Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Pulled the timing chain cover off the 223. The chain has some slack, so I better change it now. As soon as I get the blast cabinet fixed, I'll finish getting the red paint off. I wish I could let you hold this part. It's 1/2 inch thick cast iron and weighs over 10 lbs. :D

IMAG0612.jpg

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Papa, this is a good project. You've made a lot of interesting choices. I had a couple land cruisers back in the day: Who knew they would be worth anything 40 years ago?
1966 FJ-40, stock everything including a factory Toyota PTO winch. It had such a low max pull that I drilled out the shear pin hole about double size and had no problem pulling anything after that. This is June 1968:

replaced by a 1970 FJ-55 with a 3 inch lift, A.C. power steering, winch, Power lok rr diff, 53 gallon gas tank and Hone 30% O.D. We replaced the anemic six with a Chevy 307 V-8. Good family camping car. Owned this 14 years and drove it into the ground over 185K grueling miles: One trip involved going up Black Bear Pass the 'up' direction about 1974 after the addition of the V-8 and with the family of 4. I still had the 4.11 pigs and 3-speed, floor mounted shifter because Advance Adapters who was in my then current town of Downey told me a GM 465 trannie was just too low for the rig. Too Low? I got most of the way up when we hit the steepest, rocky part at about 11K feet where my Rochester 4-barrel was useless and with the stupid pedal on the floor the rig slowed to a stop, slipping slowly backwards with all wheels locked up, where upon I had both feet on the brake pedal screaming for the fam to exit said rig, pronto. Eventually, in dribs and drabs I got turned around and heading back down the switchbacks.

The moral to the story is we got very little for the remains when we sold.
jefe

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I don't know why, but I've always loved the FJ-55. Maybe because it doesn't look like anything else.

I agree on FJ-55's. Love the look, too bad they seemed to come off of the boat already rusting; which is saying something for vehicles in Northern Nevada. We don't normally see rust on vehicles.

Jack

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Yep, even in CA the rocker panels; roof drip edge welds and sundry fender attachments all started to go south with rust the minute I bought it. After a couple years we replaced both rocker panel with braised in diamond plates which appear flat in the photo. After a while, Bondo was the only thing holding them together and they are now very rare. It was a one year old lease car with 11K miles and I picked it up for $2200. I owned this 14 long, family-growing years and finally replaced it with a used, bright yellow 1980, 118 inch WB, IHC Scout Traveller which was the only year with a factory installed Nissan 3.3L, I-6 turbo diesel and T-19 close ratio 4 speed/ Dana 300 Texas pattern transfer case. At 950 pounds this engine was a complete boat anchor delivering 101 neck snapping HP but with a 23.5:1 compression ratio had gobs of torque all the way down to zip and would just keep clacking away, no matter what. The main application for the Nissan I-6 TD was as a boat engine. Fully loaded it would get 22 mpg on the road and with Track Locs and the SOA I did on it had the clearance to creep up the steepest hills and over the largest pile of rocks. It went over the Rubicon many times including the Little and True Sluices. jefe This is south of Puertocitos on the gulf side of Baja with 78 gallons of gas and 3 spare tires. We had 7 flats this trip.

Central Baja near Catavina with a large Cardon and Boojims in the background. Those tires were great big 11.00x15 Armstrong True Tracks on 8 inch rims.

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
That's some cool history. My last and only inline 6 was the 258 in my CJ7. I loved the torque from that thing. We used to go wheeling in the Santa Cruz mountains or Hollister almost every weekend. Rock crawling with big tires and no lift way back in the 80's. We were ahead of the times.

cj7mi.jpg

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Yep, even in CA the rocker panels; roof drip edge welds and sundry fender attachments all started to go south with rust the minute I bought it. After a couple years we replaced both rocker panel with braised in diamond plates which appear flat in the photo. After a while, Bondo was the only thing holding them together and they are now very rare. It was a one year old lease car with 11K miles and I picked it up for $2200. I owned this 14 long, family-growing years and finally replaced it with a used, bright yellow 1980, 118 inch WB, IHC Scout Traveller which was the only year with a factory installed Nissan 3.3L, I-6 turbo diesel and T-19 close ratio 4 speed/ Dana 300 Texas pattern transfer case. At 950 pounds this engine was a complete boat anchor delivering 101 neck snapping HP but with a 23.5:1 compression ratio had gobs of torque all the way down to zip and would just keep clacking away, no matter what. The main application for the Nissan I-6 TD was as a boat engine. Fully loaded it would get 22 mpg on the road and with Track Locs and the SOA I did on it had the clearance to creep up the steepest hills and over the largest pile of rocks. It went over the Rubicon many times including the Little and True Sluices. jefe This is south of Puertocitos on the gulf side of Baja with 78 gallons of gas and 3 spare tires. We had 7 flats this trip.

Central Baja near Catavina with a large Cardon and Boojims in the background. Those tires were great big 11.00x15 Armstrong True Tracks on 8 inch rims.

Pretty much describes every 55 I looked at. I had a couple of 80 series LC's and really wanted a 55, but just couldn't find a decent body to start with.

Seven flats! Tires have really come a long way; when you have several threads across the forums discussing whether or not to even carry a spare. Had several friends with Scout II's, both with 345's one auto, one t-19. And they both got horrible mileage, so the low power of the SD would have been tolerable with that kind of mileage.

That's some cool history. My last and only inline 6 was the 258 in my CJ7. I loved the torque from that thing. We used to go wheeling in the Santa Cruz mountains or Hollister almost every weekend. Rock crawling with big tires and no lift way back in the 80's. We were ahead of the times.

View attachment 456058

Sweet CJ-7. I had a '90 Wrangler, which was the last year for the 258. Loved the torque, hated the carburetor. I converted it to the Howell FI and that thing would lug down to 300rpm and keep pulling, of course it ran out of steam at 3k... I used to joke that it had one speed up hills, didn't matter whether it was empty, loaded, or towing, it would do the same speed.

Jack

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Seems we have a trio of gearheads with similar backgrounds with Jeeps and trails trod. My last hard core Jeep was an '82 CJ-8 with lots of stuff. If you'll indulge me in the specs, here is what I spent 2 decades building up.
Jefe's Scrambler as of 01/15. Sold: May 2015. Start with the pristine, stock version: but it digresses from there.

1982 Jeep CJ-8, desert sand and Nutmeg, by now all rattle can Sand. AGR power steering box and pump, MORE 1-1/2” forward steering box brackets, Chevy power discs front and Cadillac disc rear, removable 10 watt CB, Full Kayline Nutmeg soft top and full soft doors, (not made in nutmeg any more) windjammer, 1/2 doors and tired bikini top, custom soft cab top, beat up custom rear tonneau cover, fold down rear seat. Rear, swing away tire rack with MT. bike fork clamps. The front half of the frame has been 3 side plated and gusseted.
ENGINE: built for torque. Peak torque: 1400 rpm. Pulls down to 300 rpm with stepper motor disabled. 4.2L I-6 block and crank, with .060” overbore pistons and rings, making it a 4.4L.
4.0L, High Output head with Mopar MPI fuel injection, Hesco adjustable fuel regulator with gage. H-264-14 cam (.470” lift) and Cloyes double roller timing gears and chains advanced 4 degrees, High Volume oil pump,
stock ‘95 XJ exhaust header, 2.5” aluminized tubing, cat and throaty 12” glass pack. Hand throttle, MORE engine mounts. 2-5/8” AutoMeter gauges (0-4K tach, oil, temp, Volt, Vacuum)
DRIVETRAIN: NP-435 (6.69.3.34/1.66/1.00/8.26) Adapter by Advance clocked Dana 300 w/ 5 gear TeraLow 4:1 gears, and Currie twin sticks, Sacramento drivetrain drive shafts w/ extra long splines and U-bolt style U-joints, 6 bolt SuperWinch hubs, (plus a spare set) u-bolt style u-joints, 130:1 crawl, Dana 44, 30 spline front, w/ARB air locker, Warn 4330 ChroMoly shafts, custom made ChroMoly steering-over rods with 1 ton TRE’s, Parts Mike steering-over knuckles, CTM bushing outer U-joints, 4.88:1 Dana 60, 35 spline rear w/ARB air locker, Mosier H.D. shafts, 4.88:1. 4XDoctor pig cages
SUSPENSION: Springs-Over-Axle w/ 6 leaf RE SOA 2-1/2” lift springs with front reverse shackles.. Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. H.D. shackles. Extra long S.S. brake hoses.
OFF-ROAD OUTFITTING: Fenders trimmed to clear 36-13.50-15 Super Swamper IROC’s on Rock Crawler 10” wheels, and 37-13.50-16 TCL ProComp XTerrains on 8” wheels
Extra wide front rubber fender lips. Tired rear fender lips to keep the CHP off your case. Currie steering brace and welded/over boxed front frame horns, Radiator saver. Stubby 'rockhugger' front bumper, Ford Mutt recovery “D” rings. roll cage, Wrecking Ball Proof custom rocker panels, "Off-Your-Rocker" steel rear diamond plate quarter panels, 24 gal. steel tank and steel skid plate with exterior fuel pump and filters. You’ll never have to carry fuel cans. On board Premier Power welder (180 amp alternator). Class III hidden receiver hitch/ pintel Warn #8274 Winch (aka: fastest winch in the west)
jefe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz