Power Wagon: Video, Pictures and Love

Fireman78

Expedition Leader

Nothing but love for this truck. :)

Not sure how many overland capable vehicles are capable of this

If you need to be winched out... this is a sight you will love to see.. trust me. (Aluminess Bumper-- newest upgrade)

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
If anyone is questioning the strength of our sliders mounted to the body you should take a look at these pictures. One of our customers was hit at 50mph by someone who ran a red light. These particular sliders were made out of chromoly, but are still mounted to the body of the vehicle.
Christmas sale?

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
:eek: Seeing that wrecked white 2010 PW with the FWC makes me want to cry. Such a sweet combination to see banged up. Hope everything worked out okay for this guy. That has always been my favorite truck here on Expo.

Halligan

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure the truck in the accident is the same Power Wagon seen in the video posted on the first page in post #9.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Metcalf, the reason they dont make a reg cab version is so you can buy a Cummins reg cab and build one the right way!

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
They made a handful regular cabs in the 3rd Gen (05's -09's) . Not the 4th Gen from what I'm hearing.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I would be really tempted to do that too.....you can order the powerwagon axle assemblies easy enough. Even with the smaller 10.5 ring and pinion I would be willing to give it a try. For the same, or less, money however you could just take it down and have a pair of ARB lockers installed. I don't know why they just won't make a lighter duty diesel with the 4.5L 4cyl engine....than there would be PLENTY of room for the powerwagone winch and swaybar.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I wonder why they don't make a regular cab version?

I agree, they need to build regular cab Power Wagons. At least they are finally going to start making the PW in a ST trim, which will help reduce the cost of the truck. Not everybody wants or needs all the SLT bells and whistles. Before I had my Phoenix camper built for my ’78 I sent RAM a several messages through their website and RamZone website requesting regular cabs as well as an ST trim option, as I was considering having a camper built for a PW instead. They sent several responses back that they were reviewing expanding the PW across more of the 2500 series lineup. The RAM brand got it half right with ST trim (& Laramie trim for those mall crawler types that needs all those comforts)!

Ah, here we go on diesels again. Who cares about a diesels. I wouldn’t own a new diesel! There is no value in new diesels unless you are towing 80% of the time or driving 80,000 miles per year. You can buy a lot of gas for the hassle of owning a 2007 and later emissions compliant diesel. Diesel fuel economy is down, reliability and durability are down, diesel fuel is up, maintenance cost is up and the diesel engine option cost in new vehicles keeps going up thanks to the rising diesel emissions standards. Not sure why anybody would dream of a diesel engine in any new vehicle these days. For those that think diesels are still the greatest thing like they were just 5 years ago, well….things have changed. The last model year of diesel worth owning was in 2006. If you work on diesels or with diesels on a daily basis you would probably share my same feelings.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
While I tend to agree being that most new diesel require urea, particulate filters, EGR, etc.....

The 5.7 Hemi V8 doesn't really seem to have enough oomph to push around these big trucks especially loaded down with the typical gear you might find on this board.

I really love my old dodge but lately I have been craving something a little newer and more comfortable...... specifically a 2003-2006ish Dodge regular cab 8' bed base model with the diesel. I would basically just rebuild the current vehicle I have now....but with a more comfortable interior, better heating and cooling, better cruise control, etc....

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
The 5.7 Hemi V8 doesn't really seem to have enough oomph to push around these big trucks especially loaded down with the typical gear you might find on this board.

You’re right about that. I test drove a new body style 2010 PW this last fall (a purdy Black one!) and was amazed by the power it didn't have. It was more gutless than my stock Tahoe Z71 with a 5.3L. Our high Colorado altitude eats up a lot of power just due to the nature of living here but it was noticeably slow. On the other hand, board member Coloradobill and I test drove a used 2005 or 2006 old body style Quad cab Power Wagon with the same 5.7L Hemi and…. WOW, that one was fast! It would actually leave a two tire fire just poking the pedal to the floor at a dead stop and ran out like a scalded dog. We think it had some ECM tuning done somewhere along the line. Like GM engines, I think Chrysler has the gas engine calibrations set up with too much torque management to protect the driveline. Turn off torque management and add a hot tune gives them an all new personality. The bone stock 8.1L in my 2001 Silverado doesn’t have near the power the 8.1L does in my ’78 K10 running tweaked ECM calibrations. The stock 2001 Silverado 8.1L has plenty of power while the same engine in the ’78 is just flat out mean.

In a perfect world, a 2010 body style Ram PW in a standard cab with a 6 speed manual in White paint with a pre-2007 emissions Cummins would be awesome. If only we could buy a brand new truck like that today I'd buy one too!

Don't get me wrong, I am not 100% against diesels. In fact, I love them too. I just hate 2007 and later diesels. The feds have killed diesels for all to enjoy. The new diesel emissions drive a great arguement to go back to a big block gas.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Not sure what Dodge has done with the Hemi's.

My dad had an '06 1500 with the 5.7, and it was a dog.

That one got totaled, and he ended up with an '09 2500 with the 5.7.

Both trucks were 4x4, crew cab, short box.

But the '09 has more than enough snort! There isn't even a fair comparison to make between the two. The '06 felt like it had a slant 6 six in it, while the '09 breaths fire!

Neither truck had been 'tuned' or messed with, all stock.

Both trucks average about the same mileage, with the 3/4T doing a bit better when towing.

Hawkz

Adventurer
My 2005 quadcab is a 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 and 3.92 gears and it'll get up and go. The day I bought it, I drove another almost identical truck with the 3.55 gears and it was a dog... I wouldn't think that small of a difference in gearing would make a difference, but it did... With the PW 4.56 gears these trucks should fly...

::EDIT::
There is a very nice 2005 Regular Cab Powerwagon for sale in TN right now. It's on autotrader.com

I was seriously thinking about buying it, but decided not to. I thought I would share... =)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke