pulled the trigger

jgallo1

Adventurer
Pulled the trigger yesterday and after much debate, put the deposit down on a 2018 dclb tacoma long bed. Since I wont have the truck for a few weeks here is a mock up of the build.
First thing will be to join the current trend and throw some 17's on. Either going to go with 255/75/17 or 255/80/17. Have not figured that out yet, any suggestions? Next will be the OME BP-51 with new leafs in the back. If I am not cashed out, I will go with the aluminum CBI front bumper. Finally, this will be alittle down the road, I am going to order a GFC camper shell. I am really looking forward to some late summer , fall camping trips in this rig.

Attachments

• IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 49

chasespeed

Explorer
Congrats. Welcome...

I've had mine about 3 weeks...
The trans will take some getting used to depending on what you normally drive... but, very happy with my OR.

Enjoy.
Chase

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

sdtaco

What is the current trend of 17 inch wheels all about? I thought better to have smaller rims for off road?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jgallo1

Adventurer
What is the current trend of 17 inch wheels all about? I thought better to have smaller rims for off road?

Thats what I always thought. It seems, now the most available sizes are 17's. A few years back it was 15's and 16's. Makes sense trucks keep getting bigger. I can remember when I was a kid and 18's were a huge wheel, now 20's are common, ha ha

phsycle

Adventurer
Why not just drive the truck as is for a bit? Or are the bigger tires and a lift required for your travels?

bkg

Explorer

Brakes. Simply can’t fit a decent brake rotor/caliper combo in a 15” wheel anymore. Even 16’s are too small in many cases - 17 is the smallest you can fit on a gen-5 4Runner or f350 as an example

sdtaco

Brakes. Simply can’t fit a decent brake rotor/caliper combo in a 15” wheel anymore. Even 16’s are too small in many cases - 17 is the smallest you can fit on a gen-5 4Runner or f350 as an example
Gotcha. That makes sense.

jgallo1

Adventurer
Why not just drive the truck as is for a bit? Or are the bigger tires and a lift required for your travels?

You know I have been asking myself that question.
Here is what always happens to me. I say I will do the build later, then I end up going on a trip, getting stuck or needing to use my hi-lift, not having great recovery points etc...
Then I get home, do some more mellow stuff, and think I am fine. Then a big trip comes up, and I am scrambling trying to get things done, paying extra money b/c of time and/or cheaping out on parts or just not going.
So this time, I figured lets just get it done, that way I am ready even if it takes a few months to actually need the gear.

jgallo1

Adventurer
Yeah that makes total sense, that what I figured with the modern trucks, bigger/ heavier/ faster driving speeds, = better brakes.

chasespeed

Explorer

You know I have been asking myself that question.
Here is what always happens to me. I say I will do the build later, then I end up going on a trip, getting stuck or needing to use my hi-lift, not having great recovery points etc...
Then I get home, do some more mellow stuff, and think I am fine. Then a big trip comes up, and I am scrambling trying to get things done, paying extra money b/c of time and/or cheaping out on parts or just not going.
So this time, I figured lets just get it done, that way I am ready even if it takes a few months to actually need the gear.
Totally understand...
Ended up with this truck, because I went overboard with the Jeep, to the point I was driving a tank to make runs to Lowes....

Only "change" on my list is tires. Real ATs....

Cargo and basic functionality...

We will see how long that lasts.....

Chase

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles