Propane quick disconnect and 20Lb tank

Mark2457

Hi All

Have several items that use propane (which I take on each trip depends on duration and weather)

Gasland Instant hot water heater
Everest 2 burner stove or blackstone 17" adventure ready
Propane heater or firepit (not purchased yet)

Tired of lugging out the 20lb tank all the time, so would like to mount the tank in the 4x4 and run hoses with quick disconnects with shut offs to two places in the truck bed. i'm a bit baffled by all the different size and types of fittings. Anyone got any tips on what top buy to hook this all up

Thanks

Mark

WOODY2

Adventurer
Hi All

Have several items that use propane (which I take on each trip depends on duration and weather)

Gasland Instant hot water heater
Everest 2 burner stove or blackstone 17" adventure ready
Propane heater or firepit (not purchased yet)

Tired of lugging out the 20lb tank all the time, so would like to mount the tank in the 4x4 and run hoses with quick disconnects with shut offs to two places in the truck bed. i'm a bit baffled by all the different size and types of fittings. Anyone got any tips on what top buy to hook this all up

Thanks

Mark
Mounting a propane tank inside a vehicle is dangerous and possibly illegal.

Mark2457

Loads of people carry propane in the truck. Most of the time I'm cooking/washing dishes on the tailgate, so don't bother to take it out. I'm not planning an RV style install, just some longer hoses and quick disconnects

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I too, have a number of propane devices (although I do not attach the tank to the vehicle).
I use propane quick disconnects; because I want all my devices inter-compatible and some like the fire pit want a larger hose size; I use the 3/8 inch size quck disconnect (first encountered on a Mr. Heater product.
61zdmBcIXeL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Be aware that white Teflon tape is not recommended for propane connections.

DSCF0319 cropped.jpg

Enjoy!

dbhost

The standard BBQ fitting is 3/8" flare. Your gasland water heater, as most of that type of heater use what is effectively British standard threads. I have a Camplux and chose it over the Gasland as it came with the fittings to convert it to standard USA fittings... So...

Start off. Haul the propane tank in an open space like a purpose built cargo carrier external to the enclosed spaces in the vehicle. Propane is highly flamable, and heavier than air. Even in say an old Jeep, propane gas could settle down into the footwell, ignite, and flash burn the occupants. So keep it outdoors!

Determine what fittings your devices have. The majority of mine have 1" - 20 "Throwaway" threads. The ones the small green bottles use.

Let's look at your appliances.

Gasland Instant hot water heater. You didn't specify model, but looking at the best sellers listed on Amazon, the 6L seems to be set up the same as the Camplux I have. If I am seeing the connection correctly, this is the 1/2 British standard to 3/8 flare adapter, then the hose.
51q4wp3Y9yL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Everest 2 burner stove. This clearly has a 1-20 disposable fitting on the regulator.
71hOJo6ft0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

or blackstone 17" adventure ready. Same connectiona s the Everest stove.
5dce1456-c45e-4c18-bd9f-009b8566dcea.1a540f574073212556ffd4cb058d0f7e.jpeg

Propane heater or firepit (not purchased yet) . A heater, and a firepit typically have different connections. Let's assume you opt for a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy heater. This will require a Mr. Heater fuel filter to prevent oils that leech out of the hose from wrecking the heaters tiny passages and ulitmately destroying the heater.

So the issue you are running into is like my setup, the majority of your configuration uses 1-20 "throwaway" thread devices.

So you need 1-20 throwaway thread male x 3/8" male flare adapters. The only ones I can find ion amazon, nclude the male quick connects.
71nW8LYJYPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

At that point, you will need quick connect hoses. Select the hoses to the length you need, with the opposing ends you need. If you go with one hose and move it appliance to appliance, you are done with one, but you may want to use a manifold of some sort, and connect your appliances simultaenously.

As far as the water heater goes, you would use one of these adapters, but leave out the throwaway cylinder thread adapter.

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited:

potfish

Be careful with high pressure vs low pressure. The devices designed for 1lb disposable cylinders each have their own regulator so you can put high pressure straight from your 1lb cylinder, or from a 20lb cylinder via the quick connect in the post above, but you need to make sure the hose you use is rated for high pressure. Much of what I see on Amazon is low pressure, with a regulator at the 20lb cylinder end. If you use one of those, your system will have two regulators in series and most likely not work.

From the photo of the Gasland water heater, with the regulator at the 20lb cylinder end, that device is expecting low pressure so don't feed high pressure to it.

I haven't tried any of this stuff for real yet, I am just planning my system, but I will want to come up with a way to make it foolproof.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I didn’t see it posted but with the safety concerns posted above there is something more to consider.
Propane cylinders need to be mounted/stored/ transported in the correct orientation. This is usually valve up unless it’s a horizontal cylinder.
The danger is liquid lpg may leak out if The tank is in its side and the tank goes over pressure which is much more dangerous than gas lpg.

dbhost

Be careful with high pressure vs low pressure. The devices designed for 1lb disposable cylinders each have their own regulator so you can put high pressure straight from your 1lb cylinder, or from a 20lb cylinder via the quick connect in the post above, but you need to make sure the hose you use is rated for high pressure. Much of what I see on Amazon is low pressure, with a regulator at the 20lb cylinder end. If you use one of those, your system will have two regulators in series and most likely not work.

From the photo of the Gasland water heater, with the regulator at the 20lb cylinder end, that device is expecting low pressure so don't feed high pressure to it.

I haven't tried any of this stuff for real yet, I am just planning my system, but I will want to come up with a way to make it foolproof.

Looks like you have the idea in general. If you are going to move item position to position, yeah I would NOT use QDs, but if you have a specific mount point for the gasland, just use the regulator / hose with a QD so you can connect / discoonect the shower for transit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles