Prepping a defender 130 for around the world..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Good..he can sell me his sliders..lol.. Actually Brewie is making a set of custom sliders with integrated roll cage mounts so I don't really need em anymore..:)

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So, been really busy at the shop trying to finish customer projects..(gotta pay the build expenses somehow..:)).. Trying to figure out what I will be installing in the overhead console so that I can run wiring etc..decided to make some speaker housings that fit into the top back corners of the roof..
image.jpg

image.jpg

Made a mock up from cardboard.. I will also install a pair of those eyeball spot lights that double as interior lights or a reading light into the bottom side of these..speakers will be attach from the rear and then covered with material. You won't even know they are there.. I will also run the speakers from the cb and ham radios through them as well

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Got the frame work for the side doors installed and the door itself made up..it's made out of 1" square 1/8 " sidewall tubing.. I went heavier rather than light so that I can install good quality security sliding locks through the hatch frame into the exterior frame. Outside frame was screwed through body into interior frame and all sealed with 5200... Hoping that should make it dust and water tight..
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Hatch doors will be attached at top with full width stainless piano hinge and covered with silicone sealing strips to mitigate water entry...and use gas struts to open the doors.. With double security locks.

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So the biggest area of the planning is the roof top tent I want to install that acts as a poptop box as well.. I found this South African tent called a bundutop.. It is electrically operated as opposed to the maggiolina so this allows us to deploy it from inside the vehicle in really nasty weather, as opposed to cranking a manual handle all the time..the exterior is also made of aluminium instead of fibreglass also..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7VOt4v5NhFk

I've gotta say, their customer service at Freedom campers is absolutely exceptional..bought and paid for and it was shipped the very next day..looking forward to getting it and moving onto the install..

Last edited:

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Hello,

I've been following along with your build and have a question about the roof top tent. Did you get it through Freedom Campers? Are they in Aus. and if you don't mind, what's the ball park cost?

I really like that tent.

Best Regards,

Ron

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Freedom campers is in Iowa.. And yes I bought it through them, they are a little pricey but I think they are better made than the autohome or magiolina units.. Plus I liked the electric lift and the awning... Best call them for pricing but I wanna say around $3k..it should be here in a couple of days and rest assured I will be playing with it..:) and reporting here.. Oh, speak to Rory or Jenn and tell em you saw it on young rovers build thread.. You might get a better price..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Okay, so the tent arrived the other day and of course I had to open it up straight away.. It really is a nice bit of equipment.. Much more spacious inside than I thought it was going to be, and raising the top at the push of a button is a luxury I am sure my wife will get used to..:).. Next came the problem of grafting the tent onto the top of the box.. I will be fabricating a 3 inch riser roof so that the front overhang of the tent clears the front cab. Leaving enough clearance for boxy flex and twist..through this riser will be the access into the tent itself. 3 panels will form the new floor of the tent, when using the box as "living" space they will stack on top of each other in the forward overhang section, giving us a space of about 3 feet wide by 4 feet long to move around.. When being used as sleeping arrangement the 2 forward sections remain in and the rearmost one hinges up so that you can simply climb up and then the trapdoor drops back down to make the complete bed floor... Access from the inside will only be used during nasty weather, during decent weather the outside ladder will still be used.. This arrangement also makes a very good wildlife photographing area due to the good visibility from all 4 sides, as well as lovely ventilation. I will be placing approx 120 watts of solar panels on the roof of the tent also, they say its fine for up to 20kgs..
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
This 3 inch riser also gives me a section to mount the side and rear awnings to but still keeping them tucked in and protected from damage from trees etc by the planned exocage ..

image.jpg

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Electric pop up tent? Hmmm... I am not calling you a glamper, but....

No, just kidding Shayne, that looks like a pretty cool piece of kit.

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Yeah, it was not my favourite part of the tent.. What really sold me on it was the awning all round... But I must admits.. Not having to manually crank that handle while it's pizzing down with rain, hail, sleet or snow....instead just hitting a button from inside the truck doooooes have its own appeal..lol.. I'd rather be a warm dry glamper than a soaking wet frozen camper..:)

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Yes I am, I have it coming..has been for 6 months now..:( also putting electric windows... It's not me being lazy, it's for the dog...honest..!!

newhue

Adventurer
Is the electric bit to put them up, cause I thought all Defender rear windows were self lowering.

Reactions: J!m

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Okay, so it's been a little slow on the build side but got forward motion going again... Had the framework for the tent platform designed and had it welded up..used 3" square tubing, probably a little bit of overkill as when it was done I could hardly lift the framework onto the roof.. But at least I won't have to worry about it not being strong enough to hold our weight..
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles