• Hate it?

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Can't quite get ya head around it...

Votes: 42 22.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dport

Adventurer
Keep the wheelchair lift, it'll be great for loading the kegs up. And for loading yourself up after you've enjoyed the keg and have fallen out of the rig. :wings::wings:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Rust sucks and you will have to pull that glass. Once past the trim it's not that hard. You are at a point to really strip it down and build it super nice or to just fix it up and set it up for good camping. I'd just stop the rust and fix it up. We have an E350 extended 4x4 that I started to build up nice inside. I found that after just having basics like electric,water,a sink and ventalation it was all I used. I don't hang out in the van when camping and having open space lets me use the van for other things. Did sombody remove the drive shaft to get better gas milage? Did you find the shaft? That may be all it needs. I'd keep that lift after you remove it from the door. It will bring good bucks on craigslist but you could make a cool motorcycle lift for the back of the van. You may even use it to power that roof but as long as that van is the roof may be an important part of the structure. Good luck and nice find!

Keyblazer

Adventurer
Yeah, good points.
The driveshaft was removed for a while, and it was rebuilt, but now its back on.
I hear thet it damages the T-Case if its out for a long time..
The motorcycle idea is a good one, but not sure what its rated at.
I will fix the rust, and have the skills, but its not a priority yet.
I agree with the statement about not spending time in the Van...
I am 6'4" so headroom is an issue, but the idea of having that space for the GF and dogs to move around in while traveling is great... The truck camper sucked in that area.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Use google sketch up for a cad program it is free and user friendly just down load it from google and start using it. It is great for doing van lay outs. Also you can probably by an atlas t-case with the second rear drive shaft out put. You will have to talk to them but I am sure most any case with that cap on the rear can be made into a out put with out to much work. You may have to off set the rear diff to one side or just limit the up trave of the front diff and the down travel of the rear axle.

r_w

Adventurer
Is that a Good "Wow" or.....

Good Wow.

And a "Wow, this would so epic (both in time and money) that it would cause me a huge obsession leading to probable divorce and HAVING to full-time in it."

Glad you are a better man than me.

chet

island Explorer
wow this thing is very cool. Even better if it can be made 6x6 easy!

One word, where you are planning on putting your fridge will not work as it needs venting to the outside

r_w

Adventurer
And there are lots of options for driving the rear axle. You probably need a good CV high-angle style stubshaft off the rear axle, but other than that you have options either at the T-case or the first axle. Most do it at the first axle because there isn't room in the tunnel for 2 shafts with suspension travel.

I would fully airbag the rear axle with dump valves so you and unload for tight corners and parking lots.

Steel Walrus

I AM IN LOVE. Wait no maybe lust........ nope full blown love. Man, I love interesting vehicles, and this one takes the cake. I will follow this build. I just wish you were closer so I could come over and help

T.Low

Expedition Leader
SWEEEET BABY JEZUS!!

i wanna see inside!!!!!!!!!!:Wow1:

Wow. It definitely rates a "wow"...and it's way cool...but beyond that, I'm not sure what to think.

My first impression is that I would prefer more motorhome-like headroom, if it's main purpose is to hang out at the beach. Like Derick said, make that top pop:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23254

The Astro GT pop top camper has a shower that uses a curtain to cover the extended headroom area of the shower stall once the top is up. You can google image search it, I know i've seen it.

Of course, you must mean to hang out at the beaches in Baja.:sombrero: That could really be a cool southwest roamer.

westyss

Explorer
combo-780321.jpg

great find and very unique, where did you find the combo toilet /shower? I am looking for something like that.:elkgrin:

kerry

Expedition Leader
Holy mother of God! What a vehicle.
The grey tank is repairable using SuperMend epoxy. Add glass over the crack.

Keyblazer

Adventurer
Chet:
I knew it needs a vent, but what if I put a vent in the floor at the back, or that plus a vent pipe to the wall?

Westyss,
I found that pic here... Liked the compact style, but dont know who makes it yet...
http://rvtravel.com/blog/rvnow/labels/Bathroom.html

Kerry,
It will be way too small for use with the shower I have planned, so will trash it..
Need a bigger one!

Last edited:

Keyblazer

Adventurer
Pics and questions...

Heating is via 2 of these... Propane powered I assume... are they any good/safe or shall I find another way?
DSC05759.jpg

Burner unit is a mess, but maybe it would clean up?
DSC05758.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94