Project JKURV

s.e.charles

I know i'll be in the same place as that ill fated sunday morning on the beach in my friend's mom's Hillman minx, but here goes . . . .

most of the construction is built depending on the shear of your fasteners ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_force ). which in some instances look like finish nails from a pin nailer. if you could build under compression (sides rest on top of horizontal components) there will be more rigidity in the structure.

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
I know i'll be in the same place as that ill fated sunday morning on the beach in my friend's mom's Hillman minx, but here goes . . . .

most of the construction is built depending on the shear of your fasteners ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_force ). which in some instances look like finish nails from a pin nailer. if you could build under compression (sides rest on top of horizontal components) there will be more rigidity in the structure.

I considered using a kreg jig and biscuit joints but I am planning on gluing the whole thing together then seal everything with epoxy resin and hitting all the corners with fiberglass cloth and a finish coat of resin. It will be water proof and very strong.

rustypayne

I ran a similar (albeit not nearly as cool and I'm loving your build) kitchen box on a 10,000 mile roadtrip in September which included coast to coast on the TransAmerica Trail and beat the be-jezus out of everything with not so much as a loose board on the kitchen box. Mine was 3/4 ply with wood screws. The next go-round will have more 1/2" ply and I like the hole saw idea do cut weight, also love that top slide, mine was stationary. The space behind where you have the drawers is where I built in my house battery.

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
Another long day in the shop! It doesn’t look like much but spent the day fitting the drawers, sanding, and cleaning up the edges.

30101B9A-A059-419F-9F0C-ED1B8DAE65E8.jpeg86745B79-7F03-474E-A988-DEFF0C199728.jpeg2450564B-B210-448F-A4AA-4BCAC208C613.jpeg

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
Now just a little finish sanding then it’s time for some epoxy resin, fiberglass cloth along the edges and a finish coat!

For now time to clean up, call it a day and have a beer!27F196F8-91BC-468C-8CED-BA50AF6EB103.jpeg

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
Wow boat.man is rusty at fiberglass construction! It’s only been about 20 years sense I have worked with the stuff. I may dial back my plans a little bit. Everything is glued and screwed so fiberglass may be a bit of overkill ?.

B60534AB-1A6F-42F4-9AC6-10D58FB8BB7E.jpeg20969B8E-82D9-4BFA-A7F1-3BCBFA11375D.jpeg5C7A270D-D90C-4B09-8740-47CC0550BD12.jpeg

Super cool blood moon tonight!
82258840-3AE9-41D5-ABC4-2FB145146617.jpeg

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
I finally got chance to get back to the storage system. Not much to photograph, just a lot of sanding and epoxy resin... then more sanding and so on. should be finished with all the glass work today then time for final assembly!IMG_5400.JPGIMG_5401.JPGIMG_5402.JPG

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
The finish line is in sight!!! Still have to finish up the mid shelf today. Then time to work on a 12V panel for the camper side.
I am thinking of using a small breaker panel from a boat, surprise surprise and a dual battery system. For now I m very pleased with how it has turned out!

IMG_5411.JPGIMG_5412.JPGIMG_5413.JPGIMG_5414.JPGIMG_5415.JPGIMG_5416.JPG

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
I should have this finished by the end of the weekend. I will weigh everything and post my findings. I think that it will come in less than my old system+ the back seat and other stuff I removed.

IMG_5417.JPGIMG_5418.JPGIMG_5419.JPGIMG_5420.JPG

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
So what do ya think?

This has been an idea rolling around In my head for a long time. It is kind of a prototype. I would love to hear your feed back as I am considering taking this to more of a business to build custom interiors for overland vehicles.

I am planning of attending Easter Jeep Safari and Overland Expo this spring to gauge interest!

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
love the rear section. I don't run a rear seat in my jkur but I have a dog so that part would not work well for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke