.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hey guys. Really wanting to get a new powerwagon in the next few months. Problem is that I REALLY want the premium bucket seats that are available in the new trucks but I don't know if there available in the powerwagon. Can anyone tell me if the premium bench seats are available in the powerwagon?

Thanks

Kevin
Mine has the premium bench seats ------ which I don't like nearly as much as the bucket seats that my Jeep JK had.
The front is a split design with power driver's seat, fold-down center console; the rears flip up and have storage under one side and subwoofer under the other. There's also in-floor storage.

I really hate the seats after a long day. I never had a seat punish me this much except for one very cruel motorcyle.

haven

Expedition Leader
Power Wagon is "2012 Pickup of the Year"

The editors of Four Wheeler Magazine have named the Dodge Ram Power Wagon their 2012 Pickup of the Year.
http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/6762667/editorials/2012-pickup-truck-of-the-year/index.html

There's a better writeup about the award at Pickuptrucks.com
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/12/2012-power-wagon-wins-four-wheeler-award.html

If you're considering a full size truck for ExPo-style adventure travel, the Power Wagon has more than double the cargo capacity of the Ford F150 Raptor. It's built on a 2500 truck chassis, while the Raptor starts with a 1500 series truck.

There is no diesel option for the Power Wagon. My understanding is that the winch in the front bumper of the Power Wagon blocks airflow to the turbo intercooler. It might also be that the intercooler sticks down below the bumper that it's vulnerable to damage when off-road. For whatever reason, Dodge doesn't make a diesel Power Wagon. Instead, you'll have to start with a Ram 2500 diesel pickup, and add bigger tires, off-road suspension and diff lockers.

RoyJ

Adventurer
In case anyone is not aware, just want to add that as of 2012 MY, the PW comes with 66RE instead of the ancient outdated 545RFE.

This new transmission is a true 6 speed, using the same gear ratios as the diesel 68RE. This makes the PW an even better workhorse!

(Note this transmission is different from the "fake" 6 speed in the 1500 Rams, the 65RE)

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
In case anyone is not aware, just want to add that as of 2012 MY, the PW comes with 66RE instead of the ancient outdated 545RFE.

This new transmission is a true 6 speed, using the same gear ratios as the diesel 68RE. This makes the PW an even better workhorse!

(Note this transmission is different from the "fake" 6 speed in the 1500 Rams, the 65RE)
Also available with the RamBox and in 3 trim levels: ST, SLT, and Laramie.

Aluminess

Observer
I heard back from Aluminess; the sliders bolt to the body, not the frame.
Not sure I like that, especially when I can find frame-mounted for less money.

Any other slider suggestions?

If anyone is questioning the strength of our sliders mounted to the body you should take a look at these pictures. One of our customers was hit at 50mph by someone who ran a red light. These particular sliders were made out of chromoly, but are still mounted to the body of the vehicle.

image-2.jpg
image-3.jpg
image.jpg
image-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94