Pro-Rig V2.0 - Home Built Compact Composite Pop-up

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Got the windows in.

Slid right in and all the screw holes lined up perfect. Expensive little buggers (Seitz/Dometic) but easy install, built in screen and shade and double pane. Happy with them.

Next step was to get the roof up and on.

Looks a little space shippy :)

Hinges installed and, pup up pops up!

Got the solar wired up while I was at it.

Used a Blue Sea clam thing for the wires passing through the roof. May get another one of those to finish off the inside.

Next up is door and gas springs for the pop up I think. The todo list is getting shorter...

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Few more updates...

Confirmed that I can still get the slide-up to slide up with the extra weight of the roof on there. Required getting inside and using a bit of muscle, but it's up.

Lifters still holding it in the up position. Good!

Upper and lower door halves installed.

Still need to get the gas struts on and some other details. Seems like it will all work though. Good!

Got the rear anchors in. The outside view:

Inside there is 1/2" plywood with 1/4" aluminum plate to distribute the load. Drivers side should be nice and strong with all the cabinetry glassed in around it.

Passenger side isn't boxed in as much.

Yikes, need to do some cleaning in there soon!

Got the struts in for the pop-up. They are way too strong (85lb of force). Bending brackets and causing too much flex in the camper walls when I tried to close it. I don't get these gas struts at all :mad: Ordered up some 40lb struts and will hope for better results. Fingers crossed...

matt

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Lots of progress to catch up on but not enough time in the day lately.

Big news today worth sharing, Pro-Rig meets Greystoke (yes, we give cheesy names to our vehicles too :sombrero:)

Interior is almost done. Pics to follow.

Nine days and counting until departure...

matt

Billhilly

Adventurer
Looks great Coyote! I may have to steal a couple of ideas.
I've been (silently) watching along. Couple of quick questions. The lifters you are using (if I'm interpreting properly) give spring assisted lift right? How do you get on 'pulling' the roof back down again? A matter of getting the springs/load right? I'm planning something similar for my longbox GMC. The other question was did you consider hinging the roof section along the long side? What was the thought process in what you've built? Looking forward to the next lot of pictures.

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Looks great Coyote! I may have to steal a couple of ideas.
I've been (silently) watching along. Couple of quick questions. The lifters you are using (if I'm interpreting properly) give spring assisted lift right? How do you get on 'pulling' the roof back down again? A matter of getting the springs/load right? I'm planning something similar for my longbox GMC. The other question was did you consider hinging the roof section along the long side? What was the thought process in what you've built? Looking forward to the next lot of pictures.

Yes, the lifters for the slide-up are spring assisted. When they are fully collapsed they have essentially zero lift. Upward force kicks in pretty quick though as the lift begins. To start the slide-up moving, I get inside and do a squat basically, pushing up on the roof. First couple inches takes some grunt then it goes up easy. At the upper limit it holds it all up on its own.

If I was to design it again, I would make it so that the lifters didn't collapse all the way when in the down position (easier to start the lift). Also, at full extension there is no tension on the springs so not much lifting force. With these lifters, it seems best to ignore the first and last three inches or so of the travel. Hope that made sense.

Getting it down is pretty easy with two people on opposite corners. Once it gets moving it comes down under its own power in a pretty controlled drop. With one person, I've found it's easiest to pull down from inside, working carefully to keep it fairly even. Definitely smoother with two people though.

I'm really happy with the amount of lifting force for the weight of this build. But to be honest, it was pretty much dumb luck that it worked out just about right.

Yes, I did strongly consider hinging on the side. That approach would be better for sleeping headroom. It would have needed to hinge too far open though to give enough headroom for walking down the center aisle. This way, it doesn't need to pop up as high overall since the very front is cabinet/bed and doesn't need to have stand-up headroom. Made sense to put the lowest part of the roof there.

More pictures to come!

matt

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Been busy. Too busy for regular updating here. I will catch up on the details eventually.

Interior is almost done. Propane system is all working (stove and heater) and leak-free.

Water heater works but not getting more than a dribble out of the thermostatic mixer. Ordered a replacement mixer. Fingers crossed. Otherwise water system works and no leaks.

Talked to a couple marine sewing places regarding the pop up canvas. Got a quote of $500 and a one month turnaround. So, after talking through the options, we decided to "sew our own".

Went with 10oz cotton duck canvas. Went back and forth on weather to go to the trouble of making a window, given the short timeline. In the end we did. Make the cut!

After a few hours of sewing, voila! Screen with canvas flap and Velcro is in.

Had a theory of how to get a clean installation. In the end, we crossed our fingers and went for it.

Good to have a talented helper on this.

Very happy with the way it turned out.

Been tweaking the solar charging and I've got it dialed in. Wiring to starting battery finished today. Will start testing charging off the alternator tomorrow. If you're till watching Anton, I will update the details soon!

matt

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Is there anything you guys can't do!? That looks amazing, very impressive to have such a tight fit. Assume its water proof? Does it drain into a gutter of some sort when it gets wet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior