Project MULE - Expedition build on a 1991 1500 4x4 Suburban

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I like the spring lube idea. Makes sense that a ride improvement can be seen if the spring packs can move easily. Suspension improvements are in store for my burb as well. I will be adding this task to my list.

Thanks for continuing to document everything and share.

That's the whole idea renntag. For us to share our ideas and help one another. If my build helps someone else figure out their own design or saves them money then have at it. A lot of my ideas are just regurgitated ideas from someone else.

My center console ideas originated from the old StarCraft conversions from the 70s and 80s. And it's being built and finished to keep with the era.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
More on the console. Two coats of stain and two coats of polyurethane. Finally got to wiring today. 1000W inverter with remote panel and outlet wired. Map light installed.

centerconsole-040.jpg

centerconsole-041.jpg

centerconsole-042.jpg

centerconsole-043.jpg

centerconsole-044.jpg

centerconsole-045.jpg

centerconsole-046.jpg

centerconsole-047.jpg

centerconsole-048.jpg

centerconsole-049.jpg

centerconsole-050.jpg

Woofwagon

Adventurer
More on the console. Two coats of stain and two coats of polyurethane. Finally got to wiring today. 1000W inverter with remote panel and outlet wired. Map light installed.

Really digging this console design. May I borrow the concept for my "Woofwagon"?

firesq14

Observer
hello there,

is there a specific grease that it used for the springs?

Any of the extra grease has been removed. anything left is just in between the leafs. I did this before on my Cherokee springs per recommendation from Will over at Sierra Expeditions. Its more common then you think. When I changed out springs on my Cherokee I broke them down and the dust never made it in between the leafs. just some spots were it creeped in a bit.

A lot of the cheaper spring companies just use dry plastic discs, maybe plates or nothing at all. My Old Man Emu springs (for the Cherokee) came with teflon pads pre-greased. It was recommended to wipe that grease out and put in white lithium.

it's a damn smooth ride this truck. I'll have no complaints on the leaf springs.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
hello there,

is there a specific grease that it used for the springs?

White lithium grease in a tube, I picked mine up from Oreilly Auto. You may find it in the marine section as well. There is a black lithium but I have never seen it.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
More on the Center console from the last few days. I was hoping to have the console in today but we are breaking rain records here and some are thinking of building arks its so bad. :eek1:

centerconsole-051.jpg

centerconsole-052.jpg

centerconsole-053.jpg

centerconsole-054.jpg

First time I have ever had, electrical tools, metal tools and wood tools out for the same project.
centerconsole-055.jpg

centerconsole-056.jpg

Had to solder some Diodes inline for the master "Zombie Apocalypse" switch to work.
centerconsole-057.jpg

centerconsole-058.jpg

centerconsole-059.jpg

Started the build on the Toughbook mount.
centerconsole-060.jpg

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Resistors will reduce power, diodes are like a valve. The diodes will allow voltage to go only one way. This was needed for the master light switch. This a was a novelty switch I added in with a switch cover that says "Zombie Response lights" So no matter what on/off condition any of the lights are in when I flip the zombie switch all will turn on. The way it is wired all if I did not have the diodes the minute I turned one switch on it would energize the rest.

Renntag

Adventurer
Just awesome.
Once again, amazing work. Keep going. Your big trip is around thr corner. All this work will be enjoyed.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Spy photos in. Along with running search and rescue ops we can also do a FBI background check while you wait! :D:D:D

Actually the Toughbook is for live data logging on Topofusion and the wife can write int he log for out trips.

The tach, traqnny temp and vac gauge are still kind of "there" as temporary. i still have not figured out where to put them.

centerconsole-061.jpg

centerconsole-062.jpg

centerconsole-063.jpg

centerconsole-064.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles