Prioritizing your build components (Looking for guidance)

SoCalJeff

First of all, Hello everyone! I've been a long time lurker and seldom poster mostly because I've been dreaming of owning an overland worthy vehicle. I have however been a long time adventure rider here in Southern California (I ride a 2015 BMW R120GSA).

So now down to the reason for my post. I recently (a week and a half ago) bought a 20118 Land Cruiser which has been a dream vehicle of mine for some time. I will be using it as my daily driver but plan to start outfitting it for overlaning immediately. My plan is to get a 2-3" suspension lift on it as well as a roof rack for the EEZI-AWN tent I already own. Bumpers will be further down the road because I like the look of the stock truck and don't plan to do much aggressive overlanding right off the bat.

My question(s) to you is this:

How did you prioritize your build when it came to buying accessories and parts? What would you suggest I do and in what order?

My initial plan is to buy the roofrack (I am strongly considering purchasing the Prinsu Roofrack for two reasons. 1. I need the lowest profile rack I can find mostly because of the number of parking structures I encounter here in Los Angeles and 2. it looks pretty ************.

Suspension: I could use opinions on OME vs. Icon and other brands. I am hoping to find a happy medium between smooth ride and performance.

Tires: I know virtually nothing about offroad tires. I am sure I can dive deep by searching the forums and I will but if you want to drop a suggestion, feel free.
Interior storage: Because I have two kids, a girlfriend, and a fulltime career and will be using the vehicle for everyday life, I don't know if a fully committed storage system with drawers and seat elimination are in my immediate future unless you know of a pretty modular system which is easy to remove, otherwise I'll be using something like Frontrunner's stackable storage boxes. (open to suggestions).

Refrigerators: I hope this doesn't open Pandoras Box but I am really in need of suggestions for a good 50 Qt fridge.

Everything else: What would you add to the priority list? A top 5 or top 10 items you would buy to start your overlanding life would be great!

Lessons learned? I am hoping to learn from your mistakes so to speak. So your guidance is truly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_4015.jpg
    IMG_4015.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 29

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I’d recommend making a spreadsheet listing cargo and mods and their weight when loaded. Add a column for estimated front and rear weight and total.

It all adds up quick, and will dictate which suspension to buy.

SoCalJeff

I’d recommend making a spreadsheet listing cargo and mods and their weight when loaded. Add a column for estimated front and rear weight and total.

It all adds up quick, and will dictate which suspension to buy.

Great point. A friend of mine suggested the same thing when we discussed front bumper and winch combos really throwing off the front end ride. I’m going to take the spreadsheet advice for sure. Thank you.

gentimmy

I keep bouncing between the Prinsu and front runner myself. Front runner is tried and true and I love how modular it is. That being said, the low profile of the Prinsu is advantageous for parking structures and I’d imagine less of an impact on resistance when driving.

Sliders will be next on my list after a rack but tires and suspension were first

Good luck

Keep the necessities in mind. Tires, Wheels if needed, and a proper lift kit. Just with my jeep, upgrading and upgrading components took its toll. Would’ve saved me to just invest in the nice stuff I know I’d stick with first, but have learned a lot about my vehicles platform through that.

Also, as a fridge goes I just bought a 30quart drawer fridge from dometic. Looks great for a medium one that is less bulky, if you’re set on size both the dometic and arb are nice, but imo the top-opening ones are a little bulky in most setups. Being that your rover may have a bit better value on parts, balance what you can sell your oem parts for and it’s way help offset expenses.

rtaylor

Observer
Congrats on the LC. Use your truck for a while until you can feel what you need. They are very capable in stock form. Don’t follow what’s cool or good on the internet just for the sake of doing modifications.

Based on what you’ve provided, you’d be set for a long while with 285 BFG AT KO2s, OEM front spacer, prinsu rack and some plastic storage containers.

Search here for more on fridges, storage, tires. Ih8mud is great for 200-specific LC talk.

4Beast

Observer
I'd start with the biggest AT tires you can get to fit (there are dozens of good choices from BFG KO2s, to Toyo Open Country or Falken Wildpeak AT3W etc). Sliders definitely provide a little security from expensive body repairs. As someone else mentioned, calculate the weight of what you are going to add before ordering suspension parts. As far as the fridge, look around for sales, Engel ran a good one last year, and Dometics are basically as good as ARB without the cost and Whytner/Edgestar are more economical and are about as reliable, but may use a bit more electricity. I wouldn't go below 50qt though, space goes really fast.

mph

Expedition Leader
A nice set of tires and suspension will take you to many wonderful places. I have used ARB and ICON on my most recent builds. The ICON suspension is unbelievably smooth and adjustable. Also, rebuildable...I have used the standard OME-ARB lifts and have had a great success as well. Super reliable and effective. Which one rides better? The ICON by far. But, would I buy ARB? Sure...All depends on your budget as well:) Enjoy our build!

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Go with some LT rated tires (285/70-17) are a popular size with the 200 series. Next fill up the tank and the rest will come naturally as you discovery your personal needs. Everyone's needs are different so anyone claiming you need 'this' I would move on.
You need to ask yourself the following when ever you feel you need something and how it works for the following-
Where you plan to travel
The kind of travel
The climate you will be traveling
Your personal needs

As for vehicle needs I use the baseball theory - After I have a problem after 3 times I address it. Otherwise you are buying all kinds of stuff that you will rarely use.

SoCalJeff

Go with some LT rated tires (285/70-17) are a popular size with the 200 series. Next fill up the tank and the rest will come naturally as you discovery your personal needs. Everyone's needs are different so anyone claiming you need 'this' I would move on.
You need to ask yourself the following when ever you feel you need something and how it works for the following-
Where you plan to travel
The kind of travel
The climate you will be traveling
Your personal needs

As for vehicle needs I use the baseball theory - After I have a problem after 3 times I address it. Otherwise you are buying all kinds of stuff that you will rarely use.

Thank you Phil. Great insight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94