Project "Full Restoration" 1983 Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel 4x4

About 5 months ago I received a call from a good friend. He asked me if I knew any one that would be interested in purchasing his near fully restored 1983 Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel 4x4. He needs to make room for two other Mitsubishi Diesels he is planning to restore this winter. To his surprise I told him I was interested even though I have the highly modified 1985 Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel. The truck is located in SoCal but over the past 4 years I have helped with some of the restoration, but ultimately he has done most of the restoration on this classic.

He said it was still in need of a few items to complete the restoration. It needed an engine, rear bumper, and a few other odds and ends like AC and wheels and tires. In July I ordered a brand new 2.5L Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel Crate Motor and had it imported. After several months of waiting the engine finally arrived yesterday and is ready to be installed.

This was a complete frame off restoration of a clean SoCal truck. Every nut and bolt was replaced with OEM hardware, the suspension was completely replaced with Sway-A-Way torsion bars and Alcan leaf springs. All the ball joints were replaced with Moog's. The interior was completely redone including a new dash carpet and door panels. All the glass was recently replaced. It was recently painted inside and out and received a fresh set of the original graphics on the sides and tailgate. A spray in bed liner was added so it will be a functional pickup. All the chrome and bumpers was sent off and returned to their original luster. All the rubber and seals and gaskets have been swapped out and all the plastics have been replaced. Ultimately so much has been done it is hard to list everything.

So what does this have to do with Overlanding?

Well, the plan is to keep it stock use it as a daily driver for 9 months of the year, but I want it to be set up for mild overland use. It will be great to have a little 4wd overlanding rigs that gets excellent MPG for those long adventures to southern Utah.

A few of the mods that are planned are pretty straight forward because they are share components with my other Mitsubishi pickup.

-Defender rack mounted to the cab.
-CVT 6 man Mt. McKinley RTT over the bed.
-Bed Rack
-Camp Chef stove/oven/grill combo.
-BFG KO 215/75/15 Tire with original wheels.

Here are a few teaser pics for ya.

This is what she looked like after 30 years of exposure to the sun, prior to the restoration

pre restoration.jpeg

Here's a beautiful shot of her restored to her original glory. I love those bright graphic from the 80's.

post restoration.jpg

This is the new 2.5L Mitsubishi turbo diesel that came in yesterday. It makes about 100hp and 150ft lbs of torque. It will have no issue motivating this pickup. In 1983 these were the fastest production pickup sold in the US and that includes all the fullsize big block pickups.

4d56.jpeg

Beautiful water cooled Garrett Turbo

Garrett Turbo.jpeg

Dual V-Belts

dual V-belt.jpeg

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
...and so another Mitsubishi enters the family. I like it and tend to agree, especially with the graphics. Great!

Making some progress. After swapping out the oil pan and a few other mods the engine has found a new home. While not a direct bolt in it is still pretty straight forward.

Here are a few teaser pics.

BD3BBF48-8C2D-42DF-9F60-A8AFC6271197.jpg

BA6E8C6A-2630-47FF-B20A-E830D380EB34.jpg

BFB52479-BF5F-43AA-833C-5D17E5E9DE58.jpg

JamesW

Adventurer
That has a serious retro/cool thing going on! Can't wait to see more pics

I can't believe something with that engine was once the fastest anything though!

And will we be seeing this gem at the Retro Ramble next year? :cool:

I plan to bring one of the Mitsubishi Pickups. Where do I find info on the Retro Ramble? I was looking for info last night but did not find a web site or anything. I already have an old Eureka 12x12 tent, Coleman stove and Coleman Lantern, just no info.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I plan to bring one of the Mitsubishi Pickups. Where do I find info on the Retro Ramble? I was looking for info last night but did not find a web site or anything. I already have an old Eureka 12x12 tent, Coleman stove and Coleman Lantern, just no info.

Details will eventually all be sorted and publicized on a format similar to the RelicRun.com site. In the meantime the planning and subsequent planning is/will be taking place on ExpeditionUtah.com in the Old Iron: Relic Run & Retro Ramble forum. Pretty quiet now as the planning is taking place amongst the mods but soon that planning will end up in a Retro specific page.

One of your trucks would be absolutely rad to have along! :cool:

Details will eventually all be sorted and publicized on a format similar to the RelicRun.com site. In the meantime the planning and subsequent planning is/will be taking place on ExpeditionUtah.com in the Old Iron: Relic Run & Retro Ramble forum. Pretty quiet now as the planning is taking place amongst the mods but soon that planning will end up in a Retro specific page.

One of your trucks would be absolutely rad to have along! :cool:

I will keep my eyes peeled:eek:

I always feel left out of the Relic Runs because my 30 year old trucks are not old enough. I think the Retro Ramble is a great idea for these aging vehicles and at 30 years old they are definitely classic vehicles.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I will keep my eyes peeled:eek:

I always feel left out of the Relic Runs because my 30 year old trucks are not old enough. I think the Retro Ramble is a great idea for these aging vehicles and at 30 years old they are definitely classic vehicles.

Agreed, it was always the intent to expand our franchise of events... but we needed to grow into them. If your interested in helping this or other events, we'd love to have you onboard.

Agreed, it was always the intent to expand our franchise of events... but we needed to grow into them. If your interested in helping this or other events, we'd love to have you onboard.

I would be more than happy to help where ever I am needed. I am hoping the little diesel will be ready "Freeze Your Tail Off 5" in December. If the weather cooperates I think it would be a good maiden voyage for the Mitsubishi. If its poor weather I always have the Mercedes as a back up for the "Freeze Your Tail Off 5"

Did you ever post updated pictures of your rig on another thread?

No, this is it. I have been a little busy lately because the wife is ready to have a baby any day now and I am trying to finish my basement to make room for the new addition. The truck is done for the most part and I will try to post up some pics over the next few weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94