Project Victory_Overland 08 LR3 Build Thread!

DiscoNels

Adventurer
I've been quite busy the last few weeks so have not had time to post up my progress. Over the last few weeks, I have successfully rebuilt the front end with all new parts. Installed RRS control arms, fixed my exhaust manifold leaks, and installed the V6 brake kit to install the 17" Euro-spec Disco 3 wheels.

View attachment 423648

What is this in the photo and what is the difference between the two?

Mack73

Adventurer
Ah 17's with KM2's

Been there done that :)

i6QLdLv.jpg

Today I made some orders to start getting my full-time overland kit established for Victory. The first order was for Starboard to start the sleeping platform. The frame will be made of aluminum and Starboard top. Although Starboard is quite heavy in comparison, it fits my needs for long duration durability, UV protection, strength, and aesthetics. The plan will be to mount the sleeping platform level with the NL Weekender and custom mattress on top. If you have seen the AT version of the LR3/4 install, it is similar only I plan to make it cost effective and customized for my uses.

Finally, I will retain one left back seat with a fold-up option for situations where I need to get another passenger in the vehicle. Typical use will be the back left passenger seat is folded down with the sleeping platform panel installed over the top. The center seat NL Weekender fridge/freezer in the middle and in place of the back right seat will be potentially internal encased water tank option with floor pan drain and a few other goodies under that panel. The back will have two full sliding drawers with the ultimate goal of keeping it less than 200lbs total dry (150lbs optimum). With the removal of over 240lbs of seats, brackets, hardware, and if can remain under that delta with the new platform install, I believe the weight economics goals have been met. Ultimately, low CG and weight savings are of prime concern for me in the end.

Additionally, I purchased some external fuel management tools/kit. The first is to get my Scepter tanks back up to snuff because they leak miserably while on their sides on the roof rack. Roof mounting is only temporary as I will keep with plans of installing external fuel single Scepter on the left side dual swingout since I will have internal freshwater eventually. Currently, I hold emergency water in a water Scepter on the roof next to the fuel Scepter. I found this guy on YouTube a while back and then decided this is what I needed for long-term fuel cap maintenance free life. If you don't know, the Scepter was designed for diesel only, and petrol destroys the flange in the caps, eats the non-vital seal and causes leaks......my major problem. JagMTE solved this and also a bit pricey, new plastic caps are the same cost and will eventually fail like my current ones. JagMTE resolved the issue with the caps by making an aluminum flange plate and new seal, and this should be the last time I need to purchase anything other than new vital seals years down the road.

I'm not yet endorsing this product in any fashion, but if you have issues like millions of other Scepters, I'll let you know if my money was well spent.

JagMTE Scepter Cap Modification

http://www.jagmte.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 2.00.26 PM.jpg

The next thing I did was purchase what I believe to be a decent siphon kit. I was able to get this Siphon Pro XL kit off Amazon for around $22 after my gift card and rebate I had hanging out in my cart. I wanted a good quality siphon kit for my toolkit anyway, so I will make a cute bag and leave this in the truck for emergencies and primary source of siphoning from my roof tanks to my Scepters. Even when mounted on the bumper, it will keep me from having to play pour games into the tank. I could have made one for less I am sure, but $22 is not going to keep me from eating this month, so I bought it.

Siphon Pro XL

https://www.amazon.com/Siphon-Pro-XL-Largest-Diesel/dp/B01M5D2XZQ

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 1.54.05 PM.jpg

More to follow as I use the gear on my trip out to the desert next week.

Rover on my friends, Rover on!:smiley_drive:

Looking forward to seeing how you progress bud!!! ill be adding some more info to my build thread soon :)

Thanks man, all is going well but I don't think Victory will meet the level of your travels. She's coming along great and getting a lot of good use out here in the California and Arizona desert. It's getting quite warm over here already and it's only the end of March.

I'm always stoked to see your updates and I'll try and keep mine coming.

Cheers Mate!

E

First impressions of the JEGMTE Scepter fuel cap mod.................FABULOUS! First off, the timing from order to shipment and direct communication with customer service is wonderful. Secondly, unboxing and packaging is second to only the quality of the product. I ordered two caps, although a bit pricey under my original view turned out to be well worth it. The install is 100% accurate fit, form, and function. Absolutely no leaks on or off-road and 100% confidence in the product outlasting the cans!

The modification is comparative to the cost of a brand new cap, yet, a brand new OEM cap with the plastic insert will not hold up like this aluminum insert and seal design.

I have 8 days out here in the desert so I'll continue to update my feedback for those interested as the days go by.

The picture below is a representation of the packaging of the product. One insert is installed in my old cap and the other insert is how it comes from JAGMTE. The non-installed version is the side that goes inboard to the cap and attaches to the cap retainer with a simple press fit. The installed one has the new seal installed.

IMG_3815.JPG

What is this in the photo and what is the difference between the two?

@DiscoNels sorry for the delay, I didn't see this. The photo is the difference between the inner tie-rods to the rack and pinion from LEFT and RIGHT sides. I don't remember which is which, but you can't install it on the wrong side. They have grease on them from the mock-up adjustment install. I installed them with the boots, made sure they were the correct length all around to get me close to alignment and then reinstalled with new boots.

Also, the Factory LR had flats machined for the wrench, the TRW did not have any flats but installed with a pipe wrench just as easy.

Abran

Observer
Passenger side is the bigger circumference inner tie rod.

Where’s those links to 17” Steelies?

Ray_G

Explorer
Passenger side is the bigger circumference inner tie rod.

Where’s those links to 17” Steelies?

I love it, keeping him honest!
In terms of X5 17's, I believe (not a BMW'er) we're talking the 01-06 E53 years of the X5 (http://www.wheelsupport.com/bolt-pattern-list-5-x-120/) where you get the 17" in the 3.0 model. That gets you to these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-X5-OEM...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Which, when mated with a mud terrain on an LR3/D3, gets you to this:
BMW 17s.jpg

Interesting and thanks for the links on the X5 wheels.....that really looks like a great option! Any spacers required or do these bolt right up flat?

Here is the link to DiscoverParts.de where I bought my 17x8 steelie! These guys are super easy to work with and know their stuff. Just tell them you have a NAS D3 and what you are planning on doing. They will work with the shipping process from Germany.

Peter is the great guy I was dealing with...not sure if he's one of the owners or what but super helpful and always responsive. I also added the lugs they use to ensure the process just in case the bevel was different or some craziness.....no issues though!

DiscoveryParts

The wheels are actually out of Australia made by Dynamic Wheel Company so you may be able to source from them with some conversation. The OZ exchange rate is much better but I have not made contact with them up to this point.

Dynamic Wheel Co.

Yeah definitely not cheap but a great option for a trail only set up.

I need to learn more about this X5 set-up because that seems like a very affordable and light option. Not sure how well they will handle the weight of the LR3 but they look nice and seem to fit great. Just curious to know if any spacer is involved because I do not want spacers ever again. And if X5 bolts right up, that means there are many other available wheel manufacturers out there to chose from with that set-up.

zelatore

Explorer
I admit I haven't dug back through all 18 pages, but...

Did you down-size the brakes to fit these BMW wheels? I see the Oz thread, but most of their trucks are diesel so have the smaller brakes already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles