Project MULE - Expedition build on a 1991 1500 4x4 Suburban

Renntag

Adventurer
This is inspiring me to possibly make my own overhead console rather than fuss with the VDP unit that has been on back order since the spring.
Nice work !

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Here is some more for you Greg

centerconsole-023.jpg

centerconsole-025.jpg

centerconsole-028.jpg

centerconsole-029.jpg

centerconsole-030.jpg

centerconsole-031.jpg

centerconsole-032.jpg

centerconsole-033.jpg

centerconsole-034.jpg

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Hey Thanks Chilli. I've built many work benches and other things that were simple and HD but this is the first time I am building something with finished edges and glue and nails and stain etc etc. My mother says I got the wood working skills from my grandfather. Its turned out great but all things considered I'd rather be working in metal. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

Rally592

Observer
Taking the new front springs apart and getting them greased up. I use a white lithium grease. This will help from any possible squeaks and will keep the suspension moving smoothly.
suspension-021.jpg

suspension-022.jpg

Hi,

i have read this forum for a while and even bought one of your front bumper kits and just joined to comment on this thread. I just had to comment (hopefully taken as constructive criticism) on the grease in the springs. Correct me if i am wrong but a wise old guy once told me to not lubricate these. the rubber/plastic pads are meant to be dry. The grease will attract dirt and form a compound which will start to rub and the springs will start wearing through each other. like sand paper or rubbing compound.

i just dont want you to wear our those nice new springs! especially since you use your burb for what is was meant for!

by the way i am building a twin to this suburban (almost) will post some pics sometime when I have time. I used yours an inspiration.

I am in the middle of doing bodywork/paint right now.

looks good!

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Any of the extra grease has been removed. anything left is just in between the leafs. I did this before on my Cherokee springs per recommendation from Will over at Sierra Expeditions. Its more common then you think. When I changed out springs on my Cherokee I broke them down and the dust never made it in between the leafs. just some spots were it creeped in a bit.

A lot of the cheaper spring companies just use dry plastic discs, maybe plates or nothing at all. My Old Man Emu springs (for the Cherokee) came with teflon pads pre-greased. It was recommended to wipe that grease out and put in white lithium.

it's a damn smooth ride this truck. I'll have no complaints on the leaf springs.

Renntag

Adventurer
I like the spring lube idea. Makes sense that a ride improvement can be seen if the spring packs can move easily. Suspension improvements are in store for my burb as well. I will be adding this task to my list.

Thanks for continuing to document everything and share.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Thanks for keeping this post alive. It has been giving me lots of ideas how to turn my "Woofwagon" into the expedition vehicle I've wanted.

Rally592

Observer
Any of the extra grease has been removed. anything left is just in between the leafs. I did this before on my Cherokee springs per recommendation from Will over at Sierra Expeditions. Its more common then you think. When I changed out springs on my Cherokee I broke them down and the dust never made it in between the leafs. just some spots were it creeped in a bit.

A lot of the cheaper spring companies just use dry plastic discs, maybe plates or nothing at all. My Old Man Emu springs (for the Cherokee) came with teflon pads pre-greased. It was recommended to wipe that grease out and put in white lithium.

it's a damn smooth ride this truck. I'll have no complaints on the leaf springs.

Sounds good. it was just an observation. glad it is working for you.

below is a pic of your bumper kit going together on my burb. by the way it is a nice kit if you take your time and measure/square things up (that is pretty important as you well know)

keep up the good work!

Jon

IMG_1154.jpg

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Jon that is the only thing that is really important. Really just a welder a grinder and a square is all you need. Bumper sales have slowed a bit in favor if our electronics picking up in sales but I still offer them.

I have received enough inquires that I plan to offer the bull bars as an option this fall.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Thanks for keeping this post alive. It has been giving me lots of ideas how to turn my "Woofwagon" into the expedition vehicle I've wanted.

Woof wagon I love your avatar. " just walk away and I will spare your lives... Just walk away".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz