Pre birth of a camper - No laughing!

Nigel Evans

Observer
Ullie - Thanks for the info, 10,000 euro is a bit rich for me!

Ian - That link's still not working. Do you have a company name and location? My daughter has a sales office in Italy who may be able to help.

Still waiting for a reply to Toyo UK pleading with them to place a special order. I'll let you know how I get on.

Nigel Evans

Observer
That e-2003 site has some wierd Java e-commerce system that made my computer hang! I'd managed to get the email address so I'll drop them a line to see if they'll supply the UK. Many thanks for the information, I'll let you know how I get on.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Nigel
The company Ullie bought them off in the Netherlands might ship them and would probably be cheaper than sourcing in the UK (or Ireland).

I

Nigel Evans

Observer
Ian
Rob at Gabo in Amsterdam said he wouldn't supply the tyres but I've emailed him again to see if he'll change his mind.
Modifications are required, acording to this site http://vps.paymentgroup.de/uli/vario/thomass2/. I find this a bit strange as the 4x4 rides about 120mm higher than the 4x2. You might like to google: Einzelbereifung (16 Zoll) an Vorder- und Hinterachse
für Mercedes-Benz VARIO 4x4. This seems perfect setup! Only problem, Paul no longer do this conversion and the tyres are no longer made.

incognito

Adventurer
Hy ,

i was woundering if it is posssible to cut the Doka Vario with a electrical saw with a metal blade. then buy a used or acccidented wohnmobil, taken the suspension out living only the frame which you put on your VArio.fabricate some metal parts to bolt the wohnmobile to your Vario frame seems to me like the most easy, fast and inexpensive way to do a conversion. The only thing i was asking myself is onces you are done is there an inspection to pass in order to plate the Vario as a camper? is it difficult in Germany to plate DIY conversions?

http://suchen.mobile.de/wohnwagen-i...red=ONLY_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&categories=Alcoves

incognito

Last edited:

Nigel Evans

Observer
Rob at Gabo Amsterdam (thanks to Ian for the link) has given me a price for the 285/70R19.5 Toyo M608Z tyres - 425 euro including fitting plus delivery and VAT. With the powdercoated rims this comes to just short of £4000! Which is just a couple of grand short of what my brother paid for a tidy low milage Leyland DAF GS 45/150 with 5 brand new Michelins. I've placed my order with gritted teeth, I just hope they do the job. I would have stuck with the original Michelin XZT but the thought of heading off to Africa with 16 year old tyres didn't seem vary smart. Anyone want a set of 7 Michelin XZT 215/75R17.5 tyres on MB 814 rims :)

Redd

Ian hey, been looking at the esb varios also, interesting yokes. couple of questions, - no need to answer any you dont want to, and apologies if im being nosy / forward.
• do you need a lorry licence to drive them?
• any notion of mpg
• what engine is in them
• what mileage did yours have? there's never any mention of mileage on dd.
• finally, did you buy yours at auction, or on donedeal?

Last edited:

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Nigel, not sure where you are, but may be interested in your old rims. How much are after for them?

Thans

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nigel Evans

Observer
The wheels are going to either be in Southamton or at my home in Gloucestershire. No idea what they are worth, can't be much! I'll check the date code when I'm next in Southampton but I'm pretty sure they are OEM so should be around 16 years old. Ian, sorry for hijacking your thread, hope you didn't mind. I'll start my own soon with pictures of the work Qualiti Conversions are doing on my van.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Ian hey, been looking at the esb varios also, interesting yokes. couple of questions, - no need to answer any you dont want to, and apologies if im being nosy / forward.
• do you need a lorry licence to drive them?
• any notion of mpg
• what engine is in them
• what mileage did yours have? there's never any mention of mileage on dd.
• finally, did you buy yours at auction, or on donedeal?

- They have a GVW of 7500kg so you need a minimum of a "C1" license to drive them. A standard "B" license will not work - even after it's converted to a camper.
- I'm told it will do 20mpg on a good day - But I've not driven mine enough to determine it for myself.
- Its a 4 cylinder 4.2L diesel.
- I got mine with 200kkms on it. This was the highest of the 4-5 at the auction but it was in best condition and although it had previously started on the button - wouldn't start during the auction. So that kept the bidding down. I paid €2,700. The most expensive was about €3,300.

Two places seem to do the auctions for the ESB - one in Claremorris and the other in Cavan. You need to contact them to find out when there's an auction as they are not great at advertising.

Redd

cheers for the concise info. i saw the mogs on dd after the auctions and the math in my head worked out at about 2.5k. Varios make more sense though, - really the car will spend more time on road than off. im currently driving an old school landcruiser 70. its nice, but not big enough for camping in. the mpg is about the same strangely )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94