Pros and cons of Charger inverter/Automatic transfer switch/Inverter to all in one charger Inverter?

Fatboyz

Observer
I have my solar system figured out but am still deciding on the rest of the charging system. I want the ability to run shore power, charge the batteries and also have 1000 watts of 110V AC from an inverter. I see there are two ways to go. One way is to have a separate charger Inverter, then an automatic transfer switch then the inverter. The second way is to have an all in one unit like the xantrex freedom hfs charger inverter. Price wise the three part system is about the same as the all in one. The All in one Xantrex seems like a very simple unit with less wiring. any thoughts?

john61ct

Adventurer
Xantrex is good but has a terrible CS attitude.

For inverters, Magnum is the best, Vanner, Victron, MasterVolt, Sterling, Outback, ProMariner but pricey. Samlex and Tripplite solid middle ground. I've heard Morningstar is good.

Some of these do Kombi units, I prefer keeping the functions separate

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The all-in-one inverter/charger units will often have features missing from separate components.

For instance, some can be configured to not draw above a certain amount from shore power. Useful if you're plugged into say a 15a shore plug and are worried about popping the shore breaker.

Another feature that some inverter/chargers have is the ability to momentarily pull power from the battery to augment the incoming shore power to service momentary high loads, such as air conditioning compressor startup.

With separate components, the inverter is generally direct to battery full-time and the electrical outlets fed from the inverter full-time. A standalone inverter has no provision to accept input from shore power. The shore power simply feeds the battery charger and no transfer switch is needed.

In such a system, the transfer switch is usually only needed to switch between shore power or generator to feed the battery charger.

Of course, you can always add complexity. You could use a transfer switch to feed the electrical outlets from either shore power or inverter and hard-wire the battery charger to shore power.

You would still need another transfer switch if you wanted to switch between shore power and on-board generator to power the battery charger and electrical outlets.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Some of the all in one units give you some control over power quality, they will decline to connect loads to shore power if errors or drifts exist. The all in one inverters can be programmed to provide power continuity if the shore power drops out (UPS style).

Fatboyz

Observer
The all-in-one inverter/charger units will often have features missing from separate components.

For instance, some can be configured to not draw above a certain amount from shore power. Useful if you're plugged into say a 15a shore plug and are worried about popping the shore breaker.

Another feature that some inverter/chargers have is the ability to momentarily pull power from the battery to augment the incoming shore power to service momentary high loads, such as air conditioning compressor startup.

With separate components, the inverter is generally direct to battery full-time and the electrical outlets fed from the inverter full-time. A standalone inverter has no provision to accept input from shore power. The shore power simply feeds the battery charger and no transfer switch is needed.

In such a system, the transfer switch is usually only needed to switch between shore power or generator to feed the battery charger.

Of course, you can always add complexity. You could use a transfer switch to feed the electrical outlets from either shore power or inverter and hard-wire the battery charger to shore power.

You would still need another transfer switch if you wanted to switch between shore power and on-board generator to power the battery charger and electrical outlets.

Boy there's lots of threads on this but I'm still a bit confused. If I hard wire the charger converter to shore power and hard wire the inverter to the batteries, do I just need one transfer switch between the inverter and charger/converter? When I'm hooked to shore power does the 110v circuits go through the charger inverter and then to my 110v AC braker box, and thus the rest of my house 110v circuits? if shore power is disconnected the transfer switch will then cut in and 110v power will come from the inverter, through the charger/converter to the breaker box?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
A quick google turned up this. There is a diagram from separate charger, inverter and transfer switch.

https://gpelectric.com/products/30-amp-pre-wired-transfer-switch/

GP-TS_Wiring_vD2.jpg

Fatboyz

Observer
looks like with the above switch, 110v power would only go to the charger/converter when hooked to shore power, which is what I want. With the reg 30a transfer switch it looks like when you unplug from shore power, the inverter would be trying to power the charger/converter too?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
It depends on how you have it wired. The charger can be connected on the shore side of the transfer switch, so it is only powered on shore power.

john61ct

Adventurer
Build into your design the ability to use a genny in place of mains, even if you don't use one now.

Keep the shore-power-only appliances on separate circuits from genny-or-shore-power

and separate again from those you can realistically power from inverter+battery.

Any automated transfer switching should take those current limitations into account.

Remember, simplicity means reliability.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
looks like with the above switch, 110v power would only go to the charger/converter when hooked to shore power, which is what I want. With the reg 30a transfer switch it looks like when you unplug from shore power, the inverter would be trying to power the charger/converter too?
It depends on how you have it wired. The charger can be connected on the shore side of the transfer switch, so it is only powered on shore power.

That is a normal transfer switch and it's wired as luthj just described.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I have had two Magnums, one 2800w and one 2000w - both have worked perfectly. I would not be that worried about all-your-eggs-in-one-baskets.

As noted above, both have the ability to limit their draw from shore power, a handy feature when using a 15a circuit or a small generator.

A tech from Magnum explained to me that about 80% of the components are common between the charger and inverter sides, thus it costs very little more to make an inverter/charger. A separate charger and inverter would probably cost you more retail. The tech claimed another advantage with Magnum; all of the boards are field replaceable. He swore that as long as we could receive the boards, he could keep the unit running.

One drawback for international use; AFAIK, no one makes an inverter/charger that will take in 110v/220v and output a constant 110v. (Or 220v for our European cousins visiting the US.) Many inverter/chargers will accept 50 or 60 Hz and thus could be used with a transformer. The other option is, of course, to add a 110/220v charger to your mix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94