Prepping a camel trophy defender 110 for around the world...

cgalpin

Observer
Ok thanks, I guess I'll make a beefier bar then as it will have no other rear support.

I called superwinch USA when I got it, and although they were friendly, they couldn't get me decals and then sent me the wrong plastic cover (I thought I was clear about it being the solenoid cover but I guess I should have gotten the part number).

The Rover Shop

Explorer
You da man...and you can definitely expect a visit from me when I get over your way.. hopefully won't need a motor then but will definitely need to buy you a beer or 10.. My bumper does have the extra 2 bolts into the frame sections but had to install a spacer to make them secure...if 4 is enough..6 should be even better...LOL..just in case I need to haul my truck into a tree I know it should hold..LOL....yes, mine has the EW SW 8 on it... I have heard that they are excellent winches and pull consistently all day long albeit a slower line speed...but hey, if I was in a hurry i wouldnt be on vacation would I...any idea on how many feet of steel cable they can hold..I am guessing 3/8.. my manual backup (a tirfor/griphoist) takes 7/16 cable but I believe the 3/8 cable will be enough on the superwinch..I was hoping to get about 100ft on it...the fairlead I have is not the roller style...any thoughts on how this works with the steel cable as I thought the non-roller was really for plasma cord..I was thinking of going plasma but I have not been that impressed with it in the past..it seems to bind and not lead in properly,,

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Rated Line Pull 8,500 lbs (3,856 kgs)
Motor 4.2 HP (3.13 KW) Sealed Series Wound
Gearing Worm Gear Gear Ratio 229:1
Solenoid Remote & Mountable Solenoid / Circuit Breaker Protected
Clutch Free-Spooling, Lever Control
Brake Automatic, 100% Load Holding
Rope Wire rope (9mm x 30m) Option 200007
Hook Heavy-Duty Clevis Pinned Latch
Fairlead Heavy-Duty 4-Way Roller (does not attach directly to winch)
Remote 12' Hand-Held
Dimensions 24.69" L x 9.75" D x 8.88" H (627mm L x 248.9 mm D x 226 mm H)
Drum Diameter 3" (76mm)
Drum Length 9" (229mm)
Mounting Bolt Pattern 10” x 4.5” (254mm x 114.3mm)
Installed Weight 116.9 lbs (53.02 kgs)
Shipping Weight 123.9 lbs (56.2)
Line Pull: 0 lbs 60 Amps Motor Draw / 22.6 FPM (6.9 M/M) Line Speed
Line Pull: 8,500 lbs 440 Amps Motor Draw / 1.5 FPM (0.5 M/M) Line Speed

I've got 125 feet of 9mm Synthetic on the drum. I don't use steel rope anymore; not using synthetic is like not having power steering. I usually use Dyneema Bowrope - that's David Bowyers DYneema spun stuff that is also heat treated. I find a rope last me about 3 years before it's relegated to extention/spare. However British Ropes are now making thier own rope out of Dyneema thread. I can get it for a lot less (I splice so therefore I buy in rope only) than even Bowrope. It's fine - does the job. After 12 years of using synthetic I would it's all much of a muchness, get the best price for the best deal. I've used Viking and I've got some MasterPull (?) somewhere (I was given them to test for an article) and they are both fine. Oddly enough I loathe the 'Safety Thimble' - but that's just my personal opinion. Snatch on synthetic is worse with faster winches - mainly 8274's or TDS9.5's and it gets worse as the rope gest 'fluffy'; speed is not an issue with a Husky

SOme years back I had the pleasure of working with Chris Horne - he's the best Instructor Land Rover Experience has or ever will have. A truly decent man. He put me through my Land Rover Experience winch instructors course (the very first ever :) ) and we used a 130 with a Husky on it. He told me about the pre-runs for the CT that he had done. They would always use a Husky equipped vehicle (never an 8274). On the Siberia pre-run they spent two weeks winching up to 14 hours a day virually non stop! When discussing the winch on that 130 he would run his hand over it like petting a dog.

Using synthetic reduces the wieght on the front of the vehicle, it's easier to use and safer; however it suffers terribly in the sun - especially in deserts. I remove it when not in use or cover it with a light proof cover

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
DId youy put the right oil in when you did the re-build. You need to avoid EP or Extreme Pressure oil (like EP90) as it destroys phosphor bronze - use an 85W140 motorcylce gear oil (synthetic is cool) in the worm drive. In the spur gear box you need a semi-fluid grease - One Shot swivel grease works wonders

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I did see somewhere before about that ep warning..have not put oil in it yet other than the assembly lube upon assembly... and great idea about the one-shot grease... thank you very much..after your mention of the rear support plate if you do happen to have one of those in stock I would greatly appreciate it...let me know how much and you got it...i can't thank you enough for the information and your time in this...I feel I have now been to husky winching 101...will there be a written test on this later...LOL...I will look into the synthetic winch line prices...it just seemed they used to be so gosh darn expensive...

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
How much is a 120' of 9mm over there?

I'll go and have a look in The Shed tomorrow night and see if I have one of those Bracing Bars. If not I'll grab you one from Superwinch - they are only £10 or so. Buy me a drink as and when

Husky Winching 101 lol!

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Well I went online and took a look at what the price of synthetic line is and I must admit...it has come down quite a bit since I was last looking and it was the "in" thing to have.. I bought 125ft of the 3/8 (these American heathens are still refusing to go to the metric system...LOL...) amsteel SK75 thread synthetic line with the incorporated heavy duty sling hook...line is rated at 17,600lbs... see, it almost sounds like I know what i am talking about now..LOL...I bought this for $270 delivered.. i will still need to keep my 75ft of 7/16 steel cable onboard as that is what my manual backup winch takes..(a 4000lb griphoist tirfor)..it can also double as an extra length of winch cable...if I need more than combined 200ft I have some serious problems..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
well I got a little sidetracked tonight with my latest camel "toy"...
latest-camel-157-XL.jpg

latest-camel-144-XL.jpg

latest-camel-151-XL.jpg

latest-camel-142-XL.jpg

latest-camel-145-XL.jpg

latest-camel-146-XL.jpg

Ahhhh, boys and their toys...the lights and turn signals work as well as the winch, the winch has a seperate remote control and is remarkably powerful, this thing will almost climb a vertical wall...lots and lots of torque..

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
These decals guys - do you want ALL the stickers that should be on the Husky or just the spur gearbox sticker? Also some of the Husky's have 'Husky' written on the spur gear box, others have 'Superwinch'; the 'Husky' sticker is not easy to get, in fact the factory are not sure if they have any left....

I love that toy 110 - very nice

cgalpin

Observer
Any and all you can get as I'd like to paint mine as well. Mine appears to have had something previously riveted to the top of the main housing removed.

Thanks, and sorry for hijacking.

cgalpin

Observer
I guess #22 wormbox is what I called the main housing (first pic). This one I need for sure.

IMG_0865.jpg

The others are gravy, but there are a couple warning stickers and then the one on the motor cover. I have that, but when ordering the solenoid cover they sent me one of those. Its not worth shipping it back and mine is a bit beat up so if I had a new sticker I could use it (the new one did not come with a sticker).

IMG_0866.jpgIMG_0867.jpg

Thanks again,
charles

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Okay

Do you need a solenoid cover? They are about £10 but I'm happy to swap for something I may need in the future!

Nice Iskra motor by the way

cgalpin

Observer
At this point I might as well - mine is just cracked from shipping and I could live with it as-is. But if the rest is all shiny and new looking with labels that would be awesome.

I'm happy to pay for it, or trade if you like. I got some ARB parts for a brit recently as he couldn't order them from there for some reason.

I'll take your word on the motor :). I have not used the winch yet and it's a bit of an odd one - seems to have been branded something else, never used, but moved around in a garage for 10+ years or so I'm told.

Thanks, and again sorry for the continued hijack. I'm happy to take this off thread if needed.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I have no stickers at all so whatever may have been on this when they were put on the camel trophy trucks at the time would be great..I guess the husky one on the spur box would be hard to see as it would be at the back of the unit..I think there may have been one under the control lever saying in/out...open/close or something similar.. If they don't have a particular decal if they would have a copy of it I should be able to get it replicated by a sticker guy...and can make extras for future needs by people... I know that the trophy trucks had the superwinch decals on them but I don't recall anything about husky anywhere externally..

This is what happens when you realise you have typed a response but not sent it...then it seems out of order..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier