Project "Danger Ranger"

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
With the wheel spacers did you have to trim anything? I've been thinking about getting some 1.5" for the rear to match the extra track width the lift spindles gave me up front

livetoride21

Adventurer
With the wheel spacers did you have to trim anything? I've been thinking about getting some 1.5" for the rear to match the extra track width the lift spindles gave me up front

Hey, sorry I haven't been around for a while as I've been working on my garage now that the weather's nicer! I didn't have-to trim anything yet, but i did knock in the mudflaps a little as I had a small amount of rubbing while steering. My spacers are 1.25" and I figure once I flex it out the back will most likely rub the fender flares. the plan is a small body lift to help fix this problem.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I like your skid plate efforts and apparent productivity. I've got a lot of ideas and some sketches, but no progress for a while. But I'd like to ask if you had any means of bending any of that material, or did you accomplish all the turned edges via welded facets? And any estimate of many pounds you added to your undercarriage?

Id very much like to armor the underside of my Suburban, my usual stomping grounds are SoCal high deserts and dry stream beds. Lots of boulder fields and sage. I very much want to craft a front / chin plate such as yours and run plates under my gas tank and transmission. I keep looking at the medium sized press breaks at Harbor Freight, thinking I can do some basic bends to help my plates stand proud of the main frame a bit. But I've also contemplated just using something like 1" spacers and cap-head allen bolts / rivnuts as my mounting method, to simplify the plate design, flat is fine with me. But I think I still want to have the edges turned up somehow.

hitchwork17_zpsokfncoem.jpg

livetoride21

Adventurer
I like your skid plate efforts and apparent productivity. I've got a lot of ideas and some sketches, but no progress for a while. But I'd like to ask if you had any means of bending any of that material, or did you accomplish all the turned edges via welded facets? And any estimate of many pounds you added to your undercarriage?

Id very much like to armor the underside of my Suburban, my usual stomping grounds are SoCal high deserts and dry stream beds. Lots of boulder fields and sage. I very much want to craft a front / chin plate such as yours and run plates under my gas tank and transmission. I keep looking at the medium sized press breaks at Harbor Freight, thinking I can do some basic bends to help my plates stand proud of the main frame a bit. But I've also contemplated just using something like 1" spacers and cap-head allen bolts / rivnuts as my mounting method, to simplify the plate design, flat is fine with me. But I think I still want to have the edges turned up somehow.

Thanks for reading! I actually do not have access to a bender. long long ago I did, but not now. All the angles were accomplished in 2 manners ;
The first way, was to make a slice roughly 1/2 way through the material along the bend line than with two c clamps I bend it to the angle I desired and welded the slice.
This works very well, and leaves a very nice finish.
The second way was to cut out the pieces needed and weld in place. This is only necessary for filler pieces and complicated bends.
Keep in mind, if there are no filler pieces, you will lose a lot of strength. The more angles, the stronger things will be. All my skid plates are 1/8",
and all the welding was completed with a lincoln 220V stick welder, and a lincoln 220V migpak running fluxcore.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the reply / info, I don't think I would have thought to cut halfway through, I like that idea.
I'd looked at the larger bending break from Harbor Freight and it wasn't big enough and the next size up just blows my limited budget.
I'd like to do a shallow bend all around the periphery of my plates, a double bend really, so the edges of the plates bolt right to the vehicle frame and the body of the plate hangs down 1/2"-1"

livetoride21

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply / info, I don't think I would have thought to cut halfway through, I like that idea.
I'd looked at the larger bending break from Harbor Freight and it wasn't big enough and the next size up just blows my limited budget.
I'd like to do a shallow bend all around the periphery of my plates, a double bend really, so the edges of the plates bolt right to the vehicle frame and the body of the plate hangs down 1/2"-1"

Thin cut-off wheels and an angle grinder are you're friend! It's really fairly easy to do this kind of work, it can just be time consuming. I look forward to seeing your plates!

livetoride21

Adventurer
So I'm finally back at it!
I've been working on my garage the past few weeks now that it's nice out, but now I'm on pause waiting for some scaffolding.

Time to work on the truck again! :D About a month and a half ago I at last was legally allowed my summer tires back on , so I Finally painted my wheels black and got them back on.

So much nicer! And drives so much better.
I also bought myself a new toy for other expeditions :D a
2009 Suzuki DL1000

Anyways back to the truck,
So tonight I did some work on my front locking differential scheme. She works :D
Modified the military surplus push-pull cable I had bought, as well as modified the vacuum actuator housing/forks to work by cable.

Tomorrow plans are to get the front differential installed and the cable installed in the cab. I also picked up an add-a-leaf, so I'm planning on installing that tomorrow as well. While I'm pulling things apart I'm going to change my ball joints and maybe U-Joints depending on what shape they're in.

In the coming weeks, I will be installing my 1" body lift, building my rock sliders, and finalizing my gas tank skid plate. I also plan to get my flip down table mounted, have some 3/4" honeycomb aluminium panelling from work to serve this purpose. Stay tuned!

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Looks really great with the summer tires on! Maybe it's just camera angles but in some of your past pics it looks like your cap comes pretty close to touching your garage door, hopefully it all clears with the aal and if you do the 1" body lift

livetoride21

Adventurer
Looks really great with the summer tires on! Maybe it's just camera angles but in some of your past pics it looks like your cap comes pretty close to touching your garage door, hopefully it all clears with the aal and if you do the 1" body lift

Good Eye, it is in fact quite close. I have around 4" to spare though when the door is in it's full up position, so another 2" won't hurt. I just have-to be careful in the winter when snow is under the tires, and always go in nose first.
And thanks for the compliments!

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
I guess that'll work then! I love my non rise cap for that reason, once i do the explorer leaf spring swap and a roof basket I'll have to start watching out for myself

livetoride21

Adventurer
I guess that'll work then! I love my non rise cap for that reason, once i do the explorer leaf spring swap and a roof basket I'll have to start watching out for myself

Yeah, I guess it's the price we pay for headroom. When I first put in my garage door, I couldn't get the truck in without having someone hold the door up as I didn't have an electric garage door opener.
Now I have it adjusted so it goes all the way up.

livetoride21

Adventurer
Well , got a good amount done this weekend.
Front locking differential - IN

New Heavy-Duty Balljoints - IN

Add-A-Leaf kit -IN
Extra mud on truck - CHECK

I'm pretty happy with what I was able to get done. The add-a-leaf kit (pro-comp short) lifted the rear of the truck by around 3", which was a little too much for me with my long shackles. Luckily my shackles have a second mounting position
So I was able to get in the 2" lift range I was hoping for. The ride is much firmer now, I found it a little too bouncy with the extended shackles and stock leaves with the added weight of my tire/bumper on the rear.
now I find it rides great, I'd imagine with a stock length shackle however, that it would be a little too harsh.
The front locker works great, and is pretty stealthy with the only obvious thing being the handle on the cab floor.

Hoping this weekend I'll be able to get my 1" body lift done, if not it will come soon. Also planning on getting my flip down table mounted, and repainting the bumpers.
Stay tuned!
Looking forward to getting into some decent trails to test her out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior