Prepping a camel trophy defender 110 for around the world...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
well I got my brownchurch camel rack a while ago now and as if I didn't have enough to do I had some ideas... I am a firm believer in lots of lights.. I have 4 of the hella 4000 lights to install on the rack...these racks originally had the much smaller hella 500's installed but I wanted bigger.. I also want my RTT to be opened up over the hood and I also didn't want the tent to be mounted above the top rail of the tack as it makes it too top heavy and cumbersome...also the lights still sit higher than the top rail of the rack... So I decided to make the front of the rack and the lights to be able to pivot down when I want to deploy the tent.. I also wanted to be able to have the bush cables mounted in their normal position and to be able to have a guard in front of the lights... I cut the front bars off the rack and then welded a nut inside the top front rail so I can unbolt it to let it pivot..5 hinges along the bottom should support the weight and keep it from vibrating, I wanted a nice sturdy light bar that allowed the lights to be mounted just over 3 inches forwards of the rack and 2 inches lower...this way the back of the lamps fits in the cavity...I took a length of 4x4 3/16 angle and plasma cut the un-necessary material but leaving enough to add enough rigidity to stop the lights from vibrating... when I want to put the tent out it will simply be a case of undoing 2 (maybe 4) bolts and the front rail and light assy pivots down..
latest-camel-093-L.jpg
latest-camel-094-L.jpg
latest-camel-092-L.jpg
latest-camel-088-L.jpg
I will be trying to keep the same configuration of the lights i.e..2 lights per side...thinking I may put one of those remote controlled adjustable lights in the centre yet...might be handy for tracking wild critters...the light bar is just a rough up..I will be finishing the edges and rounding corners and cleaning up welds when i know its all done and actually works...LOL...
latest-camel-090-L.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
The rear door was getting a "little" rusty and cracked so I found another one and and re-welded the sections where the spare wheel cracks them...since I am going with bigger tyres
latest-camel-100-L.jpg
i installed a rear spare swing away tire mounting system that opens with the rear door...I modified a rear tyre carrier to allow me to mount the damping and tensioning piece to some where sturdy on the rear door..
latest-camel-083-L.jpg
latest-camel-086-L.jpg
latest-camel-095-L.jpg
latest-camel-097-L.jpg
latest-camel-098-L.jpg
so you finish up with something like this...without the excessive weight on the back door..
latest-camel-099-L.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I installed the mantec rear window guards but i also am waiting for a LED high mount brake light bar that fits under the window grate to arrive..i also have the side window grates coming..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Installed my terrafirma heavy duty front steering rods..should be well protected when i put my full width southdown protector plate on..waiting for the correct mantec front lower winch tray protector to arrive..
latest-camel-081-L.jpg
Also put the stronger terrafirma castor correcting rear lower control arms on..and my diff protector..
latest-camel-080-L.jpg

cgalpin

Observer
Shayne, I have some concerns about your light bar design. First, I think you should put in a vertical bar at the front of the rack where you cut it, to maintain some strength with the front hinged down, and put the brush cable mounts there instead of on the hinged portion. This will allow them to have decent tension and not make bolting the light bar on a PITA. Then I suggest some sort of clamping knob instead of a bolt, so you can deploy the tent without tools.

http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section8/

Best of luck on your trip,
charles

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Thanks for the input...the light bar is actually welded to the front rail bar...so when the bolts are undone the whole front bar assembly with the front rack rail all comes down at once... the bushacables are attatched at the section right next to the bolt hole so they are pulling on the rail that runs from front to back and therefore not on the pivoting section.. Its kinda hard to explain but I have tried to think of any scenario and to make it as sturdy as possible, as soon as I weld the hinges on I will post a pic and it all becomes clear...thanks for the idea of the knobs... the bolts I was using were just for mockup

diesel_jim

Looking good!

The UK isn't too bad at the moment.... slight frost here in Wiltshire this morning, some bad weather due this week up North (Scotland-ish) but nothing too bad.... certainly not like this time last year!

When you get over here, give me a shout if you want to stop by for a brew and spin some spanners on the 110.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Will be attending overland expo and then maybe heading up to Prudhoe bay alask...gotta cross the arctic circle off the bucket list...then head from west coast to east coast via the AL-CAN highway to get to shipping port for England..I anticipate being in Sunny England around end of July, should be lovely weather by then but careful what you ask for...I just may show up on your door steps with an empty beer mug in hand and a broken defender...:smiley_drive:

maxingout

Adventurer
Will be attending overland expo and then maybe heading up to Prudhoe bay alask...gotta cross the arctic circle off the bucket list...then head from west coast to east coast via the AL-CAN highway to get to shipping port for England..I anticipate being in Sunny England around end of July, should be lovely weather by then but careful what you ask for...I just may show up on your door steps with an empty beer mug in hand and a broken defender...:smiley_drive:

You have a lot of ground to cover before heading off for England. You will definitely be on turbo boost. You will give your Defender a good shake down cruise before you cross the big water. Probably a good idea to do discover any problems this side of the Atlantic. You might save yourself trouble down the road.

I look forward to reading your trip reports. I could use a little inspiration!

Maybe I will see you at Expo in Arizona.

tacr2man

Adventurer
If you need any assistance in Uk I am not far from Oxford :Mechanic::cool: , dont forget LR stuff is in abundance in UK so often may be cheaper :Wow1:

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
If you get past Jim heading into the Westcountry then give me a shout. Got a good parts place 4 miles down the road and some driveway space if you need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94