Purchased an Expedition G Wagen

McBride

Adventurer
new pics from today

Here are some pics from today. Marc got a lot done and things went smooth.

The rears will be aligned (clocked), flanges welded and will likely done on Monday.

I expect Tuesday will be all about tuning the new brakes, filling the portals and diffs with fluid and other things.

Hopefully we'll be doing test drives on Wednesday.front done rear no brakes.jpgrear flange.jpgrear no brakes.jpg

McBride

Adventurer
So how much did the bushings and flares cost? I'm interested because I plan on putting 35's with 2" spacers and need wider flares. How wide are those flares? Also I plan on using poly bushings when it's time to replace them and don't know what to get. There seem to be different firmness ones out there.

I'll check on what I paid Marc for the bushings kit and flares and will measure the flares tomorrow. The flares are fiberglass and came unpainted. I can tell you that the new yellow ones are much firmer than the factory ones and a bugger to install, especially the ones on the sway bar ends.

I'll also let you know how they work out.

McBride

Adventurer
So how much did the bushings and flares cost? I'm interested because I plan on putting 35's with 2" spacers and need wider flares. How wide are those flares? Also I plan on using poly bushings when it's time to replace them and don't know what to get. There seem to be different firmness ones out there.

I just checked the estimate from Marc and the 4 fiberglass flares (unpainted) were in the $950ish range and the bushings were in the $450ish range. These came from Germany so I am sure there is shipping and taxes involved.

It would be nice to have durometer data for the various poly bushings so people can make educated choices. I can say that they yellow ones seem to be almost rigid. That is what I need for the portals on the heavy camper so that is okay. That might not be best for a standard G. You will definitely need somebody with a hydraulic press to install the bushes.

I'd talk to GFG or ORC as they seem to have a lot of G wagen suspension experience. I took the easy route and got everything thru Marc at www.ocdcustomcycles.com. He is German so he doesn't have the language barrier. His shop is currently mostly about motorcycles and racing but he has a loyal G following. If you have any questions regarding his GWagen qualifications check out his bio on his site.

I'll get you some flare measurements later.

Here is a pic showing the flares. I'm going to shape the ends as I'm not super fond of how they look out of the box.

Attachments

• flares.jpg
    flares.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 326

burquedoka

Adventurer
I saw the 5gal bucket hint William, just didn't want to blow your surprise. I shall challenge you to a bucket clearing competition with my Mog when you are done!

McBride

Adventurer
I saw the 5gal bucket hint William, just didn't want to blow your surprise. I shall challenge you to a bucket clearing competition with my Mog when you are done!

Your on! I use a bucket but you have to use a keg (not a pony keg). Even out the odds a bit.

McBride

Adventurer
first portal pic

Well, we rolled her out of the shop today and took her for a spin. Everything went great. She went back in until tomorrow afternoon. Marc will do a bunch of driving and testing, re- torqueing and finish up a couple of things.

All I can say is that it is freaking awesome! Exceeded my expectations.

I'll drive it a while and get a feel for how the vehicle has changed.

Yay!

Here are a couple of pics.side bucket.jpgfresh portal front.jpg

McBride

Adventurer
Dudes! Pics don't do it justice!

Two years of dreaming and tomorrow I pick it up!

I head out on Saturday for an eight day shakedown cruise.

Poobah, I'll wager that once you see it you'll be next!

ILIAN

Adventurer
I bet you can't fit in any car washes any more lol. I'm only 2" away from max height at my favorite car wash and putting on 40mm body lift now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94