Project JKURV

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
I made a couple brackets to secure the front to the floor using studs for the back seat.

I am still looking for an attachment point for the rear however it is very solid as is.

32078429-CF33-423A-82F4-6B2B6F70A791.jpeg

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
So here is what I came up with for weights.

My old storage cabinet weighed 65 lbs not including the refrigerator or it’s slide. That was a cheap file cabinet and a piece of 1/2” plywood.

I removed the rear seat, carpet, seat belts, bolts and misc stuff for a total of 124 lbs for a grand total of -189 lbs

The “basement” box and shelf is 42lbs
The complete rear storage is 91lbs
Not including the fridge or slide
That’s a grand total of 133 lbs

For me that’s a net weight savings of 56 lbs!

Mission accomplished!

Everyone’s needs are different but this was a huge benefit for me because the back seat was never used and just took up valuable space and weight.

Last edited:

rustypayne

I really like this it turned out great. Those look like regular slides, how are the drawers locked in so they don't bounce open when driving?

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
I really like this it turned out great. Those look like regular slides, how are the drawers locked in so they don't bounce open when driving?

Yes you are correct!
After much thought I ended up using magnets to keep the drawer shut.
We will have to see how it works!

IMG_5439.JPG

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
I counter sunk and glued the magnets into the drawers. And mounted the strikers on the back of the cabinet.
I will have to get some miles on them to see if they will be strong enough but they seem to hold pretty well!

IMG_5446.JPGIMG_5448.JPG

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
I had a chance to get to wire the back of the Jeep for power and lights!

I used a Anderson plug that is direct to the battery with a 30Amp fuse.

Then I added a light to the glass with a touch switch and another USB power point up in the sleeping area!

then a couple LED strip lights in the cubby and under the rear of the cabinet for some "mood light"

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
I have been busy in the shop again! I made a 2 drawer JK box for a customer that likes to shoot sporting clays. The bottom drawer is made for his Over under shotgun case and 3 cases of shells. And the top is for gear. He runs a soft top with a duster so he wanted it to fit under the cover and be somewhat weather tight and hard to break into.

Here are a couple pictures!

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
I liked my JKURV box but it left a lot to be desired so I have been working on a 2.0 version!
Very similar in design but more refined and looking to be able to produce them on a CNC machine. I have been terrible about taking pictures but it is almost finished and will take some shots when done.
The major change is this one will find into the back of a JK with the seat up. It follows the angle of the seat. I only lost a little bit of storage in the upper cubby so that is a win!
Here are a couple shots of the finish going on and assembly.

This one is made with Baltic Birch and finished with polyurethane. I am not going to fiberglass this one instead it is held together with a combination of pocket screws with a twist, once the pocket hole is drilled I then drill threw both pieces and bolt them together with stainless machine screws and nuts.

rustypayne

I like the angled box better, it's more versatile to be able to leave the seats in and gives a more modular design. Your craftsmanship is very nice, I have a similar box but not nearly as pretty. I use that angled cubby on the passenger side for a 2nd battery and the charging electronics.

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
I like the angled box better, it's more versatile to be able to leave the seats in and gives a more modular design. Your craftsmanship is very nice, I have a similar box but not nearly as pretty. I use that angled cubby on the passenger side for a 2nd battery and the charging electronics.

Thank you!

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
It is in the jeep!

I spent most of the day fitting latches to the drawers and figuring out how to put a latch on the top slide out.
The last one I tried magnets to hold the drawers closed but they just didn't have enough to hold them on rough roads.
so this time I am using slam latches like you would find in a boat!

The latches were a challenge... the top drawer is only 3.5" tall and the hole is 2" the problem was that the catch is 1/2 and the stretcher is 1/2" so there was hot enough Realestate to put the latch in the traditional location.

My solution was to mill out a hole in the stretcher and make a striker for it.

That took some time but I am very happy with the result!

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
The top slide was a challenge also. I started by mounting the latch as low possible and milling out a bit of the bottom to fit the latch. Then I used some of the same aluminum U channel to act as a striker along the top of the center piece. then I ran milled out a notch for the latch!
Sorry no good pictures today.
Then added aluminum to the length of the center riser and added some nylon to the bottom of the drawer so it will glide on it with a heavy load.

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
Here it is in the Jeep!!!

I am a little pissed about the football in the middle darwer ? completely missed it until started finishing everything.
This is BBBB Baltic birch so there is going to be some spots, oh well.
The gap above the top little drawer is going to be a switch panel for LED lights and USB power points. I think I will make it out of aluminum but that is going to have to wait for another day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste