Pros/Cons 20030 QX4

GetBentFab

We're considering a QX4 to replace our FJ cruiser, any opinions? Any problem areas to watch out for beyond your typical used car purchase issues?
Thanks,
Eric

Hootowl

Observer
We're considering a QX4 to replace our FJ cruiser, any opinions? Any problem areas to watch out for beyond your typical used car purchase issues?
Thanks,
Eric

The QX4 started out in the late 1990s as a rebadged Pathfinder R50. The last year for it was 2003. 2001 through 2003 have the very fine VQ3.5 engine, which is it shared not only with the Pathfinder but also several other Infinitys and Nissans. Nissan does a lot of that engine sharing but will tweek the computer, compression, cam and such to customize the power and torque curves and other things to match the vehicle's purpose and configuration. The VQ engines finally gave Nissan trucks pretty darn decent power and torque to supplement their historical long service life and reliability.

While I am not all that familiar with the QX4, the R50 Pathfinder is a fine vehicle. As an Infinity of course, the QX4 gets some high technology kinds of conveniences and engineering capabilities that one would expect from a premium vehicle.

Offroad related tweeks are going to be limitted for the QX4. I think the QX4 had a full time 4wd but also a transfer case so it has the low range for offroad. I think that ARB has a winch bumper and Old Man Emu a suspension upgrade for the R50 Pathfinder and if this is right then perhaps these could bolt up to a QX4? Sliders or skid kinds of armors though are definately going to be custom fabrications.

Bottom line is that the QX4 is a pretty good truck.

My opinion!

ducatidom

There are options for the R50 platform, but they are limited. You can get sliders,skids, and suspension upgrades. I actually have a set of coilover spacers that I never put in mine before I sold it. It was a good vehicle for trailrides, but not hardcore stuff IMHO. I needed to get a better seating arrangement when I had my 3rd offspring.

01silvapathy

Observer
I have to say that I love my 2001 Pathfinder Le. It has pretty much everything you need, a nice interior with heated seats, plenty of power from the VQ 3.5 and it looks good in my opinion. I just have a 2in lift on mine now running a 33x11.5 BFG AT, no sliders yet or any of that stuff. Im still in College and money is tight and the parts for these rigs are not cheap. But really for a family trail rig I would highly recommend it for you. It still behaves on the road, and you really dont notice it being lifted. They are also pretty capable off road, I follow jeeps and lifted chevy's on the trails all the time and can go over just about the same things. Plus on 33's I have more clearance in the front than a 6.5in lifted chevy on 35's because of his drop brackets. One thing I would stay away from are the older model with the 3.3 engine. People say its more reliable, but when I look at it my motor has been just as reliable and it has 70 more hp which comes in very handy. I have an additional 4in lift to put on mine that drops the front sub frame and difff to allow for more lift so it will be 6in of lift on 35's once im done :coffeedrink: Here is a pic of how she sits now.

100_1336.jpg

GetBentFab

I have to say that I love my 2001 Pathfinder Le. It has pretty much everything you need, a nice interior with heated seats, plenty of power from the VQ 3.5 and it looks good in my opinion. I just have a 2in lift on mine now running a 33x11.5 BFG AT, no sliders yet or any of that stuff. Im still in College and money is tight and the parts for these rigs are not cheap. But really for a family trail rig I would highly recommend it for you. It still behaves on the road, and you really dont notice it being lifted. They are also pretty capable off road, I follow jeeps and lifted chevy's on the trails all the time and can go over just about the same things. Plus on 33's I have more clearance in the front than a 6.5in lifted chevy on 35's because of his drop brackets. One thing I would stay away from are the older model with the 3.3 engine. People say its more reliable, but when I look at it my motor has been just as reliable and it has 70 more hp which comes in very handy. I have an additional 4in lift to put on mine that drops the front sub frame and difff to allow for more lift so it will be 6in of lift on 35's once im done :coffeedrink: Here is a pic of how she sits now.

100_1336.jpg
Looks good! Thanks for posting the picture.

Rick B

I agree with 01Silvapathy (rims look good!), I think this rig is completely overlooked and underestimated. I have the same 2" lift with 31's and it is crazy capable with some decent driving. I'm also in the process of piecing my 4" SFD and will be going with 33's.

There are several companies that currently offer sliders and at least one that offers fulls skids. ARB does currently offer a front bumper w/winch mount and (if you're lucky) there are old TJM bumpers out there (hard to find though).

SDC10530.jpg

01silvapathy

Observer
As far as I know rocky road is the only brand that makes sliders for our trucks, specifically designed for the use with a unibody. In terms of bumpers KMA makes a bumper for the truck, but I have heard it takes a long time to get, and the ARB costs 1200 bucks, and you have to wait for ARB to have atleast 2 orders for them to take out the dies to make a bumper and then ship it. But yes, definitely an overlooked rig by most people.

Rick B

As far as I know rocky road is the only brand that makes sliders for our trucks, specifically designed for the use with a unibody. In terms of bumpers KMA makes a bumper for the truck, but I have heard it takes a long time to get, and the ARB costs 1200 bucks, and you have to wait for ARB to have atleast 2 orders for them to take out the dies to make a bumper and then ship it. But yes, definitely an overlooked rig by most people.

Here's another option for sliders for the R50:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/RockSliderZ.shtml#NPF

KMA also has an option for a rear bumper/carrier, but I just don't know much about that company.

Also, if a vendor has the ARB in stock (I think AC had them in stock last year), they only take a couple weeks to get, but agreed they are way expensive...enough to make one look at a custom front bumper (e.g. Armorology is about $1300 and is probably more stout/better looking).

Good luck with your search...it's a good/solid rig.

winkosmosis

Explorer
Isn't it only Rocky Road (a terrible company) that makes a lift? And because the it has struts up front, the only option is a strut spacer, which seems to top out at 2".

RonapRhys

Adventurer
KMA is an interesting company. They had a history of poor craftsmanship and all, but recently seem to have turned the corner. From everything I hear their products still look a bit rough around the edges - welds aren't ground nice and smooth all the time, things like that. However, several people on thenewx have had great luck with them. They're definitely an option, though, and one I consider. Just know that it's possible you might have some rework/cleaning up to do.

Rick B

Isn't it only Rocky Road (a terrible company) that makes a lift? And because the it has struts up front, the only option is a strut spacer, which seems to top out at 2".

Automotive Customizers (AC) makes a 2" coil spring lift kit with optional front struts and rear shocks. NX4 (Canada) has fabricated a front strut spacer, but it is only 1". There are also options (e.g. Mr. Gasket) for a rear coil spacer, but I've heard they compress too much to be of much use.

True, the struts tend to top out with the 2" coil lift. It's easy to live with depending on how you drive your rig - it's made me drive a little slow and smoother in certain conditions.

My only word of caution would be going for the full 3" lift from AC/NX4 combo might put the CV's at more of an extreme angle (CV boots might get worn quicker or you might droop on a trail and wind up breaking an axle). I don't know, just heard some stories from folks...

It's also true that the IFS limits the lift height for front coil/spacer lifts, that's why most of us who want a bit more ground clearance and bigger tires (more than 32") research and install the Sub Frame Drop (SFD). I think most are around 4", on top of the AC 2" coil lift (totalling a 6" lift), and this can easily fit 33"+ tires. I ride with a guy who has the SFD and 31.8" BFG AT's (soon to get 33's) and he get's around great!

I have to admit, I actually get pleasure seeing peoples faces at the tops of trails when I pull my slightly modified rig next to theirs!!! :Wow1:

Everyone always asks why I didn't start my rig build with something that has better aftermarket support. I always answer, "Sure, if I'd wanted to do it the EASY way."

Besides, we are somewhat unique, don't you think 01silvapathy?

01silvapathy

Observer
Going to have to agree with you on the whole unique part! Yes it is true that the struts tend to top out with the lift, its only bad for about a week and the first time it happens it will scare the crap out of you! But you adjust to it quickly and the springs settle and its not near as bad.

I am going the route of getting a SFD (sub frame drop) I have the lift in my garage and I am just waiting for a brake line to be made for it to be installed. The sfd basically pushes down the subframe and axle while keeping the motor in the same place with blocks. The struts get spacers and there is also a steering extension. It sounds complex, but it is very simple when you do the research. So it will be 6in of lift on 35x12.5 tires. Here is a pic of the kit and some trucks with the sfd.

100_1364.jpg

thunderboltsfdflex.jpg

sfd2.jpg

Rick B

Yep, almost pooped myself the first time I took a speed bump too fast and the struts topped! It definitely got better in the 1st year - agreed.

Please don't feel like 01silva and I are hijacking the thread, I think we just both agree that these rigs are cool in their own way. He's way ahead of me with the SFD, but we are both on the same basic "path" (pun totally intended!).

Just an FYI, I took that photo of David's Pathy at China Wall - he was only 1 of 3 rigs (out of our 7) that could make it over that rock pile that day!!! We had several moderately modified 4Runners and an Xterra that day too.

Can't wait to see the Silver on 35's! You'll have to post some photos of that and post here so people can see our rig's true potential!!!

Great rig...again, good luck on the search!

Edit: Oops, I was wrong, here are the ones I took:

IMG_4611.JPG
IMG_4612.JPG
IMG_4614.JPG
IMG_4615.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior