Purchased an Expedition G Wagen

McBride

Adventurer
hutchinson boxes.jpgJeremy,

I knew you'd figure it out!

It is a military offset Hutchinson beadlock Mercedes wheel. I purchased them thru Walt at Tactical Application Vehicles. There are variations and he can help you figure out which ones you need.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
16"dia/7.5"w/63mm offset

I hope I don't burst your bubble William but that's the "standard" WA-0492 sizing/offset that Hutchinson sells retail/civilian. That doesn't mean it isn't also THE military sizing/offset too, but there are only 2 G-Wagen Hutchinson's available to the public currently;
WA-0492 like you have (16x7.5" 63et, 84.0mm centerbore, 6.82" backspacing, 40.1lbs) or WA-1207 like I had (16x7.5" 37et, 84.6mm centerbore, 5.83" backspacing, 35.6lbs);
http://www.high-impact.net/wheels/dot_approved_beadlocks.htm
(You should have the spec.pdf in your Hutchinson paperwork, but if you don't, I can email you both of these with all their respective info).
Notice the WA-0492 will have even less hubcentricness than the WA-1207. IIRC the '02+ MBUSA G's have an 85mm or 85.5mm hub bore, I'm not sure what yours has. But Hutchinson corporate swears up and down their engineers measured the vehicle hub bore at 84.6mm--bah, they either didn't measure an '02+ or their calipers need to be calibrated! All in all, you're going to have to do something about the 1-1.5mm of slop between outer bore of hub and inner centerbore of wheel, in order to minimize steering wheel shimmy. I resorted to using gaffer's tape on the inside centerbore of the wheel and while the rear of the G was on 2 jack stands, using a Go-Jack to lift the RR or LR wheel/tire up perfectly to where I could then slide the wheel/tire onto the hub/rotor(best centering the wheel/tire onto the hub), and then evenly tightening the lugs. Yes, quite the process since Hutchinson didn't nail the centerbore of the wheel.
Tony at Motorsports here in Portland OR has a plan on how to resolve this issue with hubcentric spacers. But the wheels would have to go to him to be modified; 503.244.9010

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Nice choice of tires, I have liked my two sets so far. And I am sure when the time comes I will be getting another set of BFG ATs.

Here is what mine currently look like, a proper coating of overland dust. They took a real beating today, miles of sharp rocks.

image.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Note; William has the new K02's. I look forward to hearing feedback on these, they're supposed to be even better than the aging KO's.

McBride

Adventurer
I hope I don't burst your bubble William but that's the "standard" WA-0492 sizing/offset that Hutchinson sells retail/civilian. That doesn't mean it isn't also THE military sizing/offset too, but there are only 2 G-Wagen Hutchinson's available to the public currently;
WA-0492 like you have (16x7.5" 63et, 84.0mm centerbore, 6.82" backspacing, 40.1lbs) or WA-1207 like I had (16x7.5" 37et, 84.6mm centerbore, 5.83" backspacing, 35.6lbs);
http://www.high-impact.net/wheels/dot_approved_beadlocks.htm

(You should have the spec.pdf in your Hutchinson paperwork, but if you don't, I can email you both of these with all their respective info).
Notice the WA-0492 will have even less hubcentricness than the WA-1207. IIRC the '02+ MBUSA G's have an 85mm or 85.5mm hub bore, I'm not sure what yours has. But Hutchinson corporate swears up and down their engineers measured the vehicle hub bore at 84.6mm--bah, they either didn't measure an '02+ or their calipers need to be calibrated! All in all, you're going to have to do something about the 1-1.5mm of slop between outer bore of hub and inner centerbore of wheel, in order to minimize steering wheel shimmy. I resorted to using gaffer's tape on the inside centerbore of the wheel and while the rear of the G was on 2 jack stands, using a Go-Jack to lift the RR or LR wheel/tire up perfectly to where I could then slide the wheel/tire onto the hub/rotor(best centering the wheel/tire onto the hub), and then evenly tightening the lugs. Yes, quite the process since Hutchinson didn't nail the centerbore of the wheel.
Tony at Motorsports here in Portland OR has a plan on how to resolve this issue with hubcentric spacers. But the wheels would have to go to him to be modified; 503.244.9010

Jeremy,

Thanks. I hope we got it right. There are obviously different bores for different G's. I'll try and dig up the year/model info regarding those differences.

We just did a group buy coordinated thru TAV. We were given the choice of 3 different wheel models available for the G. Here are the specs as per the current Hutchinson literature:

1 - WA 1207 - 16/7.5/37mm offset, 84.6 bore, listed as "proprietary"
2 - WA 0491 - 16/7.5/63mm offset, 85.5 bore, listed as "military"
3 - WA 0492 - 16/7.5/63mm offset, 84.0 bore, listed as "military"

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Jeremy,

Thanks. I hope we got it right. There are obviously different bores for different G's. I'll try and dig up the year/model info regarding those differences.

We just did a group buy coordinated thru TAV. We were given the choice of 3 different wheel models available for the G. Here are the specs as per the current Hutchinson literature:

1 - WA 1207 - 16/7.5/37mm offset, 84.6 bore, listed as "proprietary"
2 - WA 0491 - 16/7.5/63mm offset, 85.5 bore, listed as "military"
3 - WA 0492 - 16/7.5/63mm offset, 84.0 bore, listed as "military"

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Interesting, I'm not sure why they have 3 different centerbore dimensions.

Poohbah

Interesting thread. Out of curiosity, I pulled a wheel on my Europa 2000 swb and measured the hub. Even with my $40 calipers, I got 83.95 mm. Even with a probable high margin of error on my part, that's closer to 84 than any other number listed as choices.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Here's a picture of my '05 hub. I tried to find the cleanest spot to measure.

20150324_190433 (576x1024).jpg

Kind of a sloppy fit in my opinion. I wonder if one could find a speedi sleeve that would work...that would be a whole lot easier (and a WAY cheaper experiment) than machining the wheel.

Edit.... Like maybe this one from SKF. Catalog says wall thickness is ~.28mm. It would be a tight fit but better than sloppy as heck. Probably in the $30-50 each range.

speedi sleeve.JPG

Last edited:

McBride

Adventurer
Interesting thread. Out of curiosity, I pulled a wheel on my Europa 2000 swb and measured the hub. Even with my $40 calipers, I got 83.95 mm. Even with a probable high margin of error on my part, that's closer to 84 than any other number listed as choices.

Poobah,

Good data. Looks like the WB - 0492 would be the right Hutchinson for you. My G Camper is at OCD Custom at the moment with the axles all torn apart so I wasn't able to measure today.

I'll steal some time tomorrow to confirm the measurement on the 1980 460 axle on the camper. You should stop in to look. Seeing the process is very interesting.

William

wagsww3

Explorer
I was told by my source at Hutchinson that the 0491 was for the gas Pinzgauer. Still trying to confirm that with some local Pinz owners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles