Prepping a camel trophy defender 110 for around the world...

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Looking nice !

are you not going to use gromets to protect the copper pipes ?

where they come through the sheet metal
on a couple of 100k's of gravel roads you be gettting a lot of wear on the pipes

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I have a thin wall plastic sleeve that goes around it and then marinetex sealer goes around that, stop vibrations and seals it off..I will be going through the whole floor and sealing as many holes as possible..thanks for the input..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I wanted to run dual batteries but needed them to be secured, rough roads can play havoc with batteries and the last thing I wanted was a battery shorting out on the body, I removed the factory battery tray and welded a angle iron securing strip within the base and made a securing plate to keep the batteries in their position..
photo1-L.jpg
latest-camel-107-L.jpg
latest-camel-106-L.jpg
latest-camel-109-L.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Finally found the correct superwinch for the camel...winch was in decent shape but someone had sanded and painted it different colours...I pulled it apart and the interior pieces were in great shape so I stripped all the paint off and ordered all the seals and gaskets as nec and found a colour pretty close and painted in prep for reassembly..
latest-camel-101-L.jpg
latest-camel-102-L.jpg
latest-camel-103-L.jpg
replaced the solenoids with heavy duty ones..
latest-camel-104-L.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
This shut off solenoid is set up on a switch in the tuffy box under the lockable top cover...in its normal position it switches off and on with the ignition but for added security I can switch the switch into the other position and no power will get to the solenoid...should allow the thief to get about 20 yards down the road before it dies in the middle of the road...I would have to believe that if someone steals a car and it dies in the middle of the road they are not going to spend any time trying to get it going again..
Installed a high mount LED brake light strip in the top of the rear window..this light is on when running lights are on and then when brakes applied gets even brighter..yet to make a blanking cover plate for the back of it...its secured to the cage so comes off easily...RTV installed so as to limit vibrations and rattles..
latest-camel-116-L.jpg
latest-camel-117-L.jpg
latest-camel-118-L.jpg
latest-camel-115-L.jpg
I figure if I can stop someone from running into the back of me that's one less problem I have to deal with in a foreign country.. Next I moved onto installing some additional power outlets and my fresh water pump quick disconnectors..with these connectors I can chage the hoses and pump into or out of my fresh water tanks or from a bucket for a nice warm shower or hosing down the truck etc...I have a couple of long hoses I can suck from a lake or other water source as well as run water supply to my engine heat exchanger for a stinking hot shower...these quick disconnects have shut off valves in the ends also..
latest-camel-120-L.jpg
The hole to the left of the power outlets is for my air hose to plug right into the air compressor fitting..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Also got around to wiring up my interiro lighting system...I am using 2 remote controlled LED strip light units...these were the perfect length to go right along the back inside of the vehicle, thay are remote controlled and if you wanted to can change the colours or have a strobe effect or colour fade effect.(very cheesy).. I really just installed it for the white interior light feature as its also dimmable, maybe good to have the yellow as its supposed to attract less bugs..
latest-camel-124-L.jpg
latest-camel-123-L.jpg
Doesnt show up very good in these pics as it has a flash...but using twin systems in the back with the LED strip lights really is plenty of light and very low power consumption...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I think its a mantec one..I bought it off a member...it has the plastic dampening slide tube to stop rattling...really nice bit of kit..

LR Max

Local Oaf
...it has the plastic dampening slide tube to stop rattling...

To stop rattling!!?? My god this is REVOLUTIONARY!!! Alright, I'm putting this on "the list". I like how you can open the rear door and the spare tire carrier isn't a separate gate.

Doesn't matter too much on the 5 door vehicles but is very handy on something like my 3 door 109. Especially when you are sleeping in the back!

Scott Brady

Founder
Does it have a manual override?

attachment.php

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Does it have a manual override?

attachment.php

No it doesn't and I was initially concerned with that as well.. but then I thought that would kinda defeat the purpose since I hid the wiring up inside the tuffy box lockable lid on a switch that is unmarked..(there will be so many switches on this thing it will be like flying a 747...but wayyy cooler..LOL..).. after the install the operation of it is quite audible..if you switch it off and on and you can hear the loud click...so as far as diagnosing a no start situation it should be pretty easy to rule it out..also it calls to be wired through a 3 amp fuse so I am sure the current draw is very minimal allowing it to continue in operation in the event of a poor charging system.. If I need to bypass it it will be an easy matter of just pulling off the 2 hoses and joining them..I left enough slack in the hose to allow that...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Got around to doing my rear door cooking table setup..first I cut and trimmed a sheet of aluminum diamond plate, this one is pretty thick to give better rigidty, i did one just before and it was too thin so I did it again.. Next i made a shelf as large as I could go with the constraints offered to me..It turns out to be 24" wide..12" deep.. I used the angle aluminium to give better rigidity but not sure if its necessary as without it I think it was strong enough, I also made a 5x14" shelf that goes above it...makes a good place to rest your beer or spices while cooking.. I just took 2 small lengths of the aluminium angle and pop riveted em to the checker plate and it sits in a supporting channel..as you can see it packs away nicely and I am not getting any rattling out of it when stowed away...
latest-camel-127-L.jpg
latest-camel-139-L.jpg
latest-camel-128-L.jpg
latest-camel-126-L.jpg
latest-camel-132-L.jpg
latest-camel-133-L.jpg
latest-camel-134-L.jpg
latest-camel-135-L.jpg
latest-camel-137-L.jpg
latest-camel-138-L.jpg
I used a patio sliding glass lock for the table stowage position....this keep a bit of tension on the system to avoid rattling and its spring loaded to sit on the open or locked position...can't wait to try it out...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles