Project "Snow White" 4x4 Baja Ambulance build

java

Expedition Leader
Ive heard, and read the exact opposite. This is R13, water resistant, and mold resistant.
An XPS foam (blue or pink stuff) will have a higher R per inch, and less vapor permeability. The EPS (white stuff) will have less R per inch.

XPS is extruded as a sheet, the EPX is microbeads expended and heated together. The advantage of extruding the whole sheet is there are only gaps at the edges, the EPS is like normal Styrofoam and water can migrate between the beads.

R-Tech(EPS) is 3.85 R/inch, Blue Dow(XPS) stuff is 5/inc, Owens Corning Pink(XPS) stuff is 5/inch

EDIT: not trying to be a dick, Just if your doing a super budget once in a life time build, you might want to consider another product if your not too far along. I just did way too much reading on this when I did mine....

Thanks for the knowledge Java, much appreciated. I'll go and get some XPS sheets tomorrow

An XPS foam (blue or pink stuff) will have a higher R per inch, and less vapor permeability. The EPS (white stuff) will have less R per inch.

XPS is extruded as a sheet, the EPX is microbeads expended and heated together. The advantage of extruding the whole sheet is there are only gaps at the edges, the EPS is like normal Styrofoam and water can migrate between the beads.

R-Tech(EPS) is 3.85 R/inch, Blue Dow(XPS) stuff is 5/inc, Owens Corning Pink(XPS) stuff is 5/inch

EDIT: not trying to be a dick, Just if your doing a super budget once in a life time build, you might want to consider another product if your not too far along. I just did way too much reading on this when I did mine....

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the knowledge Java, much appreciated. I'll go and get some XPS sheets tomorrow
Cool, hope I didn't sound like a dick, I re-read my first message and it kinda sounded that way....

FWIW I think you will be happier, more insulation the better IMO, especially since we will have so little in reality.

The spray in stuff you can do yourself (not the can stuff but the pro stuff) has a higher overall R factor than all the sheet foam products and leaves zero gaps anywhere. Zero Mold issues, Zero water absorbance. Those who do school bus conversions swear by it. Just something to consider.

java

Expedition Leader
The spray in stuff you can do yourself (not the can stuff but the pro stuff) has a higher overall R factor than all the sheet foam products and leaves zero gaps anywhere. Zero Mold issues, Zero water absorbance. Those who do school bus conversions swear by it. Just something to consider.

Agreed, this is what I did in my build (well except I had a pro do it as I needed two kits and it wasn't much more to have them do it) However, be sure to see which product is used. If your planning lots of cold travel, polyiso loses R value with temp drop (down to roughly XPS iirc). There is a really good study done if you Google.

I suggested XPS sheets as he was already on the path of sheets. It's simpler as a diy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm doing 2" thick XPS sheets, with the sheets slid into the ribs of the supports it leaves 1". So for that 1" I'm going to have it spray foamed.

Total of 15 ribs at 1" will be spray foamed

Not at all, thanks for letting me know. Or else I would've finished installing the R-Tech sheets

Cool, hope I didn't sound like a dick, I re-read my first message and it kinda sounded that way....

FWIW I think you will be happier, more insulation the better IMO, especially since we will have so little in reality.

Vehicle is in the shop again. Getting the HP oil system upgraded, same with all oil filters (full AMS Oil set up- allows 15k miles between oil changes). Upgraded fuel pump, and all new fuel lines, along with an insulated 64 Gal Diesel tank (10 gallons more than stock).. I averaged 15Mpg driving to MT. Also picked up a lot of XPS sheet insulation, all my wiring has arrived, and I'm custom fabricating some rock sliders. This build is too much fun!

* I will be uploading a lot of pictures soon, I brought the vehicle to our cabin in Kalispell, MT. Mountain passes, and 2' of snow doesn't even phase the vehicle.. Its also nicer to work in a heated shop, than a icy driveway.

Last edited:
IMG_2022.JPG

My rear lights are located above the bumper so it'll work perfectly, Just putting snow white on a diet for the new year! Just shredding the pounds, she'll be ball ready soon

Glad to see that you are moving along (at warp speed!) on your build. I had one question about the insulation board you chose; What is the R Value per inch? When limited in inches available I have always used isocyo which ranges from R6 to R8 per inch......is there something preferential in your choice?
I am still out of the country btw, but plan on revisiting the sale of my Ambo this coming summer.........hard to valuate these beasts. When you are looking at something this old (and an ambulance converted to an RV!) I am not sure that an appraisal enters into the formula.
Enjoying your build!

Msand

Adventurer
So the insulation I picked up is 2" XPS sheets (Blue) and it has a R value of 16, so 8 per inch. And for appraisal, you can get it appraised (1995 e350 mini mod with quigley 4x4 is valued at $36,000 W/200,000) I showed all of my receipts from the full UJOR conversion, paint job and interior supplies, and snow white without the interior built out is valued at $60,000.. The guy I contacted for appraisal, said when I have the interior finished, It'll be in the $60k-100k range. Still losing a lot of money, as I will now have over $120,000 into it, but its a fun project, and I've learned a lot.

I've decided to sell it once I'm done building it, because I want to build a long distance unimog camper- minimum 1,400 mile range. Unfortunately I probably won't list Snow White on Expo portal for sale because of all the dumb negative comments that individuals feel like they must share. So in about a month or so look on Seattle, Spokane, and Kalispell Craigslist for the ad hahaha

Last edited: