Project “Polar Bear”: 1989 V2500 Suburban

Buckallred

Also: can you give more details about the Xenon fender flares vs. the warn 4xFlares? I am about to put a set on my 89 burb, would like to make a good choice. Thanks as always!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Hi Larry:

Any advice where I can get the junctions you used in post #280? Thanks for all the awesome help.

Those junction blocks can be found on every 73-87 GM truck and van in the world. Very easy to find and they are inexpensive

Also: can you give more details about the Xenon fender flares vs. the warn 4xFlares? I am about to put a set on my 89 burb, would like to make a good choice. Thanks as always!

The Warn 4xFlares are discontinued for this body style truck and suv so that makes the decision pretty easy. Lol

I will say the Warns are easier to install but the Xenons are higher quality

trav2210

Larry,

I, like many others, have been following what you've done with this suburban as its a great inspiration. I'm currently getting setup for my 8.1 swap. You seem to be all over the internet. I read a post of yours on another forum and got to looking at you 14 BFF swap (Post #113) and wondered which rear springs you were using. Looks like you've done some work on them.

Are they originally stock springs with the shackle flip?

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry,

I, like many others, have been following what you've done with this suburban as its a great inspiration. I'm currently getting setup for my 8.1 swap. You seem to be all over the internet. I read a post of yours on another forum and got to looking at you 14 BFF swap (Post #113) and wondered which rear springs you were using. Looks like you've done some work on them.

Are they originally stock springs with the shackle flip?

Hello, welcome to Expo!

Glad to be in inspiration! The springs on this Suburban are the stock springs. The only thing to the rear that was done was installing the ORD rear shackle flip and installing a set of DIY4x axle degree shims (not pictured in post #113).

Along the lines of a 10.5” 14 FF swap, many people go straight to a K30 for a donor rear axle. You may already be aware that a K30 (1 ton rear axle) requires the spring perches to be relocated when installing into a ½ ton or ¾ ton truck/K5 or Suburban. However, if you source a 14FF from a 73-80 C or K20 (or 2wd Suburban all the way up to 1991 with a 7.4L or 6.2L diesel) it will be the same rear axle but with the spring perches in the correct location albeit many of the 73-80 14FF have 11” drums opposed to the larger 13” drums. That said, using a 1 ton rear axle is not always the best donor. Many people also feel the need to spend money on a rear disk swap, I prefer 13” drums over rear disks any day of the week. I removed the smaller 11” drums from the 14FF on my K10 and Suburban and retrofitted the larger 13” drums. With hydroboost and 13” drums & DRW wheel cylinders….they STOP on a dime!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Yeah, we did Kelly Point, Mt Trumball, and Toroweep then some Southern Utah roaming in the Grand Staircase. I’ll do a trip report when I get more time. We had a blast and the trucks did great!

Geeze, looking through this thread it looks as though I never updated it with the link to the 2016 Desert Trip trip report. Link HERE to the trip report.

And a few recent pics. We took the ole Polar Bear on a family camping weekend to a lake about 3 hours away a couple weeks after returning from the Desert. Fun times.

31069603920_225516a7e5_c.jpg

31069645440_68209cd2a8_c.jpg

31403070276_1bfc6e392d_c.jpg

mizedog

Observer
Geeze, looking through this thread it looks as though I never updated it with the link to the 2016 Desert Trip trip report. Link HERE to the trip report.

And a few recent pics. We took the ole Polar Bear on a family camping weekend to a lake about 3 hours away a couple weeks after returning from the Desert. Fun times.

31069603920_225516a7e5_c.jpg

31069645440_68209cd2a8_c.jpg

31403070276_1bfc6e392d_c.jpg
Do you mind sharing what lake that is? Kind of reminds me of Manitou Lake near Woodland Park, but I don't think there is camping there. Too many trees for it to be Eleven Mile, I think. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Do you mind sharing what lake that is? Kind of reminds me of Manitou Lake near Woodland Park, but I don't think there is camping there. Too many trees for it to be Eleven Mile, I think. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

That lake was a private lake called Wellington up near Deckers. The fishing is terrible, people that run the place are rude but it is a nice place to take the family as it is low key with lots of ducks for the little one to feed. It is all catch and release but even at that, I didn’t have a bite or even see a fish all weekend. Certainly, not a place I would go with the boys for a fishing weekend.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow:Wow1: Larry it seems like years since I last posted anything on your thread. The polar bear is looking awesome as usual. Incredible how your child has grown and you can take her on trips now. That must be a great feeling to have her along. Thanks for posting the pics from your trip. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Last edited:

garagemonkee

2 month bump from a new guy who registered on the site because of this build, and bought an 87 3/4-ton partially because of this build.

There's a ton of invaluable information in this thread, and I appreciate taking the time to document things for those of us coming behind you.

Thanks, mate.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
2 month bump from a new guy who registered on the site because of this build, and bought an 87 3/4-ton partially because of this build.

There's a ton of invaluable information in this thread, and I appreciate taking the time to document things for those of us coming behind you.

Thanks, mate.

Thanks and welcome to Expo! Good luck with your new project

I had one a 3/4 ton with the 350 cid it was a beast better truck I ever drove in a blizzard. And those captain chairs wow. Yes you got an awesome rig there

1970SS8.1

I've been reading this post for a while now and love the info. I love the 8.1 platform and have learned a lot from you. Right now I am in the process of installing a heavily modified 8.1 in my 1970 Chevelle SS. And swapping one into my 1958 Apache 1ton dually. Once I figure out how to post pics I will post some. Thanks for the great build info.

colierar

Observer
Man Larry, you should get some sort of prize for making all of these first time posters sign up just so they can post on your threads. :) I guess it just goes to show how cool your rigs are and how many people still like older trucks(really I just mean Chevys). Great stuff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior