Project JKURV

I know i'll be in the same place as that ill fated sunday morning on the beach in my friend's mom's Hillman minx, but here goes . . . .

most of the construction is built depending on the shear of your fasteners ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_force ). which in some instances look like finish nails from a pin nailer. if you could build under compression (sides rest on top of horizontal components) there will be more rigidity in the structure.

I know i'll be in the same place as that ill fated sunday morning on the beach in my friend's mom's Hillman minx, but here goes . . . .

most of the construction is built depending on the shear of your fasteners ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_force ). which in some instances look like finish nails from a pin nailer. if you could build under compression (sides rest on top of horizontal components) there will be more rigidity in the structure.
I considered using a kreg jig and biscuit joints but I am planning on gluing the whole thing together then seal everything with epoxy resin and hitting all the corners with fiberglass cloth and a finish coat of resin. It will be water proof and very strong.

I ran a similar (albeit not nearly as cool and I'm loving your build) kitchen box on a 10,000 mile roadtrip in September which included coast to coast on the TransAmerica Trail and beat the be-jezus out of everything with not so much as a loose board on the kitchen box. Mine was 3/4 ply with wood screws. The next go-round will have more 1/2" ply and I like the hole saw idea do cut weight, also love that top slide, mine was stationary. The space behind where you have the drawers is where I built in my house battery.

Now just a little finish sanding then it’s time for some epoxy resin, fiberglass cloth along the edges and a finish coat!

For now time to clean up, call it a day and have a beer! 27F196F8-91BC-468C-8CED-BA50AF6EB103.jpeg

Wow boat.man is rusty at fiberglass construction! It’s only been about 20 years sense I have worked with the stuff. I may dial back my plans a little bit. Everything is glued and screwed so fiberglass may be a bit of overkill 😝.

B60534AB-1A6F-42F4-9AC6-10D58FB8BB7E.jpeg 20969B8E-82D9-4BFA-A7F1-3BCBFA11375D.jpeg 5C7A270D-D90C-4B09-8740-47CC0550BD12.jpeg

Super cool blood moon tonight!
82258840-3AE9-41D5-ABC4-2FB145146617.jpeg

The finish line is in sight!!! Still have to finish up the mid shelf today. Then time to work on a 12V panel for the camper side.
I am thinking of using a small breaker panel from a boat, surprise surprise and a dual battery system. For now I m very pleased with how it has turned out!

IMG_5411.JPG IMG_5412.JPG IMG_5413.JPG IMG_5414.JPG IMG_5415.JPG IMG_5416.JPG

So what do ya think?

This has been an idea rolling around In my head for a long time. It is kind of a prototype. I would love to hear your feed back as I am considering taking this to more of a business to build custom interiors for overland vehicles.

I am planning of attending Easter Jeep Safari and Overland Expo this spring to gauge interest!

Last edited: