Premium & High End Ice Chests & Coolers Reviews

IMO most bigger brand roto coolers are pretty equal. I have Rtic, Yeti, and Orca.

As mentioned before if you don’t pre cool them then you will not be impressed. If you do pre cool then they are incredible. I don’t put them inside the house as they will be outside anyways, but before I go I place frozen 2 liter bottles in each the day before I go. I’ll rotate the bottles and make sure they are cooling down.

Once set up I can keep everything cold for 4-5 days with about a 60/40 to 70/30 items/ice ratio. I can also keep stuff frozen in Texas heat for about 4 days max by placing the molded blue ice packs on bottom, frozen stuff in the middle then a layer of cardboard with dry ice on top. On our fishing trips we are 4 hours drive away from anything and people flip out when the kids are eating ice cream 3 days in to our trip.

What I usually carry is
1) Orca 140qt with 6-7 40 lb bags of ice.
2) Yeti 120’s one with drinks and one with food
1)Rtic 65 with frozen treats

All of the coolers are pretty equal but for some reason my Orca 140qt hold ice better than the rest but think it’s more of the shape. Quality wise I think the Rtic looks the best as the outside of the coolers are really clean and have a gloss finish to them.

Key thing like everyone has commented is you have to ice down the cooler down before you use it or if not you might as well save your $ and buy a cheap cooler. You can throw a sacrificial bag of ice in one or use frozen jugs. Once cool they will not disappoint. And if you have kids like I do be ready to say “shut the cooler” way more than at home telling them to turn off the lights.

Rtic is usually having great sales and if you call the shop in Houston they sell scratch and dents.

Also if you ever find an original yeti made from fiberglass, buy it. They hold ice for ever.

3b6113814f96ac00a93246c6adf76a09.jpg

www.yellowskeeter.com

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
Not too muddy the waters too much, I recently found these at a price that just shocked me.....2 roto molded coolers (55 qt) less than 250? They are made by Lifetime, a company out of Utah (they make a ton of different plastic things like picnic tables and patio furniture). I took the plunge. I have not yet had a chance to use them, but they are solid and the reviews I found have been good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVJP3WQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not too muddy the waters too much, I recently found these at a price that just shocked me.....2 roto molded coolers (55 qt) less than 250? They are made by Lifetime, a company out of Utah (they make a ton of different plastic things like picnic tables and patio furniture). I took the plunge. I have not yet had a chance to use them, but they are solid and the reviews I found have been good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVJP3WQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have a Lifetime SUP. Barely can hold 150# out of the water, yet it's rated for 250# or more. Lifeline is just out to make a buck using the cheapest manufacturing. I would not expect these coolers to be that effective. I don't want to rain on your parade- I'm always on the lookout for good deals as well.

Our cooler armada consists of a variety of brands and sizes. Igloo Wal-Mart special w/ wheels, ~50qt? It's ok, but the lid doesn't latch and the grab handles are ******t. Ozark Trail roto-molded 26qt. The little buddy cooler for short trips or picnics. Doesn't compare to higher-end coolers in regards to ice retention. Coleman Extreme 5, 100qt cooler. The big one. Works well. Just so dang big & heavy when full. And our newest addition. Yeti 45.

I'm not completely sold on high-priced coolers quite yet, mainly because I have the Coleman. That one is probably one of the best reviewed "cheap" ($66 on Amazon when I bought it) coolers.

I basically want a cooler for beverages and misc "doesn't have to be cold" food (condiments, hershey bars, fruits/veggies, etc., and one for the "must stay cold" items like meat, fish, etc.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Lifetimes are ok.. not fantastic.. good for $.. as poster above states Lifetime doesn't make top shelf stuff. They have had quality issues.

Meat processors will often throw your cooler in their freezer pre trip.. my place charges 5 bucks.

Best cooler imo is Pelican. Has shortcomings like weight ,chunky exterior, wonky drain plug, but bombproof, no warp, good seal, and holds ice like mad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94