ProPower OnBoard 2 kW

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Not sure if this would be the right section to ask. But, does anyone have this system on a '21 F150? Was it worthwhile what do you use if for?

I'm back and forth on it since I believe it would mean you'd have to run the truck to take advantage of it. (Truck would be a non hybrid 3.5 EcoBoost)

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I have no knowledge about the Ford inverter.

However... the one Toyota put in my Tacoma will indeed only turn on with the engine running. Beyond that mine will only give you full power (it's 400 watts) if you're idling in neutral. It reduces power (to 100W) while moving.

But most critical, the output of the inverter is a pretty low quality modified square wave. This aspect I'd look into carefully. It may be cheaper to just buy a decent true sine aftermarket than the option price.

Last edited:

wirenut

Adventurer
If the Ford inverter is indeed not a pure sine wave I'd pass. MSW inverters are like black and white TVs. You could buy one but why?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I passed on ProPower. The truck does come with a 400W outlet in the bed though.

Thinking our camping overlanding has shore powered sites expensive and complex power sources to provide power while in nature.

So, I don't think it was required. And as stated, the truck would have to be running to take advantage of it anyway as it is not a hybrid just a regular 3.5.

Probably better off just to get a quiet generator. (Probably not needed either though)

krick3tt

Adventurer
Might depend on where you live for that generator. Understanding that the idea of not using a generator for the fumes and the noise but is the petrol consumption/noise of a generator more than letting an IC vehicle engine idle while using the power source in the vehicle? At least CA has not banned them (trucks) for the power they can generate, at least not yet.
A Jackery or other power source might be better depending on what the power is needed for and the duration of the need.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I think I'd rather let a generator run idling for hours then add more wear / tear to my trucks engine.

And, after giving some though I really don't think a generator is required for me.

But, you are right def worth consideration based on location. Personally, I'd skip the ProPower 2kW as the truck has to run the whole time the generator is in use.

I'd select the hybrid 3.5 in a ProPower use case as the truck only needs to idle once the battery pack has drained. So it would reduce run time on the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior