**Sold**Unimog U500 GXV Safari Extreme

Roverchef

Adventurer
This doesn't happen to be the U500 that fell over on its side is it? If so then it cleaned up really well. GLWS

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Pretty common on GXVs and other expensive RVs to have them owned by a Montana LLC to avoid sales tax on the purchase.

Yeah, I’m fully aware of that clever move....just don’t like it. You can afford a $400k rig but you’re going to risk getting nailed by your home state or the cops for going the Montana LLC route? Oh well, not my rig, not my decision.

But the last time I drove through Tennessee, it sure seemed to me like they could use every single vehicle registration dollar they could get for road and bridge maintenance there.

Anyhow, as to the new owner of this awesome rig, I just wouldn’t recommend following suit registration wise because other states—who’ve been losing out on these extra vehicle registration monies—in recent years have been cracking down on some of those Montana LLC vehicle registrations from non-Montana residents, and in one extreme case they’ve even charged an out of state registrant criminally with tax evasion.

Another example of the extreme is California....which wants all the money it can get from any and every potentially available source. There, the state Highway Patrol maintains a special website for people to use to report on their neighbors by reporting vehicles stored there that have Montana or other out-of-state plates. I find this hard to imagine, but I’ve read on some online RV Owner forums that other states are said to have inspectors occasionally checking out RV repair shops to search for vehicles with Montana plates. And some others reportedly even are checking RV storage lot for vehicles with Montana plates.

All I’m saying is, this kind of possible legal headache doesn’t seem worth the risk.

Last edited:

180out

bought mine in Texas from a PP. paid my tax in CA. i was fully prepared and i budgeted into the decision. it sucked but oh well. the look on the old gals face in the DMV when she figured out what i owed was priceless. she thought she had mathed it wrong.

These seem like Excellent answers to questions posed, interesting thread, I’m enjoying learning more about UNIMOGS than I ever thought I would. Well done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier