Prepping a defender 130 for around the world..

DividingCreek

Explorer
Digging the RULE 500gph bilge pump in the battery box. That's some fairly forward thought. Did you just plumb it out through one of the battery box grommets ? or does it connect with your water storage tank ?:wings:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
That's not a bad idea Doug...need to fill the water tank, sure, no prob...just drive into the river and switch em on.....:). There is a total of 3 in the inside....that's 1500 gallons per hour... I hope to never need them..:)

The Rover Shop

Explorer
While I had the exhaust manifold off I had it drilled for the EGT sensor and they say you are recommend to machine out the webbing between the exhaust ports to stop cracking of the manifold.. We just drilled a hole close to the edge of the webbing and them cut a slit to the hole...the hole stops it from cracking and the slit should allow the manifold to expand/contract without twisting the manifold and cracking, we faced the manifold and it was over an 1/8" uneven..no wonder they crack..

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
You don't realize how much bigger the turbo is until it's I talled...looks like a monster..

image.jpg

Problem is that now the oil feed line for the turbo doesn't reach..have to have a new one made..:(

image.jpg

Ran around sat morning with no luck finding a hydraulic hose shop that does small diameter hose.. Hoping Monday morning will be better luck..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Moved onto installing the high breather kit..this relocates all of the Trans and diff breathers high to avoid sucking in water during water crossings.. The valve block itself is located between the cab and rear box at about 4ft high and then a common breather tube is about 7 ft high...if I suck water in through that I think I've got bigger problems..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Had some lengthened braided stainless steel plastic coated brake lines laying around so installed those also.. Bought wd-40 in bulk and coated the underbody of the truck to slow down the rusting process..... Will pressure wash it all off in a couple of weeks and probably then waxoyl the underbody .. I wanted the wd40 to penetrate into the rusty bolts etc before I waxoyl..

DividingCreek

Explorer
Shayne- I have to say that after nearly 5 decades with these trucks, yours is likely the best purpose built truck I have seen. I have climbed through "expedition/overland" built trucks and usually come away unimpressed. Your truck on the other hand after hours of going over how and why you have done what you've done with you left me with the "that's awesome" impression. I'm sure she will serve you well during your multi year circumnavigation. She seemed pretty nimble out on the beach this weekend. On the Dinitrol, Paddocks sells it and likely would ship it to the US.
Cheers and goodonya

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Thanks for that dougy boy.... Coming from you and knowing your background that's a serious compliment...and you tight assed scots don't usually give that up easily..:) I think Jonesy has a good video of the fat ole girl buried up to her axles in the sand though, but in her defense she did dig herself out relatively quickly, I aired down some more after that and did about 30 miles of beach driving and she performed magically after you guys left.. Pics coming soon..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
The "road" out to Portsmouth village..couple of spots 3-4 feet deep but mostly 2-3 feet.. Mostly firm bottom...No problem, no water ingress anywhere..this was all fresh water, but I probably would have done it even if it was not, as I said to someone a while ago, I built this truck for a good time...not a long time..

image.jpeg

The island was long and narrow..20 miles long and averages about 1/4 mile wide..only accessible by a 30-45 min ferry ride.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The "road" out to Portsmouth village..couple of spots 3-4 feet deep but mostly 2-3 feet.. Mostly firm bottom...No problem, no water ingress anywhere..this was all fresh water, but I probably would have done it even if it was not, as I said to someone a while ago, I built this truck for a good time...not a long time..

View attachment 351504

The island was long and narrow..20 miles long and averages about 1/4 mile wide..only accessible by a 30-45 min ferry ride.

View attachment 351505

View attachment 351506

************............when can we see the video of that fording crossing? How many miles and how long did that take to get there in the water?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz